Drugs And Music ::May Contain Mature Content::

OAFCORE

• Members

I think we can all admit that drugs are a very important part of music history, and it seems to permeate all genres. Personally, I don't know if I write "Better" when I'm stoned but it sure gets the creative juices flowing. Not to mention there is something supremely satisfying to me about drinking a beer on stage, or taking a shot before practice (that may just be my families history of alcoholism talking but true none the less)...Do drugs play a part in your writing? Do you believe an artist can create their best while high? If yes why, and if not how do you explain the history of music inspired by drugs?

I don't want to alienate the straight edge folks out there so please share your side on this question....

• Members

Clearly anything that gets you out of your literal, rutted mind can be useful for creative purposes, and drugs can work that way. The gotcha of course is that, if it does work, then you are kind of stuck, because you want/need to be creative all the time, and so you have to be stoned more and more. I think that this is the big problem with them, not that they don't work, but that they do work.

• Members

I haven't gotten high in a couple of years and I don't really think it has hurt my songwriting. I may have mild ADD b/c when I did get high my mind would tend to wander and I don't think I have ever actually written a song under the influence. (I'm talking about lyrics)

I probably did come up w/ some good song ideas while stoned, just never did any real writing.

However one thing I would do is kind of space out and just play chords on my guitar and kind of improvise for a little while, so my guitar chops probably benefitted more.

I have read Aldous Huxley's The Doors of Perception and Carlos Castaneda's The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge and I will admit I was very intrigued. There are some substances mentioned in those books that I would love to try out for inspirational purposes, but will probably never get the opportunity.

On the topic of weed and opium, Bob Dylan once said, "Everyone's mind needs a little bending once in a while."

• Members

Stay in school, stay away from drugs and alcohol, and practice every day.

Do as I say...

... not as I did.

:D

Seriously though... I've lost way, way too many friends to drugs -- and alcohol -- for me to joke about this for long. I'm not going to bag too hard on marijuana, since the available science clearly stacks up on the side of it being relatively harmless to general health. (That said, there is some new research, pending supporting studies, that suggests there may be cumulative negative effects on thinking for some heavy users.)

And -- for many folks, light alcohol use, when approached with judicious caution regarding driving and operating machinery, can provide relaxation and even some mild health benefits counterbalanced by some other health dangers (even for light use, particularly among women). That said, as someone who swore he'd never drink and yet became a day-in, day-out heavy and enthusiastic drinker for several decades, I would strongly warn folks to keep a wary eye on their habits... a nice glass of wine every once in a while really can end up as a fifth or more a day.

With regard to speed, coke, pills (even stuff like Valium -- it's one of the worst to kick, believe it or not), and, of course, our good old friend Mr H -- I say, just don't even start. It's not worth it. It is so much easier to not start than to quit, once you've got going.

Seriously, folks, dead is dead. Too many of my friends have ended up that way.

• Members

It begs the question; if someone is a good songwriter when under the influence, could it be because they were already a good songwriter? Would they be even better if they could perform without it?

There is obviously a history of some great songwriters who were alcoholics and drug abusers, but are they good because of the drugs, or could they have been better without them?

Personally, being in the medical field (well, a fringe of it anyways) I can tell you that burnout for long-term abusers is astounding, and there is nothing more sad than an elderly burnout. However, I've also seen some fogies who could simply rock with the best of them...These were the ones that may be slowly nursing a drink or a smoke, but they're not taking them down as fast as possible. I personally feel like that's pretty telling, but it's a personal experience.

I have a moral dilemma with anyone who feels they can only write "well" when ripped. There are a lot of ways to release inhibitions and to explore your own creativity without pharmaceuticals.

• Members

Most drugs are damaging, especially that legal garbage. Weed being the major exception. However the constructive benefits of weed can quickly vaporize if your life gets out of balance. It's all about balance.

Bob Marley wrote some of the most listenable music I've ever heard. Santana too. Etc.

In terms of hard drugs, sure you can cite Ray Charles, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Jimi Hendrix and a million more examples of musicians who clearly knew how to make great music -- but every single one of those people had great turmoil in their lives and that's a trade which probably isn't equitable for most people.

By far booze is the most destructive drug in the industry IMO, but again I've seen *way* too many drunks deliver brilliant music night-after-night to conclude that it's always a negative influence musically.

Eddie Van Halen admits publicly that he never played sober in his life until quite recently -- pretty hard to argue that it diminished his affect on the music world.

• Members

While drugs are an intrinsic problem for some, I think that the real problem is a general stigma towards them. It makes people who like drugs feel guilty, and the guilt becomes much worse than the drugs themselves.

Also, substances and their effects is an EXTREMELY individual thing. I frankly think it's a bit silly to say, cannabis is more 'ok' than something else, in an absolute sense.

I've always admired people who can play well while sloshed. I love drinking, like a good European, and I probably drink much more than my North American friends. But, my fine motor co-ordination goes away quickly. I won't perform or play an instrument at all after having even one drink. Cigarettes are addictive and an anathema to a lot of people, but I enjoy having one once in a while. But, I can't stand cannabis---even the smell disgusts me.

Everyone's different. Judgment and conformity are bad. Tolerance!

• Members

Aside from being a musician I enjoy listening to music much more after smoking weed. Even music I don't particularly care for becomes interesting and dynamic; it seems to permeate my brain better. Then, when I play while high I appreciate everything I'm doing (the good and the bad) and it inspires me...It's like, when you get a new peice gear that enables you to make sounds that you've never be able to create and it inspires you. Lots of guitar players say that they get inspired by tone, and marijuana seems to create that sense of inspiration in me on gear that I play through daily!

As for the booze....I'm not naive enough to claim it makes me a better player. I drink before shows because I get stage fright and it eases the nerves. The kicker is knowing your limit, which is the hard part. Some of the best shows I have played were when I had a few drinks in me, and some of the worst when I was sober.

The reason I posted this question is because I just recently experienced DMT for the first time and it really blew my mind! I have done plenty of halucinigens before but this was a first with this particular breed. I knew that I had to listen to my bands stuff while I tripped and it gave me a new perspective on my music. It was like listening to it for the first time. There is absolutly no way I could have played a guitar while on the drug; I was way too out of it, but I came out of the experience with a broader vision of my music and life in general....The next day at practice was one of the most productive days we've had in a long time. I don't know if this was due to the drug or not....but it was one hell of an experience.

• Members

Most drugs are damaging, especially that legal garbage. Weed being the major exception. However the constructive benefits of weed can quickly vaporize if your life gets out of balance. It's all about balance.

Bob Marley wrote some of the most listenable music I've ever heard. Santana too. Etc.

In terms of hard drugs, sure you can cite Ray Charles, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Jimi Hendrix and a million more examples of musicians who clearly knew how to make great music -- but every single one of those people had great turmoil in their lives and that's a trade which probably isn't equitable for most people.

By far booze is the most destructive drug in the industry IMO, but again I've seen *way* too many drunks deliver brilliant music night-after-night to conclude that it's always a negative influence musically.

Eddie Van Halen admits publicly that he never played sober in his life until quite recently -- pretty hard to argue that it diminished his affect on the music world.

this is a big problem with people today. They exempt weed as a damaging drug. Hell I did too, but last year (my senior year of hs) we went to a rehab for journalism, and we met with the director. He told us how in the 80's regan took the war on drugs so far that he tried to kill off marijuana using chemicals. The chemicals did not kill the marijuana at all, but instead made it more potent, and actually addictive. So what your mum and pop used to smoke with the hippies isnt the same drug thats out there today. Its significantly more potent (at least 10x i forget the exact quantity) and its addictive.

• Members

I wasn't familiar with how 'drug education' is actually implemented. Is your experience fairly standard, a visit to a rehab center and a chat?

I havent' paid close attention to drug education policies in maybe a few decades, wow.

Your post has me frozen. I'm not sure I like what's going on.

Sorry, I know it's not music-related, but your post just has me struck.

this is a big problem with people today. They exempt weed as a damaging drug. Hell I did too, but last year (my senior year of hs) we went to a rehab for journalism, and we met with the director. He told us how in the 80's regan took the war on drugs so far that he tried to kill off marijuana using chemicals. The chemicals did not kill the marijuana at all, but instead made it more potent, and actually addictive. So what your mum and pop used to smoke with the hippies isnt the same drug thats out there today. Its significantly more potent (at least 10x i forget the exact quantity) and its addictive.

• Members

I wasn't familiar with how 'drug education' is actually implemented. Is your experience fairly standard, a visit to a rehab center and a chat?

I havent' paid close attention to drug education policies in maybe a few decades, wow.

I'm almost 24 and never did or heard of others doing anything like that in my school....most of my drug education came from.....well.....doing drugs!

• Members

yeah mate it was really alarming to hear. And no its not standard it was just for the journalism class, and not even the entire class went. But the director at the rehab said its a real problem bc so many people dont know, and it isnt being taught in schools. Hell, out of my 4 years in high school that was about the only drug education i got. But it worked really well. Too bad more people arent teaching the same way

• Members

my two drugs of choice are caffeine and alcohol. honestly, i consume more caffeine (via coffee, tea, etc...) than i do alcohol. i find that i do some of my best playing and singing when my reflexes and mind are razor-sharp and i'm not thinking about what i sing or play. it just seems to flow out of me when i'm at my peak.

i do sing okay when i'm tipsy, but i think that's because you use a different part of the brain when you sing rather than the part you use for your motor skills. when it comes to my guitar playing, however, i can't play for two cents worth of {censored}e when i'm even tipsy.

i do recognize that some of the music that would be in the 'great' category has been made under the influence of drugs. but, i also know that we've lost too many damn good artists to the mishandling of drugs. think of what the music world would be like if we still had jim morrison, jimi hendrix, john bonham, syd barrett, phil lynott, hillel slovak, the list goes on and on.

• Members

It's sad that the director of a drug rehab would put out such cockeyed information, though the bottom line (pot is not just wildly more expensive but often considerably stronger) is basically true.

Herbicides have been used in an attempt to eradicate all types of drug crops for years. In the 70s, during the Nixon and Ford administrations particularly, a toxin called paraquat was used (and may well still be) and it was widely discussed at the time that it was not necessarily killing the pot crops but that it was contaminating them and making them toxic to users in some cases. No doubt that potential is there with most herbicides, including those used around our food crops with such abandon by agribusiness.

Now, perhaps what the director of the rehab was getting at was that the spraying of these herbicides drove pot production north above the border and into the Pacific Northwest where production was harder to police than in third world countries like Mexico and Colombia -- where corrupt anti-drug officials would typically pocket US dollars at the same time they were on the payroll of narco kingpins in international cartels -- they take the US bucks, call up their benefactors in the cartels and ask which of their rivals they want taken out. Everyone is satisfied -- profits rise for those with the deep pockets and the less-ruthless and successful drug producers are flipped with much fanfare. And drugs continue to come across the boarder.

But when production began shifting into the US, those college-edumucated hippies did a little back-to-the-earth studying and applied a little crop husbandry to the issue and were able to create much stronger varietals of crops.

Which, in turn, got higher prices.

Keep in mind that, even if marijuana was somewhat less potent in 1970 -- an ounce of it only cost ten dollars! Today I'm told an ounce can cost as much as 800 dollars in $100 eighths.

So, if one looks at it from a dollar standpoint -- it's actually more expensive to get high today even when adjusted for inflation.

NONE of that has anything to do, actually one way or the other with whether or not one should indulge in drugs or alcohol, of course -- but it is one of those little pseudo-facts that gets bandied about.

After having a police anti-drug lecturer try to "scare" a room full of high school seniors back at the end of the 60s with his personal anecdote about smoking a marijuana joint -- under a doctor's supervision, of course -- and getting the feeling of -- I kid you not -- a half hour orgasm (his actual words!), I've found myself feeling like some of the biggest actual promoters of drug use are some of these so-called drug education professionals, alternating between bold-faced lies and absurd and sometimes quite enticing "scare" stories (not all as idiotically false or inverted as the one above, of course).

And that's a shame, because people really need the unvarnished truth -- not exaggerations or outright lies -- or misguided shock and scare tactics.

• Members

inlation is a bitch. however:

an 8th of top quality primo generally runs 50-70. an ounce 300-400. even paying by the gram, you won't pay 800. you're getting ripped off hardcore paying 800.

of course, grow it yourself and it's not an issue. and in countries where it's unregulated, it's ridiculously cheap. a finger of nepali hash is a dollar or two.

• Members

Well, when I used to get "high" it allowed me to get in the mindset alot easier, and my lyrics were way more creative, but I had a hard time reeling myself in enough to complete projects.

Now that I'm sober my lyrics suck, and it is harder to break out of myself enough to write stuff that is provocative to me. But on the other hand I am much more productive with my time spent. Especially with studio work where you need to buckle down and get professional.

There are two sides to the coin and for me is impossible to find a balance between the two, so I must opt for sobriety because my reality no longer permits me to live life in my head and still be functional as a person.

Archived