Daily Show and Colbert Report, start watching

SexWithRobots

• Members

colbert used to be funny, but now its just a bit too much. It was better when his character was ambiguous about what side he really leaned.

daily show was barely funny after kilborne, stewart just rehashes the same {censored}ing joke every single night, and laughs harder at himself then any one in the audience. his "reporters" are usually awesome.

are you sure you are watching the right shows?

• Members
The fact that people look at this as a legit news show boggles my mind. What's next, watching Family Guy for news? Come on guys, seriously WTF?

They aren't even funny. It's just that politicians make it so easy....

Wrong:facepalm:

CNN, Fox, MSNBC, Telemundo, ect all are faithful watchers.
They're award winning for being smart. :)

After Stewart joined, The Daily Show steadily gained popularity and critical acclaim leading to his first Emmy Award in 2001. Stewart himself has also gained significant acclaim as a vocal, outspoken critic of the Bush administration and of personality-driven media shows, in particular the coverage of the U.S. news media networks CNN, Fox News Channel and MSNBC.[6] Critics say Stewart benefits from a double standard: he critiques other news shows from the safe, removed position of his "fake news" desk.[7][8] Stewart himself agrees, countering that neither his show nor his channel purport to be anything other than satire and comedy, noting that "The show that leads into me is puppets making crank phone calls." In spite of its self-professed entertainment mandate, The Daily Show has been nominated for a number of news and journalism awards[9].

And..

A more recent survey, released by the Pew Research Center on April 15, 2007, indicates that regular viewers of The Daily Show tend to be more knowledgeable about news than audiences of other news sources. Approximately 54% of The Daily Show viewers scored in the high knowledge range, followed by Jim Lehrer's program at 53% and Bill O'Reilly's program at 51%, significantly higher than the 34% of network morning show viewers. The survey shows that changing news formats have not made much difference on how much the public knows about national and international affairs, but adds that there is no clear connection between news formats and what audiences know.[64] The Project for Excellence in Journalism released a content analysis report suggesting that The Daily Show comes close to providing the complete daily news.[65]

A 2006 study published by Indiana University tried to compare the substantive amount of information of The Daily Show against prime time network news broadcasts, and concluded that when it comes to substance, there is little difference between The Daily Show and other news outlets.The study contended that, since both programs are more focused on the nature of "infotainment" and ratings than on the dissemination of information, both are broadly "equal" in terms of the amount of substantial news coverage they offer.[66]

• Members

IMO, Stewart is a douche who can only see things from his own extremely slanted point of view. He's the perfect poster boy for that part of the liberal left who love the smells of their own farts. The smugness and the condescending attitude of the show and its viewers is a big turn off for me. I've never seen a more self congratulatory group of people than Stewart fans. Well, maybe Radiohead fans.

• Members

I don't see it as news. What I do see is that they show you how much our government is run by a bunch of jack asses, how the so called news media is so biased and their no different than any other entertainment show. They only give you just a sliver of the whole picture. Stewart and Colbert is a mockery of the whole thing and it's hilarious in my opinion. Goes to show you how much politicians and news media assume how stupid people are.

Just like those Rush, Hannity and Boortz hacks. Their all part of the problem.

• Members

I don't see it as news.

But it is..

concluded that when it comes to substance, there is little difference between The Daily Show and other news outlets.

What's really sad, is that what is, ostensibly a comedy show, is, on a nght-to-night basis, as accurate as any reputable news outlet.

Whether a comedian, or a haircut in an empty suit, fact's a fact. Doesn't matter who tells it.

Fox news is what Tass was to the former soviet union-just what glorious leader wants you to believe about party victories.

There's not a single true capitalist or conservative left in the Republican party.

{censored}in' shame.:mad:

• Members
Stewart is smarter than most of the empty suits on most of the news channels.

Sucks when a comedy show is comparable to most news outlets (Got the Peabody to prove it too, sparky..)

Only seems to be a "problem" w/ taking sides when
your side
is getting exposed as charlatans..

Besides-you do realize that William Kristol admitted that they made up the whole "Liberal media" thing to scare the sheep:wave:

Like those durned "
elites
"

Awesome! I've known that the whole "liberal media" thing was b.s for decades, but I didn't know anyone had come out and admitted it out loud. :o

:thu:

• Members

colbert used to be funny, but now its just a bit too much. It was better when his character was ambiguous about what side he really leaned.

daily show was barely funny after kilborne, stewart just rehashes the same {censored}ing joke every single night, and laughs harder at himself then any one in the audience. his "reporters" are usually awesome.

Hard as it is to believe, I COMPLETELY agree with you. The only thing I watch is the reporters on The Daily Show, and then change the channel.

And Colbert just isn't funny IMO. But he was great as a reporter on the Daily Show.

• Members
IMO, Stewart is a douche who can only see things from his own extremely slanted point of view. He's the perfect poster boy for that part of the liberal left who love the smells of their own farts. The smugness and the condescending attitude of the show and its viewers is a big turn off for me. I've never seen a more self congratulatory group of people than Stewart fans. Well, maybe Radiohead fans.

That may well be true. I don't know the man personally, so I can't say that he's not an asshole.

But even if he is, it wouldn't change the fact that he's not often wrong. :cop:

Certain ideas, certain political "philosophies," certain brainless and morally bankrupt political positions *deserve* condescension, if not outright contempt.

I for one am sick and freakin' tired of the notion that we must "respect" all sides of all issues.

How wrong, how stupid, how evil does something have to be for it to become "okay" to call it wrong/stupid/evil?

Granted, I'm speaking more generally now, so I'm getting off-point regarding Stewart, specifically. But to get back on topic -- if Stewart's (or anyone else's) apparent condescension seems bothersome, it might be worth exploring whether there's a reason behind that condescension other than that person's mere ego ... :idk:

Sorry for the ranting, folks. The debate last night got me "rekindled" a bit. :)

Chris

• Members
Sorry for the ranting, folks. The debate last night got me "rekindled" a bit.
:)

Chris

Funny thing-no matter who said what last night, he's still John McCain.
We're expected to vote for 4 more years of the last eight.

The fact that baldie literally got on his knees to beg Nancy Pelosi to give him a billion dollars speaks to a point-

we literally cant afford this BS for 4 more weeks.

Let alone 4 more {censored}ing years.

• Members

Both shows are great. I don't understand how any can think Colbert is unfunny, unless you are a hardcore right winger.

I {censored}ing hate right wingers and I don't think he is funny. But that could be because I hate left wingers as much as or more than right wingers.

• Members

I think that regardless of your leaning, what I like about the Daily Show is that in order to get it you need to actually be informed.

The majority of his jokes actually require some knowledge of what's going on in the world in order to appreciate it.

Whether you agree with Stewart or not, it's nice to see there's at least one show where viewers come to laugh about things they're informed about. It means somebody out there knows what's going on.

And for what it's worth, most of the people I know who are going to college in the 18-24 demographic, including my conservative friends, think that John Stewart and Stephen Colbert are hilarious.

I think Colbert is overrated, personally, just because I feel he's taken his character pretty much as far as it can go.

• Members
I think that regardless of your leading, what I like about the Daily Show is that in order to get it, you need to actually be informed.

The majority of his jokes actually require some knowledge of what's going on in the world in order to appreciate it.

Whether you agree with Stewart or not, it's nice to see there's at least one show where viewers come to laugh about things they're informed about. It means somebody out there knows what's going on.

And for what it's worth, most of the people I know who are going to college in the 18-24 demographic, including my conservative friends, think that John Stewart and Stephen Colbert are hilarious.

I think Colbert is overrated, personally, just because I feel he's taken his character pretty much as far as it can go.

Well said, Jason. I definitely agree with your last sentence, as well. :thu:

But then, in this current political season, it has occurred to me more than once that maybe that character is still needed/useful, given the number of people who seem not to "get it." :idk:

• Members
Funny thing-no matter who said what last night, he's still John McCain.

We're expected to vote for 4 more years of the last eight.

The fact that baldie literally got on his knees to beg Nancy Pelosi to give him a billion dollars speaks to a point-

we
literally
cant afford this BS for 4 more weeks.

Let alone 4 more {censored}ing years.

Oh, no argument from me there, mang.

I was just getting frustrated/depressed last night because, though it seemed clear to me that Obama was offering viable, substantive responses to question, McCain was repeated a lot of phrases which--though pretty meaningless--would inevitably be hailed by his supporters as "evidence" of his having "beaten" Obama in the debate.

I'm still stinging from the third debate in 2000, in which Gore roundly and glaringly handed Dubya his ass, in pieces. Example: when asked about their contingency plans for violence which could erupt in other "hot spots" like Iraq, Gore spoke in great detail about his specific conversations with many world leaders, whom he named, and described the specific actions that would need to be taken in case of A, B, C, or D actually happening ... while Bush just said "I'd make sure I would have smart, informed people around me to advise me" .... Wtf? And then Dan Rather came on afterwards to say that Bush had "clearly taken this round over Gore." :o:facepalm:

And then we went through the past eight years, in which not only did the man get "elected," but then RE-ELECTED! :eek:

Part of me has lost all faith in the American people to be intelligent, to listen to what's actually being said, and to vote for the good of the whole nation.

Whoops, looks like another rant slipped out. Okay, I promise I'll try to stop now!

C

• Members

I like how all of the news networks repeat the same buzzword news of the day. Almost as if a shady puppet master have told them what the topic of the day is. Fkn hilarious when you see 8 different reporters saying the same lines from different networks.

• Members

I like them because they cram more substance in 30 minutes a day each than the other news channels do all day.

They bring up a lot of the topics that people need to be paying attention to, granted they are still comedy shows and need to be taken as such. Even though a lot of their content is very tongue-in-cheek if you are willing to do some research than the slant doesn't really matter.

They are good for pointing out contradictions in policy and things like that. We need a show that keeps track of what people have said and what they are saying now. Too many news shows are way too in the moment, and play a lot of crap that I don't classify as news.

• Members

I like how all of the news networks repeat the same buzzword news of the day. Almost as if a shady puppet master have told them what the topic of the day is. Fkn hilarious when you see 8 different reporters saying the same lines from different networks.

Oh that always makes me lol.

One of the other reasons I cant stand those networks. It's the same dumb bull{censored} from points of view that usually dont matter from people who are experts in fields that are rarely relevant.

Then they make up these catchy buzzwords and all the sudden that is the next thing you hear all day. I laugh at anyone who uses that crap in real life.

• Members
And in all actuallity, the past few I have warmed up to have been cartoon/cartoon-like like Wondershozen .

Holy crap-that show can be {censored}in surreal.
The "Beat Kids" sketch was {censored}in funny where they gave the 8 year
old girl a trenchcoat and mic. to interview the Wall Street brokers.

Girl (sweetly giving a broker a napkin): Here mister.....

Broker: "Hi honey-what's this for??"

Girl:"To wipe the blood off your hands..":thu:

Archived