G Major owners, come in here!!!

MattACaster

• Members

So I'm curious what how all you G Major users have your rigs setup. Whats amps do you use? What floorboards do you use with it? How do you have your floorboards setup as far as changing patched or effects? What do you like or dislike about the unit? Any advice you can offer to someone who is thinking about getting one?

• Members

I used mine with an FCB1010 to switch channels and FX all in one with two Dual Rectos and a Mark IV (Individually, not all together :D) I really enjoyed those setups. I've used it with my XTC too but I'm loving my TimeFactor right now.

I would say the delays are pretty nice, as are the reverbs, but the modulation effects leave a little to be desired. I mean, I got a nice choruses clean that I really like, but even so. Noise gate is pretty useful though.

• Members

I didn't like how it (by design obviously) placed the compressor in the loop, essentially making the comp useless.

I also had issues with the amount of tone it sucked.

I sold mine because of the tone suckage as well as:

1. No mixdown of stereo effects to mono. I even have an email from TC tech support where they admit this is an oversight and a mistake. Pretty major one for anyone who wants to get the most out of the chorus effect or doesn't feel like reprogramming the delay.

2. Opposite of above poster's impression. I thought the delay and ESPECIALLY the reverbs were highly unimpressive. That's what TC thinks a spring reverb sounds like? Are they nuts? I am drop dead serious when I say that a Pod has more authentic spring reverb, and warmer delays than the TC.

3. Nearly impossible to set patches up for unity gain. Get them all working at the right volume and as soon as you make a minute adjustment somewhere else all your patches suddenly had different volume levels. I'm sure there was a cure but by that point I just didn't care. I have a Boss GX-700 that IMO sounds way better and had none of the above issues.

Sorry didn't mean to make this a bash thread so to answer the question.

I ran it in the loop of my Mark IV. Unfortunately the unit isn't set up to be able to do the "4 cable method" so I couldn't get the most out of the compressor either. Obviously I wasn't happy at all with the unit and sent it back.

I controlled it with a Ground Control Pro board into a GCX unit. The TC responded SLOWLY to controller changes (not program changes...CC changes mind you)...yet another reason why it went back.

• Members

I didn't notice any tone suckage when I ran it through the loop of my Mark... maybe the tiniest bit of change but I might as well have been imagining it. Especially considering the price. Now it's permanently in between my preamp and power amp so I can't really a/b but I go by my past observations. Anyway it's pretty kickass and amazingly powerful and versatile for the price (and I can't really compare up seeing as it's the most expensive unit I've owned, unless you count the PODxt, in which case it totally pwns it).

For control I use an old-as-dirt ART X-11. It gets the job done, but I'd like to get something like an FCB1010 for the ability to use CCs and the expression pedals.

• Members

I sold mine because of the tone suckage as well as:

1. No mixdown of stereo effects to mono. I even have an email from TC tech support where they admit this is an oversight and a mistake. Pretty major one for anyone who wants to get the most out of the chorus effect or doesn't feel like reprogramming the delay.

2. Opposite of above poster's impression. I thought the delay and ESPECIALLY the reverbs were highly unimpressive. That's what TC thinks a spring reverb sounds like? Are they nuts? I am drop dead serious when I say that a Pod has more authentic spring reverb, and warmer delays than the TC.

3. Nearly impossible to set patches up for unity gain. Get them all working at the right volume and as soon as you make a minute adjustment somewhere else all your patches suddenly had different volume levels. I'm sure there was a cure but by that point I just didn't care. I have a Boss GX-700 that IMO sounds way better and had none of the above issues.

Sorry didn't mean to make this a bash thread so to answer the question.

I ran it in the loop of my Mark IV. Unfortunately the unit isn't set up to be able to do the "4 cable method" so I couldn't get the most out of the compressor either. Obviously I wasn't happy at all with the unit and sent it back.

I controlled it with a Ground Control Pro board into a GCX unit. The TC responded SLOWLY to controller changes (not program changes...CC changes mind you)...yet another reason why it went back.

Yeah, there is some tone suckage but it's not a super high quality unit so I kinda expected that in a way.

• Members

Yeah, there is some tone suckage but it's not a super high quality unit so I kinda expected that in a way.

I kind of did too. At the price it sells for I was wondering how a TC unit could be of such high quality yet be so inexpensive. I found out real quick.

• Members

I use it with my fireball and an FCB1010 to switch effects and channels.

I have it set as follows:

patch one is just my amps "clean" channel with no effects (a slight "boost" - which technically is "less dB cut" than other channels - compared to other patches due to the lower volume of my clean channel).

patch two is the same with some chorus added.

patch three is the amps rhythm (distorted) channel with no effects

Patch 4 is the lead setting - it's the amps rhythm channel set to 0dB (boosted or "less dB cut") with a 526ms (or something similar) delay and a SLIGHT HINT of reverb added.

patch 5 is a 2 octave up whammy setting.

I switch between those with pedals numbered 1-5 on the fcb1010.

pedals 6-10 on the fcb1010 are setup as "stompboxes" of sorts. Number 6 turns on chorus on ANY patch, 7 is a phaser pedal, 8 is an EQ but i dont use it anymore, 9 is currently not doing anything and 10 is a tuner mute - which does exactly what it sounds like.

Exp pedal 1 is a volume pedal that i dont use really and 2 is a whammy when the g-maj is set to the whammy patch - otherwise it does nothing.

I like the unit altho it's not particularly sturdy. The knobs and wheels on the front are notorious for falling off and one of mine has broken slightly.

I dont like reverb generally at all so i cant comment on how good it is. I like the delays and they are quite versatile in general. The phasers are also not too shabby - many different sounds to be had.

Be very gentle with the unit as they tend to react very poorly to being bashed around. Mine is in a hardcase (not a padded roadcase) and if it gets belted against something - it tends to not work right until i open it up and push a little chip back into place.

All in all - i love mind and didnt notice much tone suckage. I actually perfer the tone of the amp WITH the unit in the loop.

• Members

I use it with my fireball and an FCB1010 to switch effects and channels.

I have it set as follows:

patch one is just my amps "clean" channel with no effects (a slight "boost" - which technically is "less dB cut" than other channels - compared to other patches due to the lower volume of my clean channel).

patch two is the same with some chorus added.

patch three is the amps rhythm (distorted) channel with no effects

Patch 4 is the lead setting - it's the amps rhythm channel set to 0dB (boosted or "less dB cut") with a 526ms (or something similar) delay and a SLIGHT HINT of reverb added.

patch 5 is a 2 octave up whammy setting.

I switch between those with pedals numbered 1-5 on the fcb1010.

pedals 6-10 on the fcb1010 are setup as "stompboxes" of sorts. Number 6 turns on chorus on ANY patch, 7 is a phaser pedal, 8 is an EQ but i dont use it anymore, 9 is currently not doing anything and 10 is a tuner mute - which does exactly what it sounds like.

Exp pedal 1 is a volume pedal that i dont use really and 2 is a whammy when the g-maj is set to the whammy patch - otherwise it does nothing.

I like the unit altho it's not particularly sturdy. The knobs and wheels on the front are notorious for falling off and one of mine has broken slightly.

I dont like reverb generally at all so i cant comment on how good it is. I like the delays and they are quite versatile in general. The phasers are also not too shabby - many different sounds to be had.

Be very gentle with the unit as they tend to react very poorly to being bashed around. Mine is in a hardcase (not a padded roadcase) and if it gets belted against something - it tends to not work right until i open it up and push a little chip back into place.

All in all - i love mind and didnt notice much tone suckage. I actually perfer the tone of the amp WITH the unit in the loop.

Thanks for the description! :thu:

• Members

I've talked about it a lot in previous threads; just didn't feel like writing the same thing for the 1000th time... I'm sure you know what I mean ;)

Anyway I don't really use much in the way of effects... which is maybe why I'm easily pleased :confused: I basically bought it because it was (relatively) cheap, and could do everything I've ever felt I needed with the exception of boost and wah, for obvious reasons. Its noise gate has even replaced my Decimator; it's quite powerful (and the Rock Master is pretty quiet which helps). I have 5 main patches:

1) Clean channel with chorus, reverb, delay

2) Distortion channel with noise gate (for rhythms)

3) Distortion channel with volume boost, a bit of reverb and delay (main lead)

4) Same as above but with a lot more reverb and delay (spacey/doomy lead)

5) Crunch channel... haven't really messed around with it too much so right now it's dry, with a volume boost to compensate for my RM's crunch channel being quieter than the other two (:confused:).

You can hear a demo of the clean channel with effects in this clip (the buzzing/clipping has nothing to do with the unit, just badly recorded :p). Unfortunately I don't have a comparison of the same channel recorded without effects, but I promise you it sounds way better with.

• Members

Looks interesting...

I don't see it on Rocktron's website though. I assume they don't make them anymore?

whew...I though you already had bought a G Major. I felt bad for {censored}ting all over your New Effect Day.

• Members

sounds like some people have a 'very funny form of retardation' when it comes to setting one up lol

I use mine with the fcb pretty and use it in a midi chain with my JVM

I use the loop switcher of the JVM to take it out of the loop for all the horrible tone suckage :rolleyes:

I dont like the the wheels become sensitive over time but its an easy fix see my sig!!

I find the whammy better than a whammy pedal , noise gate is killer

delays and reverbs good , flanger is a bit :facepalm:

I set up patches which also switch my amp channels and enjoy very much :cool:

• Members

I find the whammy better than a whammy pedal , noise gate is killer

delays and reverbs good , flanger is a bit
:facepalm:

I think the whammy sounded killer, but it responded very slowly to the CC on my ground control pro. And I've used the expression pedal map to CC on enough units to where I don't believe for a second that it was my midi controller or expression pedal. I thought the noise gate worked great too. The compressor was great but somewhat useless considering you cannot use the "4 cable method". Chorus was awesome too...but not mixed down to mono and having to use a Y-cable is/was weak.

Maybe it could have been tweaked...but I thought the unit had enough other shortcomings that I was no longer willing to spend the time on it. I'm really surprised at all the praise for the delays and reverbs...I have several Roland units that I think blow it away in both categories. As well I'm more a fan of the Echoplex delay which I think the Line 6 DL-4 does best for the money (it actually effects the guitar tone as well as the delay...just like my real Echoplex did before I foolishly sold it in '91).

Archived