O/T: Is this a rip-off or what?

petejt

• Members

Ok, so although I'm still {censored}en sick and tired of Metallica and the crap surrounding them, and definitely not hooked on the rampant immature fanboyism etc. etc. etc. :blah:

But no matter what, I still enjoy their music they created and performed in the past, and will continue into the future.

Including this new album which I've been deliberately avoiding for over a year now.

Anyway, just this evening, out of the blue, I see Kirk Hammett ripping it up on a red Flying V, James howling into a microphone, & the word Metallica flash across the screen.

Then that bloody ugly hairy album cover comes up on the screen :facepalm:

(and I wouldn't have known it looked like that if I didn't visit Harmony Central.com )

Although I didn't catch the release date, is was evident that this new album actually will be available in local music shops very soon.

I haven't seen a Metallica advertisment on the telly since 1999. So this was a little bizarre for me.

So after dinner, I hopped online to search for the release date. I came across Sanity.com which were offering pre-sales of a box set for Metallica's new album. I thought it was pretty cool, as not only does the box set have demo versions of the songs, it also has a 'making of' documentary, which is something I campaigned for when I used to be a member of the Metallica Club (I quit last year because I had more than enough of their bull{censored}).

Regardless of the crap, I really enjoy learning about how musicians create their tones (hence my participation in the forums of Harmony Central), and the recording process, so I'd like to own this box set.

But, why the {censored}en hell should a box set cost over $200 bucks!??? :eek:

Is this bull{censored} or WHAT? :mad:

(this is an exact copy and paste from the web site, except I re-formatted the word "Metallica" so it ain't fully capitalised- I can't stand that patronising malarky..

-------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.sanity.com.au/product/product.asp?sku=2112877

Metallica Coffin Box L / Death Magnetic Coffin Box L (CD)

mms2112877.jpg

Recommended

Catalogue: 1780460

Released: Sat 13 Sep 08

Genre: Hard Rock > Hard Rock > Metal

Price:

$209.99 (incl GST)

(Approx US $164.14 / GBP

• Members

It's worth whatever someone will pay for it.

Just don't buy it.

But maybe if it is ltd edition you could buy it and sell it in 100 years for mega millions.

I think the "limit" in limited edition is limited by how many people are willing to spend $200 in it as opposed to how many they make.

• Members

I think the "limit" in limited edition is limited by how many people are willing to spend $200 in it as opposed to how many they make.

I hope that's true.

I just don't want to get caught by this thing. Sure enough things become available on the Internet later on, but I like the quality of the original package.

But still, I cannot understand why this thing costs over $200.

The album itself should only cost $30 MAXIMUM. With all the rest thrown in, it shouldn't be anything over $70 including "reasonable" markup for profit.

Archived