Peavey Ultra Plus vs 5150

Awake77

• Members

I used to have an ultra, and I miss it. It's just different from a 5150. The Ultra is not near as bright sounding as the 5150, but has less gain on tap if that makes sense. The clean and spring reverb on that amp are really good too. You can get some perfect metal tones out of that amp and probably anything else you wanted, if you learn and just mess with them enough. I loved the way the power tubes were in that amp for some reason haha.

They're also ugly as sin.

Doesnt the peavey logo change colors when you switch channels? That's so cheesy its beautiful :)

• Members

Going back and forth between the Triple XXX's I've tried and my Rockmaster (Peavey Classic 120 power amp) and my FJA 5150 , there is no way the 5150 is tighter than my Rockmaster. That rockmaster is the definition of clinical tightness and precision when it comes to fast palm muted brootz runs.

This is the same cab, btw.

The 5150 just has a huge low-end that really booms, but the rockmaster has a really defined, clear low end, and to me that means it's tighter.

• Members

Going back and forth between the Triple XXX's I've tried and my Rockmaster (Peavey Classic 120 power amp) and my FJA 5150 , there is no way the 5150 is tighter than my Rockmaster. That rockmaster is the definition of clinical tightness and precision when it comes to fast palm muted brootz runs.

The 5150 just has a huge low-end that really booms, but the rockmaster has a really defined, clear low end, and to me that means it's tighter.

May be the case with the Rockmaster, but my Ultra Plus didn't have the tightness my 6505+ did, nor does my XXX. AT least IMO...But in a sense it is splitting hairs, as all of them produce great tones and are tight enough as it is.

• Members

+1

I made this comparison too

the rockmaster is way tighter and mroe precise

the 5150 is more organic and grainy

I don't believe that the ultra plus is exactly the same as the rockmaster

and I think the ultra plus doesn't have the solid state push pull boost knob of the rockmaster, that adds a ton of cut and tightness (and a high end fizz too)

but they are definitely very similar

• Members

May be the case with the Rockmaster, but my Ultra Plus didn't have the tightness my 6505+ did, nor does my XXX. AT least IMO...But in a sense it is splitting hairs, as all of them produce great tones and are tight enough as it is.

the XXX crunch channel is way tighter than the 5150, imo

especially if you use the damping switch properly

• Members

.But in a sense it is splitting hairs, as all of them produce great tones and are tight enough as it is.

ITs absolutely splitting hairs. This whole nonsense about what amp is "tighter" drives me nuts.. They are PV's, they are all pretty fucking tight.. And for fucks sake why does every amp have to be tighter than the next.. All are good amps and sound great.. I can get my tone with any of the PV's mentioned. The 5150, 5150ii, the ROckmaster, XXX and Ultra. I have had all of them at one point and they are all good.. I like the 5150's best though, but I got along with an Ultra when I was younger and I use the XXX just fine in my other band, and the damping switch is set to "Loose"!!:poke::lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I finally made it in the store to check out the Ultra Plus head today - I have to say I was impressed! Played it through a Peavey 6505 4x12.

Really smooth sounding, with a lot of gain on tap. I didnt crank it too loud but I played around with the settings to get a good feel for it...it doesnt have the footswitch so I was only able to mess around with the Ultra channel. I really liked the tones I was hearing...as others have mentioned it did sound very 'tight' and responsive...chords rang out clear even with a lot of gain.

Had a different voicing and feel than my Carvin V3 - seemed like to two would work well together for recording.

The shop is asking $429 for it, seeing how its sans footswitch perhaps I could talk them down a bit...

I also played a Mesa subway rocket while I was there and was totally unimpressed...sounded so honky. Maybe it needed new tubes or something...

• Members

that's one great price if the amp is in good condition

Yeah it seemed to be in fine shape...could look near-new with a good cleaning. I didnt put any money down on it, as Im still not sure, but jamming on it for a bit was enough to spark my interest in the whole Ultra/Rockmaster line of amps. Sound like they should cost a heck of a lot more than they do:)

• 7 months later...
  • Members

The Peavey ultra is AMAZING! I have 2 of them 1. as main head. 2nd. for back up. They have all the control you could ask for. Its not fuzzy like the 5150. Its the tightest amp i've ever heard. It has all the gain you could ask for, its so versatile it can get everything from August burns red tone to White Chapel death metal gain. If you add a BBE sonic maximizer to it YOU CAN'T do better. They are like a hidden secret in the peavey amp world. And they light up with the different channels. you cant beat it.

• Members

You all think the Ultra is tighter than a 5150?

Maybe it's my ears but I definately did not get that impression. I've owned a 5150 combo and 4 different Ultras. 2 112s, a 212, and a plus head. I thought the 5150 was tighter and clearer than the Ultras. The Ultras are smoother though and still have tons of gain.

The 5150 combo is the tightest, and best sounding to me, 5150 out of the box. It just sucks that they weigh a ton. If you put an Ultra on a sealed back v30 cab, it's very, very tight.

Archived