Was Cliff Burton really that great?

thinkpad20

• Members

Dude, youre retarded. Cliff was a {censored}ing baller at bass. He created some of the most badass songs and is looked at as an icon now. Thats stupid to say he became a martyr when he passed.

I was talking about Cobain, dip{censored}. And learn to use punctuation, it'll make you look more intelligent. Well, maybe not.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
:lol:
No I'm not a fan either; but another thread on Cobain (which was actually intended as a parody thread of this one, lol) turned into a big {censored}fest

Yeah, I forgot this forum prides itself on blind worship of rock gods present and past, and those who cross them are "retarded", "stupid", etc.

Here on HCAF, you are not allowed to not love EVH, Cobain, {insert overrated musician here}

• Members

Nope. Reading comprehension can be fun. Try it sometime.

No, it's more the fact that I didnt feel like goin back and reading what you said. Your comment makes it seem like it was directed towards cliff too. Has nothing to do with comprehension skills. EAT ME.

• Members

No, it's more the fact that I didnt feel like goin back and reading what you said. Your comment makes it seem like it was directed towards cliff too. Has nothing to do with comprehension skills. EAT ME.

Sweet {censored}, are you really that stupid? You can't be bothered to read what someone wrote, but then you write a smartass comment and call me a retard? Wow, that's the pot calling the kettle black.

Why would I reference Cobain, then follow it up with a statement using the word "he" but really mean both Cobain and Burton? WTF?

My God dude, stay in school. Go back to school. Something.

• Members

Sweet {censored}, are you really that stupid? You can't be bothered to read what someone wrote, but then you write a smartass comment and call me a retard? Wow, that's the pot calling the kettle black.

Why would I reference Cobain, then follow it up with a statement using the word "he" but really mean both Cobain and Burton? WTF?

My God dude, stay in school. Go back to school. Something.

LOL dude you need to chill. Dont get soo worked up over words on a screen from some one you dont know. Even if you wernt talkin about cliff and instead you were talkin about cobain, my point still stands. I called you a retard with the upmost respect. haha

• Members

Just looking for opinions. I know he's legendary and all of that, but I think that's due in no small part to his untimely death. Obviously he had his moments (Orion, Anesthesia, Call of Ktulu) but overall I don't really hear much revolutionary or anything from him. I think there were bassists earlier and later who were much better, both from a technical point of view and from a creativity point of view. He was a good, solid bassist who came up with some cool lines, but not the god of bass that his reputation would seem to suggest. Then again he also was kind of pwned by the mix a lot of the time.

This might be kind of blasphemous, but hey, I call it like I see it. Feel free to respond/discuss.

Haven't you already done this thread?

For pure raw agression I don't think anyone back in his time could touch him. He was a scary hateful mother{censored}er onstage and conversly was as sweet and humble offstage as you'd ever imagine (yes...I got to meet him twice).

I don't think his reputation is that of a "god of bass". It's not like they are teaching "Anesthesia" in college music theory courses or anything. But he WAS a good, if not great, bass player and the whole aesthetic of Metallica obviously changed quite a bit when he died (at a minimum you certainly never heard AS MUCH bass on their albums and the quality of their writing waned quite a bit...something that Cliff himself probably would not have accepted). At a minimum I think it's safe to say that the Black Album/Load/Reload/St. Anger debacles would have never occurred under Cliff's watch and he also would have insisted on there being at least SOME bass on AJFA.

As far as the other suggestions for great bass players, the best bass player alive in terms of knowledge, chops, versatility, songwriting ability is without a doubt Christian McBride. Victor Wooten may be balls out more impressive from an in-your-face chops standpoint but Christian can do all that and more, but CHOOSES to play the role of a bass player...not that of a guitar player with a bass rig.

So anyways...yeah...nobody touches Christian McBride.

For rock...I like the guy from Mudvayne, Alex from Cannibal Corpse, and of course the inimitable Steve Harris.

• Members

Well in 3.5 years with Cliff in the band they managed to release 3 albums and still influenced a 4th one, which are still considered their best work! He didn't only contribute bass work...he co-wrote many of those songs and was a whiz at music theory!

Before they released the Black Album, James said Cliff would've kick our ass if we took 2 years to release albums!

James also mentioned this "We never would have written guitar harmonies or instrumentals or songs with very intricate melodies and orchestrations without Cliff. We wouldn't be where we are today."

^^^^^That sums it up. He was the complete musician package. Technical playing an important part of that but not the only part. He helped for the music and the sound. Also subtle bass nuances are ften deep in the mix.

See JPJ.

Alos saw them open for Ozzy on the Master of Puppets tour. Cliff was great and as much as I love Uncle Oz and dig Jake.....Metallica killed that night in Detroit!

• Members
LOL dude you need to chill. Dont get soo worked up over words on a screen from some one you dont know. Even if you wernt talkin about cliff and instead you were talkin about cobain, my point still stands. I called you a retard with the upmost respect. haha

Fair enough. Dip{censored}. :lol::poke:

Archived