Tell me about the Framus Cobra

wolfspider

• Members

How is it compared to the Uberschall?

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but its sort of like comparing a 5150 and a Recto, Cobra being the 5150 and Uber being the recto, obviously. Uber is a lot more low end/low midrange, huge and a bit loose, while the Cobra, while still huge is more upper midrange and a lot tighter and will cut through more in a mix.

Or so I read. :snax:

• Members

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but its sort of like comparing a 5150 and a Recto, Cobra being the 5150 and Uber being the recto, obviously. Uber is a lot more low end/low midrange, huge and a bit loose, while the Cobra, while still huge is more upper midrange and a lot tighter and will cut through more in a mix.

Or so I read.
:snax:

Eh... kind of. The Cobra and Uber both have a ton of low-end. I'd say the Uber has more of a Sub quality to it. Huge looming lowend with less punch, where the cobra has a lot more punch in the lowend.

The uber as stated before can be plaenty tight. Ask TU BE. He was using my recto and uber the other day and it was tight as balls.

Also cut again depends on the EQ. I'd say they could both cut or get lost all the same. :)

• Members

Eh... kind of. The Cobra and Uber both have a ton of low-end. I'd say the Uber has more of a Sub quality to it. Huge looming lowend with less punch, where the cobra has a lot more punch in the lowend.

The uber as stated before can be plaenty tight. Ask TU BE. He was using my recto and uber the other day and it was tight as balls.

Also cut again depends on the EQ. I'd say they could both cut or get lost all the same.
:)

Okay, I was close :idk: That said, I didn't mean the uber wasn't tight, just not AS tight. Boosted, that's another story. All I know is that I really want to try both :love:

• Members

Okay, I was close
:idk:
That said, I didn't mean the uber wasn't tight, just not AS tight. Boosted, that's another story. All I know is that I really want to try both
:love:

I think the uber is tightest with the gain turned down. It's gain is usable all the way up to "11."

I am NOT a fan of boosting this amp. I think it takes that chewy organic distortion quality out of the amp and makes it sound sterile.

/thread hijack

• Members

Okay, I was close
:idk:
That said, I didn't mean the uber wasn't tight, just not AS tight. Boosted, that's another story. All I know is that I really want to try both
:love:

No worries Mr. Soss.

Come to the next ampfest and you can try em. :)

Next ampfest I should run everyone's rig at the same time.

Maybe Recto, Cobra, Uber, Herbert, VH4, maybe something ENGL, 5150, and something else lol.

I have the ability to run 8 at once :o

I cannot even imagine how powerful that would sound/feel lol.

• Members

No worries Mr. Soss.

Come to the next ampfest and you can try em.
:)

Next ampfest I should run everyone's rig at the same time.

Maybe Recto, Cobra, Uber, Herbert, VH4, maybe something ENGL, 5150, and something else lol.

I have the ability to run 8 at once
:o

I cannot even imagine how powerful that would sound/feel lol.

I just spooged in my pants thinking about that set-up....thanks :thu:

• Members

I can't think of any amp as tight as the cobra with half of that amount of low end

the power amp of the cobra is designed for maximum level of tightness (tighter than mesa and VHT designs)

you can crank the power amp master volume and it still gonna sound tight (and the cleans will barely mud up with the EL34's)

so it's a matter of taste and depends on what you wanna play

it has more bass than a Recto, but it's a very stiff low end, almost like a bass amp

when I pass bass 4, my bassists always start to whine :lol:

you'll hardly achieve a smooth tone from it and it's VERY picky with speakers

I personally hated it with v30's and the century vintage I had

the clean channel is clearly a Fender clone and the distortion circuit is 95% the same of the Soldano SLO100 (it's way closer to a SLO than the Recto and 5150)

the main difference from a SLO is on the power amp, which explain the extra tightness, more aggressive approach and dry tone, but the clear and open midrange, and grainy gain reminds me A LOT of a high end SLO Clone my bandmate had for years

don't hear the bull{censored} some might say about reliability

most of the Cobra parts are the same used on Bogners, except the boards, the transformers and the blue Epcos capacitors (that cost the same as the red WIMA's and green ERO's used on Bogners and Diezels)

the resistors are all metal films, the yellow caps are the same used by Bogner and Diezel, the electrolytic caps apparently too (not sure, but I might check it again soon), alpha pots, great jacks that don't get rusty or noisy (they don't even pop when you take the cable out), and the trafos must be good, as they can handle several hours cranked and don't overheat (I tested it a few times, leaving the amp on ten for over 6 hours)

the only crappy thing is the tolex, but it won't rip if you be careful

mine has just a small rip cause it travelled 3 months by sea with the footswitch attached on it with a screw edge rubbing the top of the head

just don't hit your furniture and sharp edges with it, and it's gonna look mint for a long time

• Members

I think the Cobra is a badass amp. However, if you don't gig it is kind of useless. I think the Cobra on low to medium volume is only okay, there are way better sounding amps for home and studio use.

But when you max the channel volumes and really push the tubes, that {censored} is awesome. Aggressive, but clear with a great, cutting midrange. Cleans are amoung the best of high-gainers.

But it gets muddy and indistinct very quickly if the volume isn't cranked and/or the tubes aren't biased hot.

• Members

I agree that the Cobra isn't great at low volumes where something like an Engl would be better for home use. The Cobra shines in a band mix or playing alone with it cranked up a bit. I wouldn't max the channel volume though unless I was playing at lower volumes. It seems you can compensate at lower volumes by cranking the channel volume but at higher volumes it's not needed and the amp sounds better to me between 2 and 3 oclock on the channel.

• Members

Relability wise... well the Cobra has been with me in 4 countries and 20 gigs this year so no prob with that, just keep it in a road case

and sound wise, there is one term that i have cought on here and it describes the sound of the cobra in the best way:

pissed-off

• Members

the Cobra parts are the same used on Bogners, except the boards, the transformers and the blue Epcos capacitors (that cost the same as the red WIMA's and green ERO's used on Bogners and Diezels)

the resistors are all metal films, the yellow caps are the same used by Bogner and Diezel, the electrolytic caps apparently too (not sure, but I might check it again soon), alpha pots, great jacks that don't get rusty or noisy (they don't even pop when you take the cable out), and the trafos must be good, as they can handle several hours cranked and don't overheat (I tested it a few times, leaving the amp on ten for over 6 hours)

mine has just a small rip cause it travelled 3 months by sea with the footswitch attached on it with a screw edge rubbing the top of the head

just don't hit your furniture and sharp edges with it, and it's gonna look mint for a long time

You've only seen the inside of a Shiva right? Can anyone verify these claims? Just interested if it's really true. :thu:

• Members

the cobra is a brutal, pissed off, metal machine...it's got a great sounding clean, but the crunch and lead channels are made to play heavy music without a doubt

it's a great sounding amp, but a picky one to get dialed in...you absolutely have to upgrade the power tubes and bias it warmer than stock, it's also real finicky about what guitar you're using and cab you have it plugged into, more than any high gainer i've ever seen

• Members

You've only seen the inside of a Shiva right? Can anyone verify these claims? Just interested if it's really true.
:thu:

someone posted a pic of the XTC a week ago too

the XTC has separated boards and pcb mounted power tube sockets, just like the Cobra

the XTC has red WIMA's and green ERO's, like the shiva, instead of the blue Epcos of the Cobra (again... they cost the same)

not saying that they are built the same way, but if Framus uses cheap parts and construction, then your loved Bogners and Diezels aren't far above from cheap

I'll repeat: no PTP wiring, no NOS/rare/vintage/custom/special/mojo/magic/elven powder/hot virgin oracle parts

• Members

someone posted a pic of the XTC a week ago too

the XTC has separated boards and pcb mounted power tube sockets, just like the Cobra

the XTC has red WIMA's and green ERO's, like the shiva, instead of the blue Epcos of the Cobra (again... they cost the same)

not saying that they are built the same way, but if Framus uses cheap parts and construction, then your loved Bogners and Diezels aren't far above from cheap

I'll repeat: no PTP wiring, no NOS/rare/vintage/custom/special/mojo/magic/elven powder/hot virgin oracle parts

I don't own either brand at the moment so I don't have any emotional attachment either way, but you seem a little too biased towards Framus and a bit of a Bogner hater, so I would rather hear comments from someone who can be more objective about the parts comparisons and who has been inside the amps themselves.

• Members

don't hear the bull{censored} some might say about reliability

most of the Cobra parts are the same used on Bogners, except the boards, the transformers and the blue Epcos capacitors (that cost the same as the red WIMA's and green ERO's used on Bogners and Diezels)

I've never owned a Framus or a Bogner, so I couldn't tell you about the reliability of either, but there is a LOT more that goes into the reliability of an amp than just the parts it uses.

Construction, design, defect percentage, shipping methods, all of these things attribute to how reliable a company's products are.

If two amp makers use the same parts, but one is less reliable in terms of the soldering, or the tubes they use, or how they bias the amp, or uses cheaper packing materials, you will see a substantially higher percentage of defects and malfunctions.

I could guarantee you if someone handed me all the parts necessary to make a Framus or Bogner, it would not even remotely be the same level of craftsmanship as either.

That being said, I don't necessarily judge a company for having a few faulty products. Defects, accidents and malfunctions are going to happen at any company particularly with more advanced, technological products. What makes a solid company, to me, is how well they handle those mistakes (warranty, customer service, repair time, etc.).

• Members

I don't own either brand at the moment so I don't have any emotional attachment either way, but you seem a little too biased towards Framus and a bit of a Bogner hater, so I would rather hear comments from someone who can be more objective about the parts comparisons and who has been inside the amps themselves.

emotional attachment on a completely TECHNICAL argumentation :confused:

and now I'm even a Bogner hater for that :facepalm:

I think you can elaborate a better counterargument instead of trying this cheap ad hominem fallacy

:poke:

• Members

emotional attachment on a completely TECHNICAL argumentation
:confused:
and now I'm even a Bogner hater for that
:facepalm:
I think you can elaborate a better counterargument instead of trying this cheap ad hominem fallacy

:poke:

Pardon me if I don't blindly accept your expert parts analysis without asking for more opinions.

Sorry, but you come across as a bit "frothy" when you comment in threads like this. :p

Archived