Egnater Rebel 20

Davetopay

• Members
Have you tried running the delay earlier in the chain, before your OD? I know it's the complete "wrong" way to do things, but I see it making sense in a strange practical way:

Normally it would be delay --> amp gain. Then you're kicking in the pedal which is adding more gain
before
the delay, as well as the gain after it. If it sounds fine without the boost running, why not run delay --> gain --> more gain? (Note: I haven't tried this myself. Just thought of it, in fact.)

Actually, I have tried that ... :) What happens with the delay in front of the boost is that the repeats get boosted & then slam the input that much harder. The result is about the same: the echoes are either too loud with the boost engaged, or if I set the delay level to be right with the boost on, when I turn the boost off & roll my volume back for cleans, the repeats all but disappear. :(

The closest I've gotten to making everything work up front is to use my od pedals to add gain but *no* extra volume to the signal. That setup works pretty well, as far as the delay sounds go ... but I just don't like the raw tones as much as when I'm boosting the amp's input, gnome sane?

I'm a head-case, yo; I got prollems... :lol:

• Members
How clean are you running your amp? That sounds like there's just a load of dB coming from the boost and hitting the front end of your amp really hard.

I found that with the JMP the higher I have the pre amp the "softer" the dB gain can be with high output pedals, such as my Octafuzz and Bluebeard. Where as if I use the low input and lower gain those pedals are unbearably loud with the volume on the pedal turned up.

My favorite tonal setup is to set the amp for a good, medium gain rock/blues crunch (c. AC/DC). That gives me a pretty good clean tone when I switch to a single coil pickup & roll back the volume, and a great crunchy rhythm for rock & roll (& a good lead tone for dirty blues). From there, an od set for high output but low pedal-gain will kick the amp into hard rock, old-metal territory. I don't really need "modern" levels of gain, y'know?

I might try goosing the amp's gain a bit and back off on the boost's output level, as you suggest. How much I can do that will probably be determined by how well the amp'll still clean up from the guitar's vol.

Thanks for the suggestion. :thu:

C

• Members
$699 without a module? Why do they call it the RM20 when it is only 15 watts? Dumbasses.

'coz it's actually a little over 18 watts?...RM20 fits in better with the whole line RM50, RM100 etc.

Do you also complain that the RM100 is actually over 100W when it ships with JJ E34Ls ? ;)

• Members
My favorite tonal setup is to set the amp for a good, medium gain rock/blues crunch (c. AC/DC). That gives me a pretty good clean tone when I switch to a single coil pickup & roll back the volume, and a great crunchy rhythm for rock & roll (& a good lead tone for dirty blues). From there, an od set for high output but low pedal-gain will kick the amp into hard rock, old-metal territory. I don't really need "modern" levels of gain, y'know?

I might try goosing the amp's gain a bit and back off on the boost's output level, as you suggest. How much I can do that will probably be determined by how well the amp'll still clean up from the guitar's vol.

Thanks for the suggestion.
:thu:

C

You know....now that I read your setup, the Rebel might work for you. When I rolled back the volume, the gain was set at about 9 o'clock...if you pull back to say...12 (noon), it might work. Then again unless you need the loop, the Tiny Terror can be had on Ebay in the low $400's and sounds every bit as good gain wise.
My recommendation would be to get one from Music123 with free shipping, no tax and a 45 day return policy. That way if you hate it...

• Members
'coz it's actually a little over 18 watts?...RM20 fits in better with the whole line RM50, RM100 etc.

Do you also complain that the RM100 is actually over 100W when it ships with JJ E34Ls ?
;)

Its advertized as 15 watts not 18. I Didn't know it was actually 18 watts.;)

• Members
You know....now that I read your setup, the Rebel might work for you. When I rolled back the volume, the gain was set at about 9 o'clock...if you pull back to say...12 (noon), it might work. Then again unless you need the loop, the Tiny Terror can be had on Ebay in the low $400's and sounds every bit as good gain wise.

My recommendation would be to get one from Music123 with free shipping, no tax and a 45 day return policy. That way if you hate it...

Damn, don't tell me that, dood! :mad: I was just getting over teh GASSSS!!!!

Lol.

Looks like I might have to have *another* gear conversation with teh wifey.
:eek:

Pray for me, my hcaf bruthas! :facepalm:

• Members

Thanks for the suggestion.
:thu:

C

I do remember you and I talking about this problem before, you're just a very specific case man! Another possible solution would be to swap out the pots on the guitar for something with a better taper, that might work better to help you smooth things out, but if you gig/use more than 1 guit that'll turn into a huge pain in the ass quick.

• Members
I do remember you and I talking about this problem before, you're just a very specific case man! Another possible solution would be to swap out the pots on the guitar for something with a better taper, that might work better to help you smooth things out, but if you gig/use more than 1 guit that'll turn into a huge pain in the ass quick.

Lol, I was having a bit of deja' forum! :)

Yeah, my problem is I've got one foot in the vintage camp and one in the modern, and I can't seem to commit fully to either... :freak:

• Members

I just tried the Rebel at GC and was not too thrilled. Don't judge this amp by that Youtube vid of the guy shredding during the Amp Show, that guy could probably shred on a cheap acoustic. Tone is in the hands? Not really, in fact now when I re-listen to Rebel clips it just sounds like the same muddy, medium gain amp played by really good guitar players.

Back to the boards!

Archived