Will a 25w speaker handle a 30w rated amp?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

With a multimeter; would it be possible to measure voltage and current as it's going to the speaker, multiply the two to find the watts being produced and mark the volume knob on the amplifier at the point where it starts to produce more power than the speaker is rated for?

• Members

it isn't as though 25.1 Watts and the speaker blows. you can push way more than 25W as long as the speaker can recover.

the issue will be whether the speaker can dissipate the heat. distorted tones deliver more energy than do dynamic since they are basically square waves.

I have blown speakers rated at over twice the amps rated power delivery because I pushed hard for an extended time and the speaker couldn't dissipate the heat. that sucker was hot.

• Members

it isn't as though 25.1 Watts and the speaker blows. you can push way more than 25W as long as the speaker can recover.

the issue will be whether the speaker can dissipate the heat. distorted tones deliver more energy than do dynamic since they are basically square waves.

I have blown speakers rated at over twice the amps rated power delivery because I pushed hard for an extended time and the speaker couldn't dissipate the heat. that sucker was hot.

Our bass player once burned a 4x10 cab to the ground on stage.:lol:

• Members

With a multimeter; would it be possible to measure voltage and current as it's going to the speaker, multiply the two to find the watts being produced and mark the volume knob on the amplifier at the point where it starts to produce more power than the speaker is rated for?

arent voltage and current the same thing?

• Members

arent voltage and current the same thing?

No, but it seems like they're closely related. Voltage is measured in volts and current is measured in amps.

Electrical power is measured in watts. In an electrical system power is equal to the voltage multiplied by the current.

The way it's often described is as water coming through a hose.

The voltage is equivalent to the water pressure, the current is equivalent to the flow rate, and resistance is the diameter of the pipe.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question501.htm

Good fairly easy to understand article ^

• Members

I was reading about this the other day.

This from the Avatar Cab FAQ page:

(http://www.avatarspeakers.com/)

"5. Can I use an amp that has a smaller power rating than that of the speaker cabinet wattage rating?"

...For example, having a 15 or 18 watt power tube guitar amp and turning up most of the way produces great tone but you still need the speakers to have a combined total speaker rating that is higher than the amps rating because the amp can still overheat the speakers.

• Members

No, but it seems like they're closely related. Voltage is measured in volts and current is measured in amps.

Electrical power is measured in watts. In an electrical system power is equal to the voltage multiplied by the current.

The way it's often described is as water coming through a hose.

The voltage is equivalent to the water pressure, the current is equivalent to the flow rate, and resistance is the diameter of the pipe.

Good fairly easy to understand article ^

To add to this, wattage = current x voltage. 2 amps at 120 volts = 240 watts.

Archived