Boosting a high gain amp....what do you use?

BradG

• Members

What pedals are you guys using to boost your high gain amps? I'm just looking to add a little more saturation but not any volume. I've been thinking OCD or BB but I don't know. There are pretty mixed reviews on both. I've tried the Keeley Katana and MXR/CAE boost but it's not really what I'm looking for. Help a brother out.:thu:

• Members

I use this with my nitro

I sold my maxon 808, keeley DS1 and Keeley baked mod tube screamer after I got it.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Funny you should mention the Nitro because that's what I'd be using it with. It has a ton of gain but I just like a tad more saturation.

• Members

Great front boosts:

Barber LTD (no nasal tube screamer mids here)

Barber Launch Pad (clean boost)

BBE Boosta Grande

MXR/CAE Boost (I know you're not hip on it but this pedal kicks much arse into my old 5150)

Maxon OD820 (booya grandma, booya)

How's that Maxon od820? From the description it kind of looks like what I'm looking for.

• Members

A noise supressor?!? Dude it's impossible to boost a high-gainer without squealing like a burning pig unless you're one of those "i have a 3 channel full tube $1500 amp but i use only the clean channel with a $50 transistor distortion pedal:facepalm::cry:" I don't know which high gainer you are using but maybe a compressor or high-output pickup's will suffice.

• Members

A noise supressor?!? Dude it's impossible to boost a high-gainer without squealing like a burning pig unless you're one of those "i have a 3 channel full tube $1500 amp but i use only the clean channel with a $50 transistor distortion pedal:facepalm::cry:" I don't know which high gainer you are using but maybe a compressor or high-output pickup's will suffice.

You must not be doing things right. Plenty of folks boost the gain channel without squealing. On the boost you turn down the gain, up the volume, tone to taste.

I use a Baja Boost clean boost to add a little thickness. I did use a Bad Monkey for a while, but sold it.

• Members

It just gives you a different feel but preserves the tone of the amp. I know what I'm doing.;)

• Members

How's that Maxon od820? From the description it kind of looks like what I'm looking for.

Awesome. I was turned onto it by Andy Sneap who lives by the OD820. Has a voltage doubler circuit so it runs 18volts and has tons of headroom. A fantastic pedal. They are expensive but worth every penny when you compare it to other pedals.

• Members

:facepalm:

wrong

• Members

Misinformation bear is misinformed.

Archived