Graphic vs. parametric eq for guitar

JnBroadbent

• Members

On a parametric you can change the frequency of each band usually within a limited range, and if there is a q control how wide the band is. Sometimes even though you can change the frequency of each band it's still stepped settings (like on the low band having 80,100,120,150,200,and 250hz as the only option) and others it's a smooth transition when you sweep the frequency.

Fixed band is exactly what it says, you get fixed Q and fixed frequency with each band.

So obviously a parametric a little more versatile. Doesn't mean fixed band isn't good. Just got to find one that works for you.

Like I said in another thread, there are not that many parametrics within a reasonable price range worth a flying {censored} (IMO) and good luck finding a 5 band parametric for anything near reasonable. 3-4 is doable though.

Good luck. :thu:

• Members

The tone wouldn't be any different, not really.

They each have their advantages.

I personally find it best to use a graphic EQ in front of the amp, either for level boosting for solos (like a clean-boost but with more EQ control rather than an automatic mid-hump) or cutting (works great for dirty-clean tones while the amp's gain is cranked).

And I like using a parametric EQ in the amp's effects loop. A parametric EQ has more precise controls- you can select any frequency you want to boost or cut, and you can select how much of the frequencies around that selected frequency that you also want boosted or cut.

So say you're like Frank Zappa and want to enhance particular feedback, or want to cut some bad squealy feedback, you can 'notch' out that particular frequency by selecting a high Q (Q is how exact the frequency band is around the selected frequency, the higher the Q the narrower the band of frequencies affected) and then either boosting or cutting it.

Or say you want a wide, broad midrange boost, rather than a peaky squawky midrange boost. You can select a low Q (wide band) and set the centre frequency to say 800Hz, and raise the level of that frequency a bit.

Or maybe cut out the rumble without losing the bass? Easy with a parametric EQ.

All this stuff works more dramatically and noticably in the effects loop- so that's where a parametric EQ excels.

• Members

The tone wouldn't be any different, not really.

They each have their advantages.

I personally find it best to use a graphic EQ in front of the amp, either for level boosting for solos (like a clean-boost but with more EQ control rather than an automatic mid-hump) or cutting (works great for dirty-clean tones while the amp's gain is cranked).

And I like using a parametric EQ in the amp's effects loop. A parametric EQ has more precise controls- you can select any frequency you want to boost or cut, and you can select how much of the frequencies around that selected frequency that you also want boosted or cut.

So say you're like Frank Zappa and want to enhance particular feedback, or want to cut some bad squealy feedback, you can 'notch' out that particular frequency by selecting a high Q (Q is how exact the frequency band is around the selected frequency, the higher the Q the narrower the band of frequencies affected) and then either boosting or cutting it.

Or say you want a wide, broad midrange boost, rather than a peaky squawky midrange boost. You can select a low Q (wide band) and set the centre frequency to say 800Hz, and raise the level of that frequency a bit.

Or maybe cut out the rumble without losing the bass? Easy with a parametric EQ.

All this stuff works more dramatically and noticably in the effects loop- so that's where a parametric EQ excels.

Right on man.

How do you like the Alto Q you have? Worth it?

• Members

You bitches know nothing?

:lol::lol::lol:

Parametric EQs are more versatile but they have a steeper learning curve. It takes a while until you can related what you are hearing to what frequencies you should be cutting or boosting. It's also harder to make adjustments on the fly with a parametric eq.

I think graphic EQs are cheaper, a lot easier to use and with 31 bands, chances are every frequency you will need to tweak will be there. Guitar tones normally have a somewhat narrow frequency range anyway normally between 80Hz and 1.5KHz....

• Members
Rofl, id idn't see your review.

I can get one for 120usd new.

I'm thinking about it.
:lol:

Does it color the tone much?

It does to your tone what you set it to. Nothing else.

Parametric EQs do take a little bit longer to learn than graphic, mostly because a graphic EQ visually shows you what it's doing to your guitar signal (the position of the sliders looks like a frequency graph).

Basically, the best way to use a parametric EQ is first select the frequency you want to boost, eg. 600Hz.

Then crank its level right up to +10dB, or the highest you can go.

Then turn the Q control until it sounds like how you want. This can control how present, or "spiky"/peaked the frequency will be. A lower Q will bring up the nearby frequencies, so in a way will make the guitar sound more present without sounding honky. A higher Q will make that 600Hz stand out more, and could get obnoxious if you don't like that sound. It's weird because you could lower the centre frequency to 500Hz and it will still have that cutting sound but not quack like a duck.

So, get the frequency sounding like you want, even if it's more than you want, then lower the level to where you want that frequency to be, like a mix control.

So you could think of a parametric EQ as a mixing desk. The Frequency can be a particular instrument. The Q is the tone of that 'instrument', and the Level is the mix level.

Remember that levels of other frequencies can affect how a particular frequency will sound and stand out.

For example, you can make the tone brighter by reducing some of the midrange (be careful where you select here), without cranking the top end so much it sounds harsh.

Archived