t3h Gibson Menace

the_bleeding

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
have you played it? or is this based from pictures.
:facepalm:

Yo dummy.

They're cheap, {censored}ty guitars. This has been mentioned to you since page 1.

For $700 you're throwing your money out the window, unless you play a specific guitar and decide it's worth the money.

This isn't Namm.

They charge more for the cosmetics. Just because your local music shop is charging more for the standard faded models doesn't mean it's typical.

Search eBay for the other SG Special models that came with ebony boards. The 1/2 crescent moon inlay'd model was previously mentioned. Last I checked they were selling for ~$500.

So in the end, if you want to pay an extra couple hundred dollars for the brass knuckle inlay and tattoo Gibson logo then go right ahead :thu:

• Members

he probably plays unfinished/satin necks... leaves the wood bare. And on 99% of {censored}ty guitars, the fret tails stick out. So yes, there is a difference between bound/unbound, but only on {censored}ty guitars.

what you dont understand is that this guitar is available in a store and im not on some epic quest to find an ebony boarded gibson. lrn 2 read.

that was me. lrn 2 read

I play my necks painted. I sweat too much onstage to risk warping the unprotected wood. I ain't made out of money ya know.

• Members

Have YOU played it either? Otherwise your speculation is as good as his, except he's not the dumb ass who asked if he should try the guitar out or not, if you really wanted the guit you would have asked at the store, bought it there and had a HNGD thread, but instead you wanted us to tell you that it's okay to buy the ugly {censored}ty guitar and then go back and buy it...

BACK FIRE!

• Members

I'm quite aware. I've owned several Gibsons and there is a difference. An unbound neck feels rough. Period.

You're entitled to your personal preferences, however - the fret ends stick out just as far either way. Just because Gibson paints over them nowadays to "blend" them in, it doesn't change the fact.

• Members

Have YOU played it either? Otherwise your speculation is as good as his, except he's not the dumb ass who asked if he should try the guitar out or not, if you really wanted the guit you would have asked at the store, bought it there and had a HNGD thread, but instead you wanted us to tell you that it's okay to buy the ugly {censored}ty guitar and then go back and buy it...

BACK FIRE!

nice interpretation. i wanted to find out if it played well to see if it was worth my time to try it. I've only received about 2 or 3 comments about how it plays, and the rest are about how it looks... yeahhhh... your "backfire" was cute though.

• Members

I own a few nice ones, thank you. And they all have binding with big square fret ends on them that needed filing. Hell, some of the newer ones have "painted on" binding on the fretboards to make the binding look bigger, believe it or not. As a matter of fact, I cannot recall very many Gibsons I've owned without a lot of binding (with the exception of the Sonex and the Gothic V)

And call me whatever you want to, but you've got me confused with someone else on the ebony v. rosewood thing. I prefer rosewood.

Typical Gibsons do not have painted on binding. Gibson binding covers the fret ends.

There is a big difference in feel between a bound neck Gibson, and a non-bound neck Gibson. Most unbound Gibsons feel terrible.

• Members

That particular guitar? No. But, faded specials(with HBs and P-90s), faded sgs(ebony fretboard and rosewood), sg specials, new melody makers (the old ones rule) and the Sg-X in Caribbean Blue I owned all had this same {censored}ty unbound neck. I've been playing for 12 years now(I learned to play on a Les Paul Standard) and I actually had Gibson posters on my walls growing up. I can spot a fake or a {censored}ty budget Gibson from a mile away so let's save the questions regarding my experience with bound or unbound necks.

• Members
yo dummy. im in canada. My dollar is worth nearly nothing as of today because oil prices went down, and if you knew anything, you'd know that my dollar is directly tied to oil prices. if i bought it in canadian for 700, it would be cheaper than you 500$ guitar plus shipping plus customs plus exchange rate.

So no, i would have saved money in the end. Keep up to date on the market if you're going to start an argument about it.

Plus, its not about the gibson logo or the inlay, its about having a guitar with specs i want for cheap in a store. Ebony boards dont show up on many guitars below 800$. I was asking if people have played it, and they played nice, and all you could care about is what it looks like. Thanks for contributing absolutely nothing.

nice interpretation. i wanted to find out if it played well. I've only received about 2 or 3 comments about how it plays, and the rest are about how it looks... yeahhhh... your "backfire" was cute though.

You're 200% right. You should go buy it like I said before. :thu: They're totally awesome and you proved me wrong. :lol:

• Members
okay, so you've played a bunch of guitars. you still havent played this one. WAT IF t3h DIFFERENT PAINTS maekz IT paLY diffrnt!?!?
:cop:

You're right, this {censored} guitar is probably waaaaay better than all the other {censored} guitars they've put out within the last 10 years.

• Members
okay, so you've played a bunch of guitars. you still havent played this one. WAT IF t3h DIFFERENT PAINTS maekz IT paLY diffrnt!?!?
:cop:

first smart thing you've said all day

BACK FIRE!

Because you seemed to have missed it the 1st time.

• Members
Typical Gibsons do not have painted on binding. Gibson binding covers the fret ends.

There is a big difference in feel between a bound neck Gibson, and a non-bound neck Gibson. Most unbound Gibsons feel terrible.

Play one for long enough and you'll see the paint start to wear off. It also extends slightly over the fret board, to make it look thicker. I also hang my thumb over the top most of the time, so that could have started the breakdown a bit quicker...

I used to think the same thing. '06 Standard in wine red had this "problem" - thought the paint was really good, almost like an epoxy. Fully bound (except headstock, of course), and the binding is in place on the neck, but it doesn't extend to the fret ends. Unsure if this was a temporary thing, but I have seen it on others, as well as seeing the "wrapped" binding.

So far as the "feel" of bound v. unbound, the only time I could tell the difference was when the guitar was so worn/old that the wood had started to pull away from the fret ends...:idk:...maybe it's just me then.

• Members

I didnt really want the guitar because i wanted experiences first, maybe change my mind, because it is a good price. wanting people to tell me its okay? are you that conceited? you research a product before you buy. Don't just paste it again, it makes you look short sighted.

• Members

wow.. that thing is not only ugly, but trendy- i.e. NOT timeless. not to say that gibson hasn't tried to stay with the times.. but that thing is one for the ages.. that is, it'll go down in history with the sonex as another bad idea....

bleaaaach... what's with the fist inlay? looks like some wierd mixed message racial pride logo... white fist on a black guitar... :facepalm:

• Members
I didnt really want the guitar because i wanted experiences first, maybe change my mind, because it is a good price. wanting people to tell me its okay? are you that conceited? you research a product before you buy. Don't just paste it again, it makes you look short sighted.

I post it again because you're a retard. YOU WERE IN THE SAME ROOM AS THE GUITAR! You don't go back and check the internet to see if it's okay you pick the damn thing up, rock the {censored} out and decide if it's worth your cash or not.

EVERYONE is telling you it's {censored} and you're arguing with them, but you're "researching" to see if you should buy it or not right?

:rolleyes:

• Members
I post it again because you're a retard. YOU WERE IN THE SAME ROOM AS THE GUITAR! You don't go back and check the internet to see if it's okay you pick the damn thing up, rock the {censored} out and decide if it's worth your cash or not.

EVERYONE is telling you it's {censored} and you're arguing with them, but you're "researching" to see if you should buy it or not right?

Yeah, I don't think he's going to understand this. It's ok, he's super smart and hardcore.

Here's the timeline on this thread:

1.) Kid asks if this guitar is a nice guitar
2.) People tell him they're {censored}ty, AND ugly
3.) He focuses on the ugly comments and runs with them
4.) People continue to bash them and the kid because he's too stupid to go back to the store and just pick the damn thing up
5.) More people tell him he's retarded
6.) He continues to fire back with 20 year old approved "Nuh uh, you're the stupid one!! Get over the looks because this guitar is teh bad ass!!1"
7.) Hilarity ensues :D

• Members
Play one for long enough and you'll see the paint start to wear off. It also extends slightly over the fret board, to make it look thicker. I also hang my thumb over the top most of the time, so that could have started the breakdown a bit quicker...

I used to think the same thing. '06 Standard in wine red had this "problem" - thought the paint was really good, almost like an epoxy. Fully bound (except headstock, of course), and the binding is in place on the neck, but it doesn't extend to the fret ends. Unsure if this was a temporary thing, but I have seen it on others, as well as seeing the "wrapped" binding.

So far as the "feel" of bound v. unbound, the only time I could tell the difference was when the guitar was so worn/old that the wood had started to pull away from the fret ends...
:idk:
...maybe it's just me then.

It is just you. Modern Gibsons have wide binding on the neck that overlaps the fret ends. I can take a picture of my '07 SG to show you what I mean. That isn't paint on there.

• Members

I am sure he is not the only person on the forums who likes to get other opinions buying a guitar, amp or whatever. I can understand him arguing about it because 3/4 of the opinions in this thread here have nothing to do with actual experience with the model. So, many think it sucks because it isn't like the million other standards out there. Wouldn't the original SG be thought of as trendy because it was different from a strat? I haven't really seen any posts in this thread that are at all useful. Asking opinions about a model of guitar should not devolve into personal insults based on the model of guitar.

• Members

I am sure he is not the only person on the forums who likes to get other opinions buying a guitar, amp or whatever. I can understand him arguing about it because 3/4 of the opinions in this thread here have nothing to do with actual experience with the model. So, many think it sucks because it isn't like the million other standards out there. Wouldn't the original SG be thought of as trendy because it was different from a strat? I haven't really seen any posts in this thread that are at all useful. Asking opinions about a model of guitar should not devolve into personal insults based on the model of guitar.

Are you new to HCAF?

Anyway, I have played this model when it first came out because I saw it on the wall due to the exposed windings on the pickups.

I considered it to be on par with a normal Faded SG, which doesn't say much. I wouldn't pay $400 for one of these things, because they're cheap guitars with a Gibson headstock that raises the price.

I have a '63 SG Standard (original) and a '67 SG Special RI w/P90's. I use these two guitars to judge other SG's by.

I've also owned a modern SG Standard a couple years back.

The previously mentioned SG Special with the 1/2 crescent moon inlays was actually pretty decent and it includes all the specs the OP wants.

It still doesn't make sense why he hasn't played one yet, since he said he's seen them in the music store more than once. How hard is it to pull it off the wall and jam for a minute?

• Members

I'd post the same thing to any dumb {censored} that walks away from a guitar and THEN asks to try it. It's one thing to go "oh I tried a such-and-such today what are your opinions of it" but it's another to go "I saw a such-and-such, didn't play it but do you think I should play it?"

On top of all that those lower end Gibsons are a serious crap shoot yeah there are good ones but you gotta find one, and guess what, the only way to find one is to...

PLAY the damn thing, which he could have easily done since he was RIGHT NEXT TO IT IN THE STORE.

• Members
I'd post the same thing to any dumb {censored} that walks away from a guitar and THEN asks to try it. It's one thing to go "oh I tried a such-and-such today what are your opinions of it" but it's another to go "I saw a such-and-such, didn't play it but do you think I should play it?"

On top of all that those lower end Gibsons are a serious crap shoot yeah there are good ones but you gotta find one, and guess what, the only way to find one is to...

PLAY the damn thing, which he could have easily done since he was RIGHT NEXT TO IT IN THE STORE.

Apparently on multiple occasions he passed it by!

But this thread is all about the cosmetics :lol:

Archived