Those who have old Charvels/Jacksons w/ original pickups

JnBroadbent

• Members

O I figured you wantd the pick ups for your lawmower or somthing.

Coincidence, i have one of the old Jackson passives here that looks a little bit like it was run over by a lawnmower.

Anyhow, considering it came in a budget guitar is is a really decent pickup, kind of reminds me of a Dimarzio Norton or something. I have it in my ghetto metal guitar these days.

OP are you talking about the passive Jacksons?

-chris

• Members

Coincidence, i have one of the old Jackson passives here that looks a little bit like it was
run over
by a lawnmower.

Anyhow, considering it came in a budget guitar is is a really decent pickup, kind of reminds me of a Dimarzio Norton or something. I have it in my ghetto metal guitar these days.

OP are you talking about the passive Jacksons?

-chris

The pickups are passive but have added active controls boosts.

• Members

The pickups are passive but have added active controls boosts.

Ah interesting. The Charvel this one came in didn't have a boost circuit in it. I usually use the pickup into a boost on the floor though. I wonder if i can find some more info on the in-guitar circuit to maybe build one to play with. Hmm.

-chris

• Members

Ah interesting. The Charvel this one came in didn't have a boost circuit in it. I usually use the pickup into a boost on the floor though. I wonder if i can find some more info on the in-guitar circuit to maybe build one to play with. Hmm.

-chris

EMG makes a bunch now.

• Members

I've got a Charvel Mode 4 with Jackson actives and the active mid boost circuit as well. Not sure if I'd be interested in trading or selling them, though, since they sound unbelievably good. I demo'd a set of EMGs in a store on a Schecter Hellraiser, highly underwhelmed compared to the Jacksons. Sterile, I guess. Could have been the guitar, though - it was a Hellraiser V, pretty small body and I'm just not sure if a "V" is the right shape to get a good resonating tone. Maybe it doesn't matter, but the pickups definitely didn't have the kind of tone I had thought they might. One of my favorite artists, Devin Townsend, uses them into a Mesa Mark and gets a phenomenally thick tone, but I couldn't get them to sound "big," just sharp. Very sharp.

I've heard good things about the Blackouts, though. Can you tell me a bit more about them compared to the Jacksons? I assume you have some idea since you apparently have had experience with both. Thanks in advance if you can.

Archived