Mesa question from an idiot.

Beach Hound

• Members

I know nothing about Boogies except I generally like the sound of 'em. That said, what's the deal with the single, dual and tripple rectifiers? Are they referring to the rectifier tubes? If so, how does that change the tone and gain?

From a Boogie idiot.....Thanks

• Members

recto tubes are for a little sag, it's harder to hear, and more of a feel thing.
As far as the amount of recto tubes, the amount just deals with tha wattage.

There is a switch on em to use them or use diodes for the rectifier (diodes are tighter sounding)
And the single doesn't even have rectifier tubes.

Now, the voicing is different with each recto, the single is more of a straight up rock amp, that can do metal, especially with a boost, but it has a decent clean channel as well.

The dual,
2 and 3 channel versions, you decide for yourself as to which one you like better, but they tend to be more big sounding and looser.

The triple is more aggressive, and tighter than the dual IMO, and all the clean headroom makes for a decent sounding clean channel as well.
Like the dual, there's a two channel, and a three channel, you decide which you like best

• Members

The original Dual Rectifier was named because you could use two different ways to turn the AC voltage coming from your wall into the DC voltage that the amp needs to operate. This process is called Rectification, and in a Dual Recto, you could use either silicon diodes or tubes. Tube rectification creates a looser, spongier feel to the amp, while diodes sound more tight and "metal". The 100 watt DR also has a pair of rectifier tubes, as some schools of thought claim that one rectifier tube is necessary for each pair of power tubes.

When Mesa introduced a 150 watt version of the Dual Rectifier, in keeping with the 1 rectifier per pair of power tubes, it had 3 rectifier tubes, hence the Triple moniker. It did not, however, have three different WAYS of rectifying AC current...just three tubes.

The Single Rectifier came along, and instead of having two or three pairs of output tubes, it only had a single pair...hence the Single designation. It also has no tube rectifier option, so there is only a single way to rectify the AC.

Confused yet?

• Members

I got my RectoVerb with a Mesa 2x12 for a grand. At the time, that was a STEAL...within the last 3 months or so, I'd say $750-850 for a Single is pretty realistic.

I used to be such a guitar whore. Now you guys have me thinking MAPS MAPS MAPS.

My plan now is Splawn > Krank Rev Jr. Pro > Now maybe a Single. To add some of that California sound to my rig ;D

• Members

...Now, the voicing is different with each recto, the single is more of a straight up rock amp, that can do metal, especially with a boost, but it has a decent clean channel as well.

The dual,

2 and 3 channel versions, you decide for yourself as to which one you like better, but they tend to be more big sounding and looser.

The triple is more aggressive, and tighter than the dual IMO, and all the clean headroom makes for a decent sounding clean channel as well. ...best

Interesting. I have a 3 channel Dual (the second Dual I've owned, and I've also owned a Rectoverb combo and head), and I can say that the Dual certainly does sound [almost rediculously] huge. Now that I think about it, the Rectoverbs are the same thing as the Single, but with reverb, and I liked the way they sounded. The reason I went to a Dual was for the 3 channels (I typically need a clean, dirty, and solo tone). But after reading your post, I do wonder if I would prefer the tone of the Single.

• Members

huge. Now that I think about it, the Rectoverbs are the same thing as the Single, but with reverb, and I liked the way they sounded. The reason I went to a Dual was for the 3 channels (I typically need a clean, dirty, and solo tone). But after reading your post, I do wonder if I would prefer the tone of the Single.

Three channels aren't as necessary as people make them out to be IMO. You can always just put an EQ pedal in the loop for a solo boost/treble rolloff and use a volume pedal/volume knob to clean up your tone for crunch parts... I'm not saying the three channels sound bad, I'm just saying that I don't think you need to sacrifice tone for the three channels if you prefer the sound of something with less.

Archived