southtexslinger

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I went into Gi-Tard Center today and played this thing for a long time, with three different guitars. I had cash in pocket to take it home.

Gain was lifeless and cardboardy. Cleans were dull and thin. I could not dial in a tone that could close the deal. It just sounded cheap. I really wanted to like this amp, because it had everything I was looking for in a small recording/bedroom tube amp. On paper this thing is bad ass, but that's were it stops. I am not an electrical engineer, but perhaps the size of this thing plays a role, as they are cramming 15 pounds of {censored} into a 5 pound bag.

My Blackheart Little Giant with new tubes and a few pedals in front blows this thing out of the water. It's also $400 less.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I went into Gi-Tard Center today and played this thing for a long time, with three different guitars. I had cash in pocket to take it home.

Gain was lifeless and cardboardy. Cleans were dull and thin. I could not dial in a tone that could close the deal. It just sounded cheap. I really wanted to like this amp, because it had everything I was looking for in a small recording/bedroom tube amp. On paper this thing is bad ass, but that's were it stops. I am not an electrical engineer, but perhaps the size of this thing plays a role, as they are cramming 15 pounds of {censored} into a 5 pound bag.

My Blackheart Little Giant with new tubes and a few pedals in front blows this thing out of the water. It's also $400 less.

I tried one a couple of days ago and my expierience was exactly the opposite....must have been something wrong with the one you tried....maybe the bias was set wrong?

• Members

I tried one a couple of days ago and my expierience was exactly the opposite....must have been something wrong with the one you tried....maybe the bias was set wrong?

My experience wasn't so hot either. I returned mine the next day. I really, really wanted to like it. Did you try to roll back the volume on the guitar while playing it? Yeah, it doesn't clean up at all. Very disappointing. Deal killer actually. The tube blend and wattage were too subtle for my tastes also, really didn't do much. It was also really fizzy/noisey. It sounded "cheap", and it's not. It's fairly expensive for what it is. I passed.

• Members

My experience wasn't so hot either. I returned mine the next day. I really, really wanted to like it. Did you try to roll back the volume on the guitar while playing it? Yeah, it doesn't clean up at all. Very disappointing. Deal killer actually. The tube blend and wattage were too subtle for my tastes also, really didn't do much. It was also really fizzy/noisey. It sounded "cheap", and it's not. It's fairly expensive for what it is. I passed.

I'm up to attempt number 3 to like the amp...The cleans are getting worse to my ears and the gain is a little less buzzy than my AD60VTX but not really that much better if at all. A great $300 amp but a bad $599 amp.

• Members

The Rebel I tried sounded great....its a MIC amp so it wouldn't surprise me if some were set up wrong from the factory.

• Members

Consider, if you would, that this amp is built with chinese parts. There is nothing wrong with that, however, the tolerances may be way off on some amps and closer on others, which might account for the sound differences between each amp.
Just a thought...

• Members

Consider, if you would, that this amp is built with chinese parts. There is nothing wrong with that, however, the tolerances may be way off on some amps and closer on others, which might account for the sound differences between each amp.

Just a thought...

This is most likely the case. The good ones sound amazing, the way they are supposed to, but the bad ones sound very mediocre. Do you think it would be an expensive fix if I happened to get a bad apple? I love everything this amp has to offer, but I don't know if I want to risk getting a bad one

Archived