Smoking MJ and songwriting

Guest Anonymous

• Members

My opinion is that marjuana smells like s**t. If s**t is what inspires you, then by all means, smoke some weed.

Or you
could
just listen to the radio.
:D

Do you mean as bad as -- or similar to...?

Because the first is a subjective matter but the latter might indicate an impaired olfactory system. ;)

I do believe there is a type of marijuana which is reputed to remind people of the smell of skunk pheromonal excretia. But that is, as I understand it, prior to combustion.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Do you mean
as bad as
-- or
similar to
...?

Because the first is a subjective matter but the latter might indicate an impaired olfactory system.
;)

I do believe there is a type of marijuana which is
reputed
to remind people of the smell of skunk pheromonal excretia. But that is, as I understand it,
prior
to combustion.

I wouldn't say it smells exactly like s**t, but if scents could be categorized in a manner similar to the color spectrum, I'd say weed would at least be a shade of s**t. Skunks, not really, though they do smell horrible in their own right.

Or let's say smells were like musical notes...ah, never mind.

• Members

Many many people, and not just 1 out of 10, and 9 out of 10 of the druggies that I knew started out smoking some weed, so no one is going to convince me that it's not a much more serious problem than some people in this thread are making it out to be.

But that's not a valid measure. 10 out of 10 people who die in skiing accidents probably started by driving to a ski slope, but that says nothing about driving. And every drug addict will have started by taking some drug, and probably it was actually alcohol, not pot that they took first since it's most available. They then go on to other things because, well, they are drug addicts. So no matter what they started off on, they'd have gotten to more serious drugs one way or another probably. It says nothing about pot leading to more serious drugs, it just says that pot is a drug and if you take a lot of drugs you are likely to smoke pot.

And really, really good pot actually smells quite sweet and not unlike pine needles or something like that. Not that I can stand smoke of any kind anymore, no matter what it smells like.

• Members

Peace

I like to smoke grass. I like to smoke grass when I play. Not all the time am I high, not all the time do I smoke to play. I have had several musicians tell me that they think I play better when I have a light buzz on. Not stoned off my ass on some Hash oil or some heady buds. But a nice light high to help you relax and find the space in the music. Does weed make me better? I don't think so. Does not smoking weed make me better? No, just different. I like trying both.

dk

• Members

How many songs were written in 2007? I'm talking about major artists, independant artists . . . songs on the Billboard top twenty, songs in coffeehouses, songs that never left a basement. A billion? Ten billion?

How many of those songs really seperated themselves from the pack, songs that - for someone out there at least - will always make them think of 2007? A few hundred maybe?

The point is that you've got to find some way of making yourself stand out, and more often than not that comes with finding a new perspective, musically, lyrically, spiritually, whatever. If pot leads you to a new perspective, great! If it's wine, or nature, or love, or other music, or whatever, great!

As the wise Stevie Winwood once sang, "Do what you like."

• Members

You know... I was going to answere all your quotes with a buch of smart remarks, but as I was reading each one, I realized that you are looking for answeres, and it is more constructive to give you them, and I'm glad I did.

Thank you.

Peace

• Members

dk

You know... I was going to answere all your quotes with a buch of smart remarks, but as I was reading each one, I realized that you are looking for answeres, and it is more constructive to give you them, and I'm glad I did.

Thank you.

Peace

• Members

Thank you.

Peace

Ok so it sounds like METH was the problem not pot. I think its irresponsible of YOU to try and equate them.

Back on topic, I feel drugs can make you write some different things. But as stated there are safer things to do to get inspired. I personally only really enjoy small doses of caffeine, pot, and alcohol for performance. Perhaps if I was in a jam band i would consider small doses of mushrooms or LSD. I think HARD drugs are the problem, not soft drugs. Opiates, Meth, Cocaine, Pharmaceuticals. And with any drug it should be regulated and tested extensively.

dk

• Members

"...The question is... How much better can I be without drugs?...

It annoys me how you use the blanket generic term "drugs" when the

OP's stated intention was to find out about peoples experiences

with one particular drug...

Don't confuse your own experience...which obviously went way beyond

merely smoking the odd joint every now and then.... with other peoples

experiences.

There is a world of difference between casual marijuana use and full on drug

addiction.

Ask yourself what it may've been like if you'd just stuck with pot and

left the meth and other "harder" substances well alone.......

• Members

Ok so it sounds like METH was the problem not pot. I think its irresponsible of YOU to try and equate them.

Back on topic, I feel drugs can make you write some different things. But as stated there are safer things to do to get inspired. I personally only really enjoy small doses of caffeine, pot, and alcohol for performance. Perhaps if I was in a jam band i would consider small doses of mushrooms or LSD. I think HARD drugs are the problem, not soft drugs. Opiates, Meth, Cocaine, Pharmaceuticals. And with any drug it should be regulated and tested extensively.

dk

I know the US government is a big believer in the productivity results of methamphetamine (they supply variations of meth to our soldiers in the field and to long-duty pilots in charge of nuclear weapons tasking) but I think it is the devil's work, myself. I'm not getting all moral here -- I know extreme circumstances can require drastic measures. But the creation of song -- and just getting through everyday life -- is not a drastic measure.

A lot of people -- particularly GI's and ex-soldiers as well as those who move from X* to meth use -- tend to think of meth as a "light" drug -- but it is absolutely not. It may be cheap -- but it's effects are not.

I have seen people rotted away from the inside by it. It depletes the body of important nutrients, those who chronically use it compound the problem by neglecting their diet and health. There are also profound psychological effects after continued use. Anyone who has seen the pathetic sight of a tweaker locked in his room with all the shades drawn and windows closed tight muttering about how he can hear the people on the street a story or two below talking about him knows what I mean.

The conflation of the effects of methamphetamine with marijuana is not just silly but patently irresponsible.

* And anyone in danger of fooling himself into thinking that X (ecstasy, aka MDMA) is harmless should do some serious homework.

• Members

Certainly LSD/MDMA are heavily brain chemical altering drugs and dangerous, not necessarily in the immediate term but longer term. I did my share of LSD back in the day, and I'm not unhappy that I did, because I feel that it made me a much more introspective and less absolutist person. But I think I could have gotten those benefits with just a couple of times, not the probably 25'ish times I did it.

But it's definitely an eye opening experience to realize that the only thing between your view of the world and a completely different view of the world is a couple micro-grams (an extremely small amount) of a chemical.

I'm amazed these days that I could have done that. I barely even do more than have a glass of wine now and again these days because of anxiety problems. Anything that causes any unusual feelings or symptoms can cause me to have an anxiety attack. If I did acid now, it would over. I'd end up drooling onto my straight jacket for the rest of my days.

• Members

It annoys me how you use the blanket generic term "drugs" when the

OP's stated intention was to find out about peoples experiences

with one particular drug...

Don't confuse your own experience...which obviously went way beyond

merely smoking the odd joint every now and then.... with other peoples

experiences.

There is a world of difference between casual marijuana use and full on drug

addiction.

Ask yourself what it may've been like if you'd just stuck with pot and

left the meth and other "harder" substances well alone.......

There where years that I just smoked pot, and maybe drank a beer once in a while. I too use to think I was more inspired by the pot, but it turns out it was all in my head because of the pot, and only other people who smoked pot thought it was more inspiring cause they where high too.

THAT'S WHAT POT DOES!!!

I was a legend in my own mind...:lol:

• Members

There's some 'ex-sinners tend to become the most absolute moralists' syndrome going on here, I think. I don't want to encourage anyone to do drugs, but it's silly to pretend it hasn't been involved in the creation of some amazing music. The answer isn't to try to pretend it's a completely negative influence, but to make sure that people understand that there's a potentially high price to pay in return for those benefits it does offer (mostly in health issues.)

You think that the creation of the Revolver and Sgt Peppers albums wasn't fairly heavily influenced by drugs? I think that even non-stoned people agree that those are amazing albums. I think that the issue is that if you are not a great musician, taking drugs isn't going to make you one. If you are, it may provide you with some inspiration that you can then apply your great musicianship to. The question is whether you can avoid the pitfalls that come with that.

• Members

It seems like there are many people here that do drugs, so I am not going to post any more of my anti drug mumbo jumbo, because it won't do any good anyway, and I am allready under attack from all sides.

So My personal opinion to this thread is this...

I get a better high off of music than any drug I have ever taken, and smoking pot would ruin my music high, so my opinion is... no. Not for me any way.

People are going to do and/or believe what ever they want to, but for me... music is the best high, and I feel blessed to have the little bit of musical talent that I have.

Peace to all of you.

• Members

There's some 'ex-sinners tend to become the most absolute moralists' syndrome going on here, I think. I don't want to encourage anyone to do drugs, but it's silly to pretend it hasn't been involved in the creation of some amazing music. The answer isn't to try to pretend it's a completely negative influence, but to make sure that people understand that there's a potentially high price to pay in return for those benefits it does offer (mostly in health issues.)

You think that the creation of the Revolver and Sgt Peppers albums wasn't fairly heavily influenced by drugs? I think that even non-stoned people agree that those are amazing albums. I think that the issue is that if you are not a great musician, taking drugs isn't going to make you one. If you are, it may provide you with some inspiration that you can then apply your great musicianship to. The question is whether you can avoid the pitfalls that come with that.

I've never taken drugs, so I could be completely wrong. But based on the stories I've heard about a lot of "rock stars", Beatles included, is that it works for a time. It might help to "expand their minds" initially, but eventually they get too messed up to create anything, and it's all downhill from there. Drugs probably have a lot to do with what broke up the Beatles--there was a lot of weird stuff going on in their circles. Yeah, Seargent Pepper might not have turned out quite the way it did if it weren't for LSD (even though George Martin insists otherwise.) But chances are, drugs didn't make them do anything they weren't already capable of.

It's a temporary fix, but it's probably way more helpful in the long run to just read a book, or take a trip, or...something not involving weird chemicals.

• Members

But chances are, drugs didn't make them do anything they weren't already capable of.

A lot of people were *capable* of making Sgt. Peppers, but they didn't. That's kind of the point :-) We are all capable of doing things that we just never manage to think about doing. Anything that shakes you out of your status quo helps you think about things in a different way. Some things do that more than others.

Obviously it would be best if it's something with no adverse health effects, but a long run or a trip can kill you just as easily as anything else. It's all a risk. The question is can you maintain a perspective on whatever it is that gets you that high, since no matter what it is, if you become dependent on it it's bad.

• Members

Drugs probably have a lot to do with what broke up the Beatles--there was a lot of weird stuff going on in their circles. Yeah, Seargent Pepper might not have turned out quite the way it did if it weren't for LSD (even though George Martin insists otherwise.) But chances are, drugs didn't make them do anything they weren't already capable of.

Fairly awkward statement, as the two remaining aging beatles still smoke pot.. However I agree with George Martin (not a pot head, but a drinker) .. as long as they were under his watch, he made sure the music was interesting and wonderfuly produced.. he was a bloody stinking genious producer.. still is. One of my great musical heros.. I would kiss the ground he walks on if he didn't get that restraining order against me.

And of course I will once again admit that while I loved the Beatles, my favorite guys like Louis Armstrong all smoked pot.. and lots of it.. come to think of it my real heros .. guyl like Charlie Parker were heroin addicts and it likely (certainly) contributed to his early death.. but while his body and life paid the extreme price, his music (on the face.. that which is recorded and archi8ved.. however think what he COULD of done) certainly didn't.

But this takes us back to George Martin, and it is a GREAT example of the most creative mind, that needed no pot to directly be creative and interesting.

this takes us circular.. to each his own.. we all find our muses in the least likely places..

________

I'll agree with blue2blue though.. KIDS, WHATEVER YOU DO, STAY OFF THE METH.. IF EVER THERE WAS A DEVIL, IT IS IN THAT DRUG.. I too have watched completly wonderful lives and familys tore apart by the most STUPID of all drugs...

If this was a thread about 'meth' and music I would be MORE adamant than any of the anti pot people.. then again after you have lived as long as some of us, it is only fair to have REAL bias that doesn't need a phoney government report to back it up.. METH WIL KILL YOU IF YOU LET IT..

The worse pot will really do is make you lazy and prone to eating all your friends Pizza and not getting off his couch.

KEEP OFF THE F'Kn Meth! It aint cool and will turn you into a loser if you continue to do it.. it is the Devil at work.. have no doubt about it.

• Members

On the Fresh Air radio show, they had an interview with a guy who went through all of Satchmo's private correspondence (and he recorded a lot of things as well, i.e. non-musical recordings, phone calls and such.) Anyway, he found some communications with this guy, before Armstrong was going to head out for a European tour, saying that he needed to get some sheet music, and the guy replied back, and Armstrong replied back that, no, he needed a LOT of sheet music. The guy couldn't figure out why Armstrong was asking this person for a lot of sheet music before going on tour. Turns out that this was their code word for pot. He needed to load up before he headed out to Europe.

• Members

On the Fresh Air radio show, they had an interview with a guy who went through all of Satchmo's private correspondence (and he recorded a lot of things as well, i.e. non-musical recordings, phone calls and such.) Anyway, he found some communications with this guy, before Armstrong was going to head out for a European tour, saying that he needed to get some sheet music, and the guy replied back, and Armstrong replied back that, no, he needed a LOT of sheet music. The guy couldn't figure out why Armstrong was asking this person for a lot of sheet music before going on tour. Turns out that this was their code word for pot. He needed to load up before he headed out to Europe.

Thats great stuff... Louis would of been fun to rap with!

• Members

There's an excellent book on the subject of musical creativity in general, including a section on creativity and drug use. It's called "Musicians in Tune", written by Jenny Boyd. She and her sister Patti were "very close friends" with many musicians, including George Harrison and Eric Clapton.

In this book she talks to about 75 different musicians about creativity, including whether drug use helps or hinders. These musicians include Eric Clapton, Richard Thompson, Buddy Guy, Jackson Browne, Eric Burdon, David Crosby, Branford Marsalis, Willie Dixon, Stevie Nicks, Sinead O'Connor, Paul Horn, Roger Waters, Tony Williams, Nancy Wilson, Warren Zevon, Ravi Shankar, Julian Lennon and many more.

Many of these musician agree with and make many of the same points we've been discussing in this thread, both pro and con.

The book is not really about drugs, rather about the sources of creativity and how to nurture them, the need to create, how to become more creative, taking chances, "tricks of creativity", the healing and unifying powers of music, etc. Good stuff!

Archived