Smoking MJ and songwriting

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Is it just me, or does anyone else get more creative after they've smoked the pot. I'm be serious too, this isn't another stoner bragging about how when he's high he's so more enlightened and such.

I really don't smoke but about 3-5 days out of a month. Therefore I play sober more frequently than I do high, so I give my personal opinion more credit. When I'm sober, I get stuck in rutts and feel as if I am repeating myself (which I am.) I mainly make original chord progressions and mostly improvisation solos when I play by myself.

Now when I smoke those few times a month and jam out, it's like magic. No, it's not me "thinking" that I sound better. I'm not completely messed up out of my mind and don't know what's going on. I'm just buzzing really good and going all out on my improvisation soloing. It seems those barriers that are attached to my mind are destroyed whilst I'm high. You know that voice that says "this sounds like crap," or "this doesn't sound like my style," or whatever that barrier is. Well, that self-judging voice disapears completely and I'm able to JUST do what I feel like doing, not what I feel is supposed to be "right" or "sounding good."

Call me a tree hugging stoner if you wish. I am telling you the truth. In about 4 months or so I play on buying a loop station to prove this (on a personal level.) I mainly want it to remember cool things that I come up with and play along with my progressions. However I will also record random stuff that I do as well, and compare it to my "stoned" version of improvisation.

Does anyone else feel like this or have similar experiences? Doesn't have to marijuana specifically, but alcohol or any vice, OR any particular mood that heightens your musical expression. Chime in, thanks.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't smoke anymore (desparately clinging to the shores of reality these days, not trying to escape from them), but sure it's oftne true. What's going on, most of the time, I think, is that it's just getting you out of your head and into your gut. Most of us are too overly self conscious, too literal, too intellectual, too analytic most of the time, at least for good songwriting. Those things are obviously very useful most of the rest of the time. But songwriting is about emotion and if you can turn off the inner monitor, it really helps sometimes in song writing and in performance (though it can hurt performance in other ways.) It's very similar to how putting on a mask often opens people up to behavior they otherwise wouldn't allow themselves to indulge in, because it's not them doing it, it's this other person. When you get stoned, it's this other person that's doing it, who can escape from the inner critic.

The problems isn't that it doesn't work. The problem is that it does work. So you can very quickly get into a situation where you convince yourself that you can't do it without getting stoned, and that becomes a crutch that's hard to escape. It's not you who is doing the work, it's this other person, so when that other person isn't around, you can't do the work.

• Members

Allthough your experience is in fact YOUR experience, MY experience both with myself and others I have heard is, that you THINK it's freakin hot, when in fact it isn't. Your mind plays tricks on your perceptions - not on your creative skills.

Maybe you're different - and then maybe not. But if you feel good about it by all means go on. :)

• Members

Is it just me, or does anyone else get more creative after they've smoked the pot. I'm be serious too, this isn't another stoner bragging about how when he's high he's so more enlightened and such.

I really don't smoke but about 3-5 days out of a month. Therefore I play sober more frequently than I do high, so I give my personal opinion more credit. When I'm sober, I get stuck in rutts and feel as if I am repeating myself (which I am.) I mainly make original chord progressions and mostly improvisation solos when I play by myself.

Now when I smoke those few times a month and jam out, it's like magic. No, it's not me "thinking" that I sound better. I'm not completely messed up out of my mind and don't know what's going on. I'm just buzzing really good and going all out on my improvisation soloing. It seems those barriers that are attached to my mind are destroyed whilst I'm high. You know that voice that says "this sounds like crap," or "this doesn't sound like my style," or whatever that barrier is. Well, that self-judging voice disapears completely and I'm able to JUST do what I feel like doing, not what I feel is supposed to be "right" or "sounding good."

Call me a tree hugging stoner if you wish. I am telling you the truth. In about 4 months or so I play on buying a loop station to prove this (on a personal level.) I mainly want it to remember cool things that I come up with and play along with my progressions. However I will also record random stuff that I do as well, and compare it to my "stoned" version of improvisation.

Does anyone else feel like this or have similar experiences? Doesn't have to marijuana specifically, but alcohol or any vice, OR any particular mood that heightens your musical expression. Chime in, thanks.

I agree that the voice disappears, so if you are hung up on something drugs can help you get over your inhibitions and try something new (or do anything at all, if you self-medicate for depression). And I think that any time spent working at your craft is time well spent, regardless of what gets you to that point.

However, the older/less hung up I get the more I tend to trust what that voice is telling me.

Guest Anonymous

As I've said, I smoke only 4-5 times a month, and my creativity is usually decent when sober. To be honest, I bet a lot of people on this forum is at least buzzing on alcohol while they play, which is an altered state of mind.

My fiance has even commented to me about this. Another funny thing is that I have a mandolin. I only know the basic major and minor chords on it, and really suck at playing it. However when I am stoned and I pick it up, you'd swear I've been playing the thing for 10 years.

I agree about the comment if you do it too much that you rely on the substance for your music, not your true self. I'm in no way advocating that everyone should only be stoned when writing music, just sharing my experience. If I played stoned every time, I wouldn't remember half of the {censored} I played, LOL.

And I don't think I would ever play live high, maybe drinking. I've really never played in front of an audience, and I know my first few gigs I will have stage freight. If I were to smoke and play in front of 100 + (probably 10+,) I'd break into swets and probably screw up consistently.

• Members

I prefer to sniff glue before composing. It seems to work. They say it can cause brain damage, but it hasn't affected me yet. No it hasn't affected me. Nope it hasn't affected me. Not at all, it hasn't. Really, it hasn't me affected...

My therapist says I'm doing fine. Except I cry a lot. Mainly when I go on my daily visits to the morgue. The corpses look so peaceful, except they laugh at me sometimes

• Members

I haven't gotten high in a long time...but I've written (lots of) songs wasted and sober.

For me, it doesn't really matter. (I know, that really contributes to this thread). The problem is this: You will stumble upon a moment of brilliance when stoned (or drunk) and one of four things happen:

1. Yes, it was a moment of brilliance or inspiration = good song

2. It was a great moment that sucks ass the next morning = bad song

3. That great melody was borrowed from ...(insert artist here)...and you didn't realize it until much later = unintentional plagiarism/unusable song

4. I forgot = no song

I'm really not trying to be a downer here, either. Writing a great song only to realize that Barry Manilow did an element of it before isn't a bad thing....especially when you're stoned. Enjoy the moment no matter what. Laugh about it and don't take yourself too seriously.

Just write songs when they inspire you. When a song really works out well when you're wasted and sober, then you know you have something good on your hands.

• Members

I know some of the best albums and songs have been written high. But I can barely play when high and I lose focus. I do everything sober when approaching my craft. But I also live my this odd samurai/way of the guitar code...but I do love listening to music stoned and then critiquing it. Radiohead and Pink Floyd changed my life high. The radio killed it. You ever listened to commerical radio when stoned? It sucks big time!

• Members

Listening to commercial radio sucks big time, high or straight.

Yeah, but when high I can't stand it! When sober I can at least stomach it or it puts me to sleep. But when I'm high I overanalyze a lotta {censored} and it bugs me to hear all their cheap "hit writing" and formulaic techniques within the song.

• Members

The problem isn't that it doesn't work. The problem is that it does work. So you can very quickly get into a situation where you convince yourself that you can't do it without getting stoned, and that becomes a crutch that's hard to escape.

THIS.

Smokin' da 'erb definately works. Creative people have always used alcohol and drugs of all kinds to create. Edgar Allen Poe and the Beatles are two obvious examples.

Unfortunately, I'm one of those guys who used to toke all the time. When I stopped (well, OK, slowed down a lot) it took me a long time to be able to play straight. I still occasionally puff before I write or play and I still feel that it enhances my creativity and boosts my energy level. Now I try to write straight and smoke only when I'm stuck or for rewrites.

At least I got about 300 songs out of my stoner years.

• Members

It plugs up my nose......i sound like rocky balboa when I sing. But it can allow you to stumble onto some new licks or think of some new songs. I dont think I would ever want to play out with a pot buzz.... my memory is bad enough as it is . rat

Guest Anonymous

I agree. Not everytime, but it's awesome for getting out of rutts and creative lulls.

Oh and about Pink Floyd. They changed my life too!! See, I had heard songs like Money, Wish You Were Here, and Comfortably Numb (radio songs.) Well here's my story of the first time I heard Dark Side of the Moon (and got into Floyd.)

I saw that there was a Pink Floyd lazer show at the planetarium near where I live. I thought it would be cool to watch a lazer show high, and I was open to their music. Well, I got extremely gone before I got into the building.

The show began with the lights completely off and in total darkness. It started off with the heart beats in the beginning. I was SO friggin' scared at the part and almost wet myself when the screaming occurs. Then the lazer come on.... That was a life changing and spiritual experience. I never had heard that whole album, never been to a lazer show, and probably never been that high either.

Good times.

• Members

Do yourself a favor...

Put down the drugs, and let the music be your high.

or...

Keep doing drugs, and give up the notion that drugs are going to inspire you more than the music.

Your choice.

not true. music while high is the most incredible experience one can ever have. Listening to music in general is amazing, but adding something to the mix that opens up your mind a little more is amazing.

Lots of people are inspired by drugs AND music at the same time. You can't say that artists like Pink Floyd and The Beatles etc etc werent inspired by drugs at some point in their career. ESPECIALLY Pink Floyd. Drugs pretty much inspired them to start the band

• Members

It seems those barriers that are attached to my mind are destroyed whilst I'm high. You know that voice that says "this sounds like crap"

People have already given some good replies, but I'll add in my two cents as well. I agree with the above quote about the inner critic being squelched, but this can be a bit of a double-edged sword. I noticed after recording myself playing high that the next day it would normally sound not-so-great. Not that it was complete crap, but it certainly wasn't the genius that I seemed to think it was while I was under the influence. This applied both to compositions and improvisation.

I no longer partake, but if you feel that smoking makes you a better musician, whatever floats yer boat is cool with me. As others have said, some great songs have been written under the influence - my personal opinion, however, was that the musicians involved would have done just as well had they been sober.

:wave:

• Members

i personally have never danced with mary. i do although write alot of songs. i find that anything that puts me in a different mind set works. i love writing in the wee hours of the morning, or when i wake up on a saturday morning. i just hate writing in the afternoon/before 8-10 pm depending on the day. during this time there is too much real stuff going on in my head to focus on writing. i hate having to think about what to eat or what i have to do later on what is on tv when writing, so why write when that crosses my mind? the sad thing is that i've gotten repatative latley. i always want to start a song with something like "tell me what's it like....." or "tell me when....." . so i have started to look for other ways to write and i think i found what works best for me. unfortunantly i can't do this my whole life nor do i want to but it goes like so...

get girlfriend, break up with girlfriend because she cares more about another guy, pretend everything is ok, open up a bottle of nasty tasting stuff, drink a bit around 1 am, STAY AWAKE, sit in bed with favorite/only acoustic guitar for a while, play random chords and TADA, i have a new song.

i still haven't figured out how to write happy songs though, my songs are either heart break or political, or lustful, just can't get a happy song in there. but then again, i could just be a saddest and not know it.

• Members

Very philosophical Angelo. Are you studying to be an apothecary?

The statement is from Toxicology. Paracelsus (1493-1541), sometimes called the father of toxicology, wrote:

"All things are poison and nothing is without poison, only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."

That is to say, substances often considered toxic can be benign or beneficial in small doses, and conversely an ordinarily benign substance like water can be deadly if over-consumed.

• Members

so they are ALL remedies in the right dose????

pour me another one..

Do not self-test deadly substances, for example Dioxin, not even at high dilution of 1:10'000'000. Dioxin, a halocarbon compound, bioaccumulate in humans and is one of the deadliest substances known; Dioxin is sprayed on coffee fields for example.

For people who can not resist testing substances, I strongly advise testing substances at highly diluted dosage. In toxicology, the laws of potentization state that the dosage to start testing substances is the minimum dose or smallest dose needed to get the body response, but attention, with deadly substances this method is already lethal. Full toxilogical knowledge is required in order to not endanger life. Some deadly substances can be self-tested at dilution starting at 1:10

Archived