If you had to go Solid State?

Crunchtime

• Members

I just traded a Framus Dragon for a Vetta II.

the main reason is for a fun amp to play with more than play through. Also, not forgetting to mention, how well the vetta records, and convenience of having one head and floorboard to do the work of a head, 5 pedals, tuner, and more adjusting.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just traded a Framus Dragon for a Vetta II.

the main reason is for a fun amp to play with more than play through. Also, not forgetting to mention, how well the vetta records, and convenience of having one head and floorboard to do the work of a head, 5 pedals, tuner, and more adjusting.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Members

Ampeg VH-150 (for those who don't know, it's the same as the VH-140C, but with a single 150W power amp and no chorus).

a couple people have mentioned boosting...these amps sound badass if you turn the gain down to about 3 and use a tube screamer in front (level up, gain down, of course)

• Members

I just don;t get why the Ampeg gets so much secks here. There are at least a couple amps I would use before the Ampeg. It's like some people have only played one SS amp, then recommend it to everyone as being the one and only end thread ss amp.

1) Gallien Krueger Backline 100. A very serious metal amp that, side by side, kicked the ass of the Carvin 60 watt tube combo. And very decent cleans as well. It's hard to find, but sub-500, even in the store. The gain is just beyond the beyond. Typical solid state fizz is non-existant. Typical solid state tightness and consistantancy over volume rise is....in spades.

2) Laney RG80 Deluxe. It's possible this isn't QUITE a "nu-metal" amp, but it takes pedals well, has a great boost, and plays both channels at once. Excellent. Very loud.

Also, I had the Crate G130c (head version) and found it every bit as good as the Ampeg (head version). Nailed generic Dime tone.

It's not that I hate the Ampeg, but there are certainly a handful of amps every bit as good or better.

• Members

hm, not usually, but I'll check it out next time I fire it up

I agree with raceu4her. Engage the chorus, but keep settings minimal. You only get a slight chorus effect, but if you buy into the "Stereo chorus" thing, it not only adds a bit of depth and space, but also seems to engage the full power of the amp.

• Members

I prefer solid-state to tube amps for metal stuff. The slew rate of SS is so much faster than tubes, which translates to faster attack and tightness. A lot of guys here seem to have problems with their tube amps related to this, if the number of threads about boosting them to tighten them up is any indication.

As far as amps go, the ISP Theta seems like a pretty cool SS amp, though I might do a rack rig.

• Members

I prefer solid-state to tube amps for metal stuff. The slew rate of SS is so much faster than tubes, which translates to faster attack and tightness. A lot of guys here seem to have problems with their tube amps related to this,

if the number of threads about boosting them to tighten them up is any indication.

Hmmmm. This isn't gonna get the attention it deserves.

• Members

the VH140C is great, but I prefer the Randall RG 80/100 es. It sounds a lot better to my ears for more traditional metal styles. If you're into straight up death metal and nothing with less brutality and gain, then the VH140C has you covered. But the Randall gets more crunchy and middy to my ears.

• Members

1) Gallien Krueger Backline 100. A very serious metal amp that, side by side, kicked the ass of the Carvin 60 watt tube combo. And very decent cleans as well. It's hard to find, but sub-500, even in the store. The gain is just beyond the beyond. Typical solid state fizz is non-existant. Typical solid state tightness and consistantancy over volume rise is....in spades.

a local pawn shop has one of these and I think I should try it out with my guitar (with good pickups). I tried it with a stock RG 550 and it sounded thin and awful :idk:

• Members
a local pawn shop has one of these and I think I should try it out with my guitar (with good pickups). I tried it with a stock RG 550 and it sounded thin and awful
:idk:

Well, I don't like the RG550....but being as that is....

I guess it depends on your expectations. Also depends on the amp being in good working order. What speaker was in it? There's a few extra features on the amp...be sure to check them.

What are they asking for it?

Given my experience, it's not a MK IV, but "thin and awful" would never come to mind. A cool solid state metal distortion is how I saw it. :idk:

Especially when played side by side with the Carvin tube combo. It kicked it's ass. The store didn't know which amp I wanted, but commented on the G-K.

Archived