Do people still think rack gear is cool?

Boumtje-Boumtje

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Assuming you're not trolling (which you are)...

I've always preferred using rack rigs because I absolutely flat out refuse to tap dance on pedals. Whether it's not using effects at all, or having a rack with a single midi controller...I don't care. But I absolutely refuse to have to step on more than one pedal to change from one tone to another.

My current rack is a combination of rack effects and footpedals all stored in a rack and controlled with a GCX unit. I can switch to any combination of any effects as well as switch channels on my amp with a single touch of a button. Bottom line is, what type of chassis an effect is housed in makes absolutely no difference in tone whatsoever. The whole "rack thing is so 80s" is an ignorant immature way of looking at it. If you ask me, the stupid way of going about it is having 10+ pedals sitting on a floorboard. How anyone can deem that automatically "cool" is beyond me. Being impractical is never "cool".

• Members
thats one incredible rig for sure, as is Zachmans, but I'm VERY happy with my humble little set-up. I actually need a 4 space rack for mine 12 is overkill.

Yeah. I couldn't find use for 12 channels. ;)

Did you like the tone that the MTS line produced though?

• Members
oh yea, that {censored} is great. That was one of my favorite rigs, I got tons of complements on my tone using it.

I always loved this pic.

249202896UzYRjC_ph.jpg

Nice pic. :thu: Have you tried the XTC module at all? For some reason mine sounds really weird.

• Members

I've always preferred using rack rigs because I absolutely flat out refuse to tap dance on pedals. Whether it's not using effects at all, or having a rack with a single midi controller...I don't care. But I absolutely refuse to have to step on more than one pedal to change from one tone to another.

+1

• Members
Never really liked the XTC, wasn't my "cup o' tea"

Thought about sending it to Pete?

My favorites were: 1086, KH2, KH3, Ultra

Yeah I've thought about sending it to Pete. Not sure if it'd just be worth getting something completely different though. :cop:

• Members
Assuming you're not trolling (which you are)...

My current rack is a combination of rack effects and footpedals all stored in a rack and controlled with a GCX unit. I can switch to any combination of any effects as well as switch channels on my amp with a single touch of a button. Bottom line is, what type of chassis an effect is housed in makes absolutely no difference in tone whatsoever. The whole "rack thing is so 80s" is an ignorant immature way of looking at it. If you ask me, the stupid way of going about it is having 10+ pedals sitting on a floorboard. How anyone can deem that automatically "cool" is beyond me. Being impractical is never "cool".

Well, colourfully painted pedals on the floor with blinky lights, does have some mojo to it. As well as the ability to alter settings when wanted.

That's why I want to put a GCX switcher on the floor with my pedals. I can use MIDI to switch them into my signal on the fly including other effect presets and amp combinations, yet I can still play around with them when wanted.

I think the "rack thing is so 80s" persists purely because the 1980s just took rackmounted systems overboard, like everything else during that decade.

Especially the hair....... :eek: :fail:

• Members

Never really liked the XTC, wasn't my "cup o' tea"

Thought about sending it to Pete?

My favorites were: 1086, KH2, KH3, Ultra

My name's Pete :wave: , sure, pass it 'ere....

;):p:facepalm::o

• Members

I {censored}ing love rack gear if for no reason other then that it isn't out infront for me to trip over or worry about.

If my singer takes a Mic stand and throws it across the stage that could REALLY {censored} up my pedals, but luckly my whole bands set up is sitting behind our bassists 8x10 in a 20 space shockmount rack.

Plus everything is wired up so all I do is show up and plug in my speaker cable and controller pedal and I'm ready to go.

Life is simple with a rack.

• Members

Do any of you guys know where to look for old rack equipment that's no longer working, or better yet, empty/blank chassis for a decent price? I can't believe how much individual parts (front/rear plates, three-sided panels, etc) go for. It's not as if someone's making up for costly R&D.

If I had a decent bending brake I'd just say screw it and make my own. Unfortunately, I don't, and I can't afford new racks (at least not the ones I've been seeing lately). I love to tinker and I want to build some of my own effects and power supplies, and I'd prefer to put them in rack boxes.

Archived