Anybody like metal?

mike moriarty

• Members

Hey anybody like metal? Anybody like underground horror flicks? Just wrote a new song called "Combat Shock" if anybody's interested. Warning: It's EXTREMELY heavy and extremely noisy. Any critisism good or bad is highly appreciated. Feel free to add me to your freinds me if you like the music.

http://www.myspace.com/industrialdeath83

• Members

Hi, Mike!

Welcome to the songwriting forum!

The SW forum is devoted to talking about the art and craft of songwriting and offering assistance with feedback and constructive criticism on new songs and other works in progress.

Like so much in life -- what you get out of it will likely depend largely on what you put in...

I hope you'll share your insight with others when they're looking for critiques -- it's a great way to let people get to know you.

And the more that people know you as someone who is willing to help out, the more eager they'll be to help you when you're looking for some good ol' constructive crit.

:)

I'm afraid my metal-loving days were pretty much in the early 70s. I had a brief reburst of enthusiasm at the end of the 70s when some speedmetal bands first started showing up but I'm afraid they didn't hold my attention too well.

While I appreciate the edge and extremeness of the kind of metal you do, I'm afraid the genre itself just doesn't really reach me. (Plenty disturbing pics on your MySpace page, by the way. Eeeyow!) But if extremity in the pursuit of music counts, this should rate high. One thing, I'm not complaining but I was wondering if the vocal/found sound drops were louder than expected for this genre... Usually I can't make out the drop ins any better than the lyrics. That's not a critical comment mind you, actually, I thought it was kind of refreshing to understand something in a grindy/death metal kind of thing. ;)

Mightily intense, I will say that! :D

Welcome.

• Members

Hi, Mike!

Welcome to the songwriting forum!

The SW forum is devoted to talking about the art and craft of songwriting and offering assistance with feedback and constructive criticism on new songs and other works in progress.

Like so much in life -- what you get out of it will likely depend largely on what you put in...

I hope you'll share your insight with others when they're looking for critiques -- it's a great way to let people get to know you.

And the more that people know you as someone who is willing to help out, the more eager they'll be to help you when you're looking for some good ol' constructive crit.

I'm afraid my metal-loving days were pretty much in the early 70s. I had a brief reburst of enthusiasm at the end of the 70s when some speedmetal bands first started showing up but I'm afraid they didn't hold my attention too well.

While I appreciate the edge and extremeness of the kind of metal you do, I'm afraid the genre itself just doesn't really reach me. (Plenty disturbing pics on your MySpace page, by the way. Eeeyow!) But if extremity in the pursuit of music counts, this should rate high. One thing, I'm not complaining but I was wondering if the vocal/found sound drops were louder than expected for this genre... Usually when I can't make out the drop ins any better than the lyrics. That's not a critical comment mind you, actually, I thought it was kind of refreshing to make out
something.
;)

Mightily
intense, I will say
that!
:D

Welcome.

Hey Blue2Blue, thanks for the long and thought out comment I appreciate it. Yeah I should probably post more in this forum, I do read and would be more than happy to help others out with contructive critisism when I am on though.

I hear ya I'm not as much into metal as I used to be, I love to write it though. Yeah I guess extreme is kinda my thing, glad you picked up on that and dlad you liked the pics ;) I'm a huge horror collector if you havent noticed already and I wanted to make the samples as coherant as possible. Whats the point of having them if you cant hear em, ya know. Thanks again for the comments and taking time to check it out, I appreciate it. Take it easy.

• Members

What's with the zombies? I mean, the other night we were out planting or preparing the field the old way, with hand tools, and these zombies, like twenty or thirty, attacked out of nowhere.

They looked like anybody else, they weren't all dead and drippy or anything like that, just had real shiny sort of plasticky skin but they were stone cold undead bloodless zombies, and we had to commence disassembling them with our hoes and axes and adzes and what-have-you. It was sort of nasty, really.

Just before I woke up there were four or five of them had me closely surrounded and I knew I'd lost my back. It sucked.

I'm not into metal at all, I do this thing with pretty guitars and hard lyric. Kind of an odd blues. But I'm interested in the zombie thing, because although I never watch horror movies or anything like that, I've recently had multiple zombie dreams. What do they represent to the subconscious? Why don't they want me to get the crops in the ground? I mean, you'd think, more crops, more people, more brains to eat, right? WTF.

• Members

Mike, I just fired up the speakers in your honor. "I can't take this anymore!!!" :) Nice machinegun drums.

I know it's not metal but this reminds me of the last cut on the Coral Fang CD.

The Dalle piece is much more chaotic and thematically disorganized, and one of my favorites.

I have to say I will probably wish I had not seen the visuals on your MySpace.

I remember what I see.

Still, I owe you for getting me to fire up the DA80 monitor system. Now I know how.

If that's metal it's not bad. I was thinking of Metallica or some something. All I know of metal is the radio and old fake bull{censored}. Your band sounds like hardcore 80's Detroit punk, but crispier.

Congratulations. It's a nice piece. Still going on... WTF... :D

• Members

What's with the zombies? I mean, the other night we were out planting or preparing the field the old way, with hand tools, and these zombies, like twenty or thirty, attacked out of nowhere.

They looked like anybody else, they weren't all dead and drippy or anything like that, just had real shiny sort of plasticky skin but they were stone cold undead bloodless zombies, and we had to commence disassembling them with our hoes and axes and adzes and what-have-you. It was sort of nasty, really.

Just before I woke up there were four or five of them had me closely surrounded and I knew I'd lost my back. It sucked.

I'm not into metal at all, I do this thing with pretty guitars and hard lyric. Kind of an odd blues. But I'm interested in the zombie thing, because although I never watch horror movies or anything like that, I've recently had multiple zombie dreams. What do they represent to the subconscious? Why don't they want me to get the crops in the ground? I mean, you'd think, more crops, more people, more brains to eat, right? WTF.

Everybody loves zombies!

• Members

Mike, I just fired up the speakers in your honor. "I can't take this anymore!!!"
Nice machinegun drums.

I know it's not metal but this reminds me of the last cut on the Coral Fang CD.

The Dalle piece is much more chaotic and thematically disorganized, and one of my favorites.

I have to say I will probably wish I had not seen the visuals on your MySpace.

I remember what I see.

Still, I owe you for getting me to fire up the DA80 monitor system. Now I know how.

If that's metal it's not bad. I was thinking of Metallica or some something. All I know of metal is the radio and old fake bull{censored}. Your band sounds like hardcore 80's Detroit punk, but crispier.

Congratulations. It's a nice piece. Still going on... WTF...

Thank you very much I appreciate it. Sorry about the truamatizing pics ;) Yeah it's no Metallica, and I much prefer your 80's punk comparison anyway. People either love or hate the vocals, they are pretty extreme, maybe I'll tone it down a bit for the next song. Thanks for listening :thu:

• Members

Liked... might not be the operant word for my reaction to the pics. Let's just say I think they had their intended effect. Unless they were there to make me feel warm and fuzzy and in love with the world... in which case, maybe not. :D

Anyhow, hope you'll hang out and share your insights and music!

PS... I used to be into making loud, fast, obnoxious music (more on the noise/punk side) -- but then, after a while, I realized I had all but stopped listening to that kind of music... ;)

• Members

Liked...
might not be the operant word for my reaction to the pics. Let's just say I think they had their intended effect. Unless they were there to make me feel warm and fuzzy and in love with the world... in which case,
maybe not.

Anyhow, hope you'll hang out and share your insights and music!

PS... I used to be into making loud, fast, obnoxious music (more on the noise/punk side) -- but then, after a while, I realized I had all but stopped
listening
to that kind of music...
;)

Yeah I know, no one likes the pics and they're not supposed to ;) . I was just messing with you. I'm more into punk these days then I am metal, I'm kinda bored with the current metal scene.

• Members

I just have to say this. . .when you find a drummer that can play that mechanically, let me know.
;)
Other than that, it's unique, and has a interesting production and some {censored}ed up pictures. Horror should be fake, not real!

Yeah, there aren'nt too many drummers around my area so if I'm gonna use a drum machine might as well make it interesting right? I'm not adverse to turning it into a live project, like you said the drums would have to be toned down if a live drummer were to play it, but I mean look at band's like Ministry, Agorophobic Nosebleed or Mortician who use a drum machine for all recordings. I almost prefer it, especially for my style of playing. Life is horror ;) Thanks for the comments I apprecite it. :thu:

• Members

PS... I used to be into making loud, fast, obnoxious music (more on the noise/punk side) -- but then, after a while, I realized I had all but stopped
listening
to that kind of music...
;)

This is pretty funny. :)

Because I can sort of relate.

I think: at some point we got to stop being our own moms and only listening to our stuff because we made it.

That kind of preciousness doesn't go as far as you can spit.

It's hopefully eventually less about our need to express our inner whatever and more about communicating and sharing with others.

• Members

Both of you will be delighted to know that I've a drummer friend out by Detroit who still just adores this stuff. You should hear the mix tapes he sends me. Unfortunately he can't play it anymore for purely physical reasons.

Mike, I would say if you want to tone it down for your own aesthetic pleasure, then do so, but I kind of like it the way it is - unique to my listening experience. I like individuality.

• Moderators

I dig zombies. Romero is a must. Even his imitators are a must for me. Zombies allow me to get my violence on while still being the pacifist I am. They're zombies, right. They're already dead. So we'll kill 'em again. We have to! Living>Undead>Dead. It is all good fun I think. I read Keene, an almost exclusively zombie novelist.

I like all types of music. And while Combat Shock doesn't fit into my collection, I can dig it. So I might be wrong in any input I've got because it's not really my genre. But...

The way you've used the found voice stuff? You should do it. Your voice. Use some found voice and bury it a bit, then when you have the bits that stand out, sing it. That's why you're there. To add you. And... hooks? I'm not stupid enough to think that traditional structure applies here but, you could stand to use some variation in the onslaught. Silence makes the clangor... clangier. You touched on it a bit. Know what I mean?

Who's hand is that? Ouch.

• Members

Not sure what genre I'd personally classify your music as but it's interesting, I like "No More Room In Hell" the most though. Very nice guitar work man, seems a bit avant garde. Although you probably will be hard pressed to find a drummer that can pull that off, I don't think it's impossible. I believe the band Berzerker use to use a drum machine but then got a drummer that was incredibly fast, and I know the drummer for Shining has some really fast feet.

Keep up the good work, I added you on myspace btw.

• Members

My drummer friend has known me since 1980.

So when he makes these mix tapes, he'll put on like four cuts in a row of death-and-destruction, political antichurch PIL clone bull{censored} rant, then he'll throw in Berlin's The Metro to get me to listen again, then a bunch more retro speeddrum thrashpunk. Then some Dead Kennedys to reel me back in. He probably thinks he's tricking me into listening to his favorite lost/buzzed tunes, but I enjoy the variety.

• Members

hey man, {censored}s really awesome! I'm really into many styles of music but have a great love for the horror death metal genre. You might check out my solo project, much along the lines of yours but I play around with a bit of funk and jazz as well as my death metal and horror....crazy combos I know but it's a solo studio project - ideas that are cool but just don't fit with my full time band. I sent you a friends request, I call the project Death Chant.

On a side note....KillJoy from Necrophagia is not going to dig the sample rip off in Combat shock. I beleive it's Coffin Joe and Necrophagia used it on one of the songs off the "Divine art of Torture" CD. Considering you are into old-school horror and horror-death-metal, I'm sure you already know about this....lol, doubt it matters but other horror-death-metal fans will catch this and it's a small, very focused group of fans.

• Members

I dig zombies. Romero is a must. Even his imitators are a must for me. Zombies allow me to get my violence on while still being the pacifist I am. They're zombies, right. They're already dead. So we'll kill 'em again. We have to! Living>Undead>Dead. It is all good fun I think. I read Keene, an almost exclusively zombie novelist.

I like all types of music. And while Combat Shock doesn't fit into my collection, I can dig it. So I might be wrong in any input I've got because it's not really my genre. But...

The way you've used the found voice stuff?
You
should do it. Your voice. Use some found voice and bury it a bit, then when you have the bits that stand out, sing it. That's why you're there. To add
you
. And... hooks? I'm not stupid enough to think that traditional structure applies here but, you could stand to use some variation in the onslaught. Silence makes the clangor... clangier. You touched on it a bit. Know what I mean?

Who's hand is that? Ouch.

Haha, thanks. Its not really verse, chorus, kind of stuff but could use some "hooks" I guess.

• Members

My comment was in no way a knock on your drum machine. I would really love to see a drummer that could do the double kicks like that!

I think there are drummers out there that could play it (none that I know) ever hear of drummer John Merryman or Flo Mournier, those guys could play it easily I think.

Archived