Egnater Rebel 20

Davetopay

• Members

Sounds pretty damn good, I wonder how it takes a boost...

I personally played the amp for a good while at GC and it is a really has a nice sound...just not as flexible as one would think with the variable wattage and tube blend knob....and honestly kind of expensive for a chinese made 20 watter.

• Members

I personally played the amp for a good while at GC and it is a really has a nice sound...just not as flexible as one would think with the variable wattage and tube blend knob....and honestly kind of expensive for a chinese made 20 watter.

Kind of my thoughts exactly. I DID really dig some of the clean tones though.

• Members

this isn't enough gain? sounds pretty saturate-y to me.. but different strokes, i guess. sounds like a pretty tight little amp in this setup!

The one I was messing with just didn't push into that "zone". I like a good thrashy tone, but NOT a can of bees. I guess I need to rediscover/experience my Peavey Ultra 60.:lol:

• Members

Guys....I have to clarify something. In regards to some of the amp show clips...that's not the same amp as being sold in the stores. The tube type switch has been changed to a blend knob which I believe is an improvement. But for me the main thing is that the gain tones don't really reach metal territory. Maybe the player in the video is able to invoke those sounds with his guitar but really the amp with the gain cranked is only slightly more saturated than my V32 Palomino. The sounds ARE nice but at this price ($599) the only advantage over a Tiny Terror in regards to gigging is the effects loop. I realize it has better clean tones but if you can't switch to them easily, what's the point.

• Members

To add to the above post...I spoke to a friend of mine that is also a seasoned guitarist and he agreed that there are a lot of nice tones...just not at the same time, as in easliy switchable. he thought it would make a great studio amp but nothing more.

• Members

Guys....I have to clarify something. In regards to some of the amp show clips...that's not the same amp as being sold in the stores. The tube type switch has been changed to a blend knob which I believe is an improvement. But for me the main thing is that the gain tones don't really reach metal territory. Maybe the player in the video is able to invoke those sounds with his guitar but really the amp with the gain cranked is only slightly more saturated than my V32 Palomino. The sounds ARE nice but at this price ($599) the only advantage over a Tiny Terror in regards to gigging is the effects loop. I realize it has better clean tones but if you can't switch to them easily, what's the point.

How's an effects loop on a 20 watt amp an improvement? Isn't the whole point of it to get power tube saturation at lower volumes? Therefore defeating the purpose of an effects loop?

• Members

You've not thought that through.

It still has a pre-amp.

I understand that, EVERY amp has a preamp :p

But why have a low watt amp if you AREN'T going to crank it? It just seems counter-intuitive to me and something that's just used as a selling point. "Oh well see this one has an effects loop so I can charge $50 more"

I love it even more when people bitch about NMV amps with no loop :facepalm:

• Members
I understand that, EVERY amp has a preamp
:p

But why have a low watt amp if you AREN'T going to crank it? It just seems counter-intuitive to me and something that's just used as a selling point. "Oh well see this one has an effects loop so I can charge $50 more"

I love it even more when people bitch about NMV amps with no loop
:facepalm:

I'm confused....what does an effects loop have to do with cranking the amp? The only difference to me is that the pre-amp drives my modulation effects instead of amplifying them in front of the amp.

• Members

I'm confused....what does an effects loop have to do with cranking the amp? The only difference to me is that the pre-amp drives my modulation effects instead of amplifying them in front of the amp.

The point of a loop is to get modulation and time based effects after the signal is distorted, but in a NMV amp you're using the pre and power amp together as a single unit, there's no distortion to follow after unless you're after the power amp. Same goes for smaller amps, why bother purchasing a smaller amp if you're not going to crank it? Thus defeating the purpose of the loop since the power amp is distorting the signal as well.

Go find a RI plexi and run a delay out front and then in the loop and you'll see what I mean it doesn't sound THAT much different in the loop, and IMO sound worse when it's not run out front.

• Members

The point of a loop is to get modulation and time based effects after the signal is distorted, but in a NMV amp you're using the pre and power amp together as a single unit, there's no distortion to follow after unless you're after the power amp. Same goes for smaller amps, why bother purchasing a smaller amp if you're not going to crank it? Thus defeating the purpose of the loop since the power amp is distorting the signal as well.

Go find a RI plexi and run a delay out front and then in the loop and you'll see what I mean it doesn't sound THAT much different in the loop, and IMO sound worse when it's not run out front.

I think I see your point but I'll disagree with you on where modulation belongs. I NEVER get to crank an amp...there isn't a venue that I've played that I've been allowed to push my Mesa.

• Members

I think I see your point but I'll disagree with you on where modulation belongs. I NEVER get to crank an amp...there isn't a venue that I've played that I've been allowed to push my Mesa.

Yeah, I know I'm weird, I don't even use modulation any more, just delay, which I prefer out front any way, but I think some people just comment on the lack of a loop, or the existence of a loop with out the practical application with them. While I can see the usefulness of a loop on a 100 watt amp with a master volume it seems pretty pointless to have on on a NMV amp or an amp who's purpose is to drive the power section really hard, ie lower wattage amps.

• Members

Yeah, I know I'm weird, I don't even use modulation any more, just delay, which I prefer out front any way, but I think some people just comment on the lack of a loop, or the existence of a loop with out the practical application with them. While I can see the usefulness of a loop on a 100 watt amp with a master volume it seems pretty pointless to have on on a NMV amp or an amp who's purpose is to drive the power section really hard, ie lower wattage amps.

I think for different reasons, we're coming to the same conclusion on the Rebel. It's not designed for the gigging musician. Great in the studio where you can control the environment and change settings at your liesure..

• Members

I don't give a {censored} if the amp can get metal if it can get good midgain and up to hardrock saturation. I end up boosting anyways as was the case with my modded DSL. I mostly play blues and midgain stuff.

What I really care about with the gain side is response and sustain. When doing lead work does it sustain well? Good harmonics? Does it feedback musically when holding notes? Does the EQ offer good tone changes.

Love that this has a loop, variable watt adjustment, tube mix for experimenting and can get cleans. I actually thought it had a clean channel too. I wasn't paying attention.

I would use this for home wanking, jamm'n at buds place, and recording. Doesn't need to play out.

I would like to know where the bias adjustment is and hope it is readily accessible. I like to do my own.

Think I'll be getting one unless it is undynamic and dull. I liked some of the vids I've seen that show it sounds pretty good.

• Members

I would *love* to be able to run my delay into the front of my amps ... but, whenever I do that and I try to use my guitar's volume knob to go from clean to crunch, or especially if I hit the amp with a boost for higher gain, the volume of the delay's repeats is either way to low (when I roll down) or way too high (when I roll up or hit the boost). The only way I've found -- so far -- to get the delay levels sounding consistently good regardless of the amount of overdrive I'm using is to run the delay in the loop. :idk:

But I *hate* being dependent on having an fx loop ... If I could find a way to run everything up front, I would, but so far it looks like the only way I could do that is to run dirt pedals into a clean amp, and I can't seem to get "my" sound that way... :cry:

P.S. When I started a thread on this amp a few days ago, several folks who'd played it chimed in and the consensus was that the amp did not seem to clean up too well from the guitar's volume knob, and that's the deal-breaker for me. I don't really care how effective the power-scaling is, or whether the thing can be used like a non-master volume amp -- I like master volumes, fwiw. But if I've only got one channel, I need to be able to go from a bluesy clean to a good rawk crunch just by rolling my guitar's volume knob. That's essential for my style & the music I play.

C

• Members
I would *love* to be able to run my delay into the front of my amps ... but, whenever I do that and I try to use my guitar's volume knob to go from clean to crunch, or especially if I hit the amp with a boost for higher gain, the volume of the delay's repeats is either way to low (when I roll down) or way too high (when I roll up or hit the boost). The only way I've found -- so far -- to get the delay levels sounding consistently good regardless of the amount of overdrive I'm using is to run the delay in the loop.
:idk:

But I *hate* being dependent on having an fx loop ... If I could find a way to run everything up front, I would, but so far it looks like the only way I could do that is to run dirt pedals into a clean amp, and I can't seem to get "my" sound that way...
:cry:

What delay are you using?

I not having any of the problems you described with either my DM-2 or my RE-20

I usually have at least a fuzz or two before them as well as my wah

• Members
What delay are you using?

I not having any of the problems you described with either my DM-2 or my RE-20

I usually have at least a fuzz or two before them as well as my wah

I was using an Analogman-modded DMM for a long time ... recently switched it out for a Carbon Copy (primarily for pedalboard real estate ;) ).

The problems really only get BAD bad when I kick in a boost for higher gain -- I generally use my od pedals with volume maxed & pedal gain low, and the hotter signal then hits the delay that much harder before going to the amp, which results in much louder repeats that get pretty noisey. If I weren't using a boost in front of the amp, it wouldn't be as big a problem. :idk:

• Members
Or you get an Randall RM 20 head like I did and have as many tones as you want..
:thu:

$699 without a module? Why do they call it the RM20 when it is only 15 watts? Dumbasses.

I really like the bias set up on it though. Modules are $260 a pop. Love the idea. Price is way beyond the Rebel's category when paying for the modules though.

• Members
The problems really only get BAD bad when I kick in a boost for higher gain -- I generally use my od pedals with volume maxed & pedal gain low, and the hotter signal then hits the delay that much harder before going to the amp, which results in much louder repeats that get pretty noisey. If I weren't using a boost in front of the amp, it wouldn't be as big a problem.

Have you tried running the delay earlier in the chain, before your OD? I know it's the complete "wrong" way to do things, but I see it making sense in a strange practical way:

Normally it would be delay --> amp gain. Then you're kicking in the pedal which is adding more gain before the delay, as well as the gain after it. If it sounds fine without the boost running, why not run delay --> gain --> more gain? (Note: I haven't tried this myself. Just thought of it, in fact.)

• Members
I was using an Analogman-modded DMM for a long time ... recently switched it out for a Carbon Copy (primarily for pedalboard real estate
;)
).

The problems really only get BAD bad when I kick in a boost for higher gain -- I generally use my od pedals with volume maxed & pedal gain low, and the hotter signal then hits the delay that much harder before going to the amp, which results in much louder repeats that get pretty noisey. If I weren't using a boost in front of the amp, it wouldn't be as big a problem.

How clean are you running your amp? That sounds like there's just a load of dB coming from the boost and hitting the front end of your amp really hard.

I found that with the JMP the higher I have the pre amp the "softer" the dB gain can be with high output pedals, such as my Octafuzz and Bluebeard. Where as if I use the low input and lower gain those pedals are unbearably loud with the volume on the pedal turned up.

Archived