Please critique my bands songwriting. (modern rock)

flaming turd

• Members

Hi, we just recorded these, and I'm wanting to get an idea of what you songwriters think. We are talking to a label, so we may go back and do a full length album, so we could definitely re-do these. Just wandering what parts you like and don't like. Riffs, arrangement, lyrics, vocals, ect...

Thanks, Bruce.

MySpace.com/EvenHeroes

• Members

Hey, Bruce

Haven't seen you around the SW forum before, I don't think. Welcome (or welcome back) to our little corner of HC!

Not an emo guy by a million miles so I'm probably the wrong guy to ask about this. But it, overall, sounds pretty radio friendly, sounds like what I used to hear coming out of people's trucks.

I like the fact that, while your team clearly used Auto-Tune or other vocal-tweaking FX, it seems quite subtle by current standards, doesn't have the horrible AT wrenchmarks so much emo/pop-rock these days has.

It all sounds very well put together. Very manicured. Even calculated. I'm not sure, though, if it sounds unique enough to cut through all the other emo/screamo bands out there.

One thing... I feel like I've been listening a long time and it's still the first song. As I check, I see we're going into the sixth minute and it still seems going strong (ah, there, it's winding down about 5'30"). That seems long to me -- but I'm a real believer in short songs. I'm not sure what the norm is in emo (tempted to say I've never listened to any emo this long before ;) ) but it's kind of hard to imagine that a 3-1/2 to 4 minute length might not be more what the radio guys are looking for.

Sounds like you guys got just about what you were going for into these recordings. Like I said, it's not really my thing, but it sounds like you nailed it to my uneducated ears.

Well done!

PS... I'll leave aside the lyrics as I find it quite difficult to separate and follow lyrics when I'm hearing new tunes. Should you want comments specifically on lyrics, you could post a link to them.

• Members

Sounds good to me. Even on my unflattering PC speakers it sounds good. It's well performed and produced. I'd agree with blue on the uniqueness front. It's good, but lots of stuff is good. These days, with all of the tools available to get an immaculate sound, being BAD might be better sometimes :-) Of course, I'm still in the phase where I'm very much copying what I like, so I'm no one to talk on that front. But you guys seem like you have potential to move up to the next plateau, it just might require finding a more unique voice for yourselves, I dunno.

• Members

I'll agree with what everyone here has already said, in that it really isn't my thing, but there's nothing about it I have any issues with. Sounds like the sound you were after is the sound you got. Which is good.

And in response to what blue2blue said, it really doesn't sound "emo" to me. Just sounds like your typical heavy modern rock. Not that I'm any more of an expert on "emo", by any means. But something tells me it's probably not the type of sound they were going for.

• Members

Emo is kind of semi-meaningless these days (or I guess more to the point, it's multi-meaningful, so it means different things to different people.) And, true to our obsession with hyper-categorization, it's begun to splinter into multiple sub-mo's, and they will probably also splinter.

• Members

I'll rarely go against much of Blue2blue's forum responses, but this band is not Emo. It's just straight modern Rock. The differences between the two are quite evident...(what follows is a half-sarcastic compare and contrast between the two genres.)

(1) The "manly" vocal performances sound more like Chris Cornell (a wanna-be performance)... whereas the typical emo vocalist tends to imitate Chris Carrabba (Dashboard Confessional). Just meaning most emo-vocalist usually sing in the higher registers and modern-rock-vocalists tend to sing in a lower-growl.

(2) These songs are way too heavy. They teeter on metal riffs powered by huge mesa-boogie stacks. Emo kids may piss their paints in fright over something so menacing.

(3) None of these songs have heart-your-sleeve, love lorn lyrics about a girl that broke your heart after dating for a whopping three days. Instead, the lyrics are of the holier-than-holy, "I'm going to save your life with my song," breed of lyrics...I'm sorry, I meant "Creed" of lyrics. I'm not saying that's a bad thing; it is what it is.

(4) Emo is a derivative pop-punk, pop-punk was a derivative of hardcore-punk DIY ethics, hardcore was a backlash against New-Wave, New-Wave was a derivative of punk (think: "Sex Pistols" or early "Clash"). Now here are some of the influences listed on their myspace page: Disturbed, Staind, Chevelle, Pantera, Creed, Nickleback, Sevendust, Godsmack, Tool, Filter, A Perfect Circle, Metallica, Audioslave, and Seether. All bands who owe more to metal than anything remotely punk-rock. In Fact, while they shared some of the same influences musically, hardcore-punks and metal-heads had huge feuds in the mid-eighties, which forever split the two styles forever. (All of this is discussed in the documentary, "American Hardcore.")

Anyway, with that said...

The song, "The Highway," is extremely reminiscent of Audioslave, with a bit of Linkin Park heavy-riffage thrown in. The vocals sound like Eddy Vedder and Chris Cornell had a love child...oh wait, they did...his name was Scott Stapp (Creed); the vocals sound like him too.

Anyway, nothing really stands out about the song writing. While there is obvious talent, it just sounds like the band is a bit of a carbon-copy. Everything is bit too clich

• Members

Happy to be corrected!

I like to make a point of pointing out how out of touch I try to stay. It's like a guiding principle for me:

Must not participate in popular culture. Must not participate in...

;)

I enjoyed the primer!

In addition to the very well put together package these guys have here, I'll give them something else -- whether one respects all their choices or not -- you have to give them credit for having the juevos to list Nickelback among their influences. That's like... I dunno... brave. ;)

• Members

Happy to be corrected!

I like to make a point of pointing out how out of touch I try to stay. It's like a guiding principle for me:

Must not participate in popular culture. Must not participate in...

;)

I enjoyed the primer!

In addition to the
very
well put together package these guys have here, I'll give them something else -- whether one respects all their choices or not -- you have to give them credit for having the juevos to list
Nickelback
among their influences. That's like... I dunno...
brave.
;)

LOL! Well, it's the truth...:freak:

:thu:

Thanks for the input so far.

• Members

Progrock,

I just meant to say that it sounds of a professional quality. I know that no one said it was amateur. I'm just sayin'... I got on this forum and expected to download a bunch of amateur-ish music and I'm surprised by how good some of you are (including even heroes...). There's a lot of amateur's out there, these even heroes dudes aren't them... that's all I'm saying.

To all you dude's with this impressive music, quit wasting your time posting on these forums and go make a million dollars! =D

• Members

Yeah, especially on Make Me Burn you guys have obviously been able to tap into the radio-friendly chorus formula: big, heavy, simple chord progression with a catchy vocal melody over it. I listened before looking at other people's comments, but ended up thinking essentially the same thing. It's well done, but needs a little something to stand out if it's going to be all over the radio next to 3 Days Grace and Alter Bridge. Perhaps focus more on melodic, riffy guitar parts. I know that's a lot harder than laying down chord progressions, but at least to some extent, "it's the riffs stupid."

Archived