OT: This dad is a BADASS

thefyn

• Members

None of us will ever be as badass as that guy. He's a real man.

That was some inspiring stuff but I think most parents would rise to that if that was there child, I know I would. Being a parent, My son is more important to me than anything else out there and while I thank God that he is completely healthy, I have no doubts that I would do all of that if my son were like his son. Id be puking or dead from doing a triathalon but Id still attempt it or something similar...

Good stuff for sure...

Kage

• Members
That was some inspiring stuff but I think most parents would rise to that if that was there child, I know I would. Being a parent, My son is more important to me than anything else out there and while I thank God that he is completely healthy, I have no doubts that I would do all of that if my son were like his son. Id be puking or dead from doing a triathalon but Id still attempt it or something similar...

Good stuff for sure...

Kage

I'd be an anchor for that raft I know that for a fact.

:cry:

• Members

That was the last great Iron Man Triathalon broadcast.

After that year, they took it from the fairly hard-bitten sportscasters and threw it to the sappy over-sentimentalist "human interest" people.

I used to watch this every year, and every year there were amazing stories. I remember watching this man and his son, the guy talking about how his son was such an inspiration to HIM... "my son doesn't want us to quit. He's keeping his head up, it drives me to do the same." When they couldn't finish, he was so disappointed, but his son comforted him. An incredible bond between two people.

This same year, an older lady (in her 60's I think) who had won the Iron Man some 6 times in 20 years was running it for what was probably the last time. Another lady who had weighed almost 400 lbs had used the Iron Man as a goal to lose more than 200 of it. With about 10 miles left of the marathon, the older lady slowly caught up to the second lady who was flagging, and looked ready to give up. The older lady paced her, gave her encouragement for the last 10 miles, telling her not to give up, to just keep putting one foot in front of the other, to keep in mind why she was doing this, and they finished the race together. At the end they just hugged and cried. Just remembering it makes me misty.

Every year has stories like that - I remember a Gulf War vet ran for the memory of his platoon. Fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives running together. Non-athletes who set a goal of just finishing - people crossing the finish line on their bloody knees, people who stop to help and even carry total strangers, the camaraderie of the elite competitors who understand how perfect one's body must be to win.

They play it up a bit too much now, which kinda ruins the austerity and brutality of what is probably the most difficult and grueling sporting feat a human body can endure. It needs no extra schmaltz to highlight the fact that trials like this truly do not build character, they reveal it.

• Members

After that year, they took it from the fairly hard-bitten sportscasters and threw it to the sappy over-sentimentalist "human interest" people.

I used to watch this every year, and every year there were amazing stories. I remember watching this man and his son, the guy talking about how his son was such an inspiration to HIM... "my son doesn't want us to quit. He's keeping his head up, it drives me to do the same." When they couldn't finish, he was so disappointed, but his son comforted him. An incredible bond between two people.

This same year, an older lady (in her 60's I think) who had won the Iron Man some 6 times in 20 years was running it for what was probably the last time. Another lady who had weighed almost 400 lbs had used the Iron Man as a goal to lose more than 200 of it. With about 10 miles left of the marathon, the older lady slowly caught up to the second lady who was flagging, and looked ready to give up. The older lady paced her, gave her encouragement for the last 10 miles, telling her not to give up, to just keep putting one foot in front of the other, to keep in mind why she was doing this, and they finished the race together. At the end they just hugged and cried. Just remembering it makes me misty.

Every year has stories like that - I remember a Gulf War vet ran for the memory of his platoon. Fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives running together. Non-athletes who set a goal of just finishing - people crossing the finish line on their bloody knees, people who stop to help and even carry total strangers, the camaraderie of the elite competitors who understand how perfect one's body must be to win.

They play it up a bit too much now, which kinda ruins the austerity and brutality of what is probably the most difficult and grueling sporting feat a human body can endure. It needs no extra schmaltz to highlight the fact that trials like this truly do not build character, they reveal it.

:thu: well said teebes

• Members

word

• Members

Good stuff for sure...

Kage

Why does your son have to be like his to run a triathalon with him? Its about a father and son, period. Regardless of the affliction or lack thereof.

Im sure you are very dedicated to your son, but to say that MOST parents would rise to this level is optimistic in this society today. Especially when they cant remember leaving them in a car for an hour or partying like crazy while they are missing, or just outright neglect, which I see all to often. A lot of parents out there that cant even rise to the occasion of being a parent, let alone the level this father achieved.

The problem is that we take healthy children for granted.

• Members
That was some inspiring stuff but I think most parents would rise to that if that was there child,
I know I would
. Being a parent, My son is more important to me than anything else out there and while I thank God that he is completely healthy, I have no doubts that I would do all of that if my son were like his son. Id be puking or dead from doing a triathalon but Id still attempt it or something similar...

Good stuff for sure...

Kage

Not everyone has the ability to lift a human as if they were a 12 pack like yourself. :cop:

• Members

Why does your son have to be like his to run a triathalon with him? Its about a father and son, period. Regardless of the affliction or lack thereof.

The problem is that we take healthy children for granted.

I can see how you would draw that conclusion, my bad. I do other things with my son because Quite frankly, doing a triathalon would kill me. Im always taking him to the park or running around the city with him, whatever, doing things thats all about father and son. The point I was trying to make was exactly what you said, the affliction doesnt matter, the child does...

I also should have put more emphasis on MOST parents. Ill never understand how apathetic and generally uncaring some folks are but I have to believe that most parents care a great deal about their kids and do whatever they can or are able to do with them...

Trust me, I dont even come close to taking my healthy son for granted.

Kage

• Members

Indeed... but I gotta say Broadcast Him... that {censored} is killing me.

Anyways, my probable brother in law does triathlons and trains with DC Mayor Fenty. I'm gonna send him this link and tell him he's a {censored} for not doing this(mayor has foot cast at the moment and missed a triathlon).

Archived