i changed to humbuckers and now my blues jr...

bluesboy

• Members

has no clean headroom with my bridge pickup.

I went back to 498T/490R inmy EPI LP standard, and they sound great, but on the bridge pickup i start to get breakup immidiately, amp volume settings- normal around 3, and master just on for bedroom play. I use this amp for jamming with my buddies and i like to have a somewhat clean sound... any ideas for improving some clean headroom for this amp? Im keeping these pickups in

• Members
has no clean headroom with my bridge pickup.

I went back to 498T/490R inmy EPI LP standard, and they sound great, but on the bridge pickup i start to get breakup immidiately, amp volume settings- normal around 3, and master just on for bedroom play. I use this amp for jamming with my buddies and i like to have a somewhat clean sound... any ideas for improving some clean headroom for this amp? Im keeping these pickups in

Its not going to magically lose clean headroom from the guitar. It will overdrive with the same amount of signal being sent to it regardless of where the signal comes from. Your LP is obviously sending a stronger signal than the Strat. Thicker and hotter probably. Turn down the gain and roll back the bass a little. Also, as mentioned, don't just blow off the comment about actually using the guitar's volume knobs. It was a great answer. As far as changing tubes, speaker, etc, everything you do is going to also affect your Strat tone too when you use it.

• Members
:facepalm:

Are you aware that with a higher efficiency speaker, you are buying more clean headroom?

but that doesn't make sence... how are u going to get more head room from the preamp if you change the speaker... if its the power tubes overdriving then i get it... but it seems like its the pre amp tubes that are causing the breakup...

or do i fail at teh toobz?

• Members

but that doesn't make sence... how are u going to get more head room from the preamp if you change the speaker... if its the power tubes overdriving then i get it... but it seems like its the pre amp tubes that are causing the breakup...

or do i fail at teh toobz?

We don't know which section is causing the extra overdrive, do we? Either way

a higher efficiency speaker will give you the same volume, at a lower setting on the gain/volume knobs.

• Members

Are you aware that with a higher efficiency speaker, you are buying more clean headroom?

Come on man. In this case, the speaker would not help. If the breakup was coming from running the amp at extremely high volumes, then yes a speaker might help. This overdrive is occurring in the preamp, and a speaker is not going to help that.

• Members

Well, if you are still disputing that a higher efficiency speaker gets you more headroom, then I don't think we are both right.

the speaker will get you more head room if its power amp distortion

if its pre amp distortion it wont...

can we agree on that?:poke:

• Members

the speaker will get you more head room if its power amp distortion

if its pre amp distortion it wont...

can we agree on that?:poke:

Certainly not. A lower gain/preamp setting on the amp will give less preamp overdrive/gain/saturation, right? It will also probably lower your overall volume, right? So the added DB of the more efficient speaker brings more volume back in. So, you therefore have the same amount of volume, now with the gain knob setting lower. Lower gain setting on the amp SHOULD = less preamp overdrive. I guess if the gain is set at say 1, and you are still saturating the preamp, then you need to go to a lower V1 if you want to clean it up. Otherwise, if there is room to lower the gain, it will equal less preamp overdrive. That's why amp manufacturers put it there, to control how much gain you want.

• Members

Come on man.
In this case
, the speaker would not help. If the breakup was coming from running the amp at extremely high volumes, then yes a speaker might help. This overdrive is occurring in the preamp, and a speaker is not going to help that.

If a more efficient speakers allows you to lower your preamp gain and still get the original overall volume, yes, the more efficient speaker will help.

• Members

Certainly not. A lower gain/preamp setting on the will give less preamp overdrive/gain/saturation, right? It will also probably lower your overall volume, right? So the added DB of the mopre efficient speaker brings more volume back in. So, you therefore have the same amount of volume, now with the gain knob setting lower. Lower gain setting on the amp SHOULD = less preamp overdrive.
I guess if the gain is set at say 1, and you are still saturating the preamp, then you need to go to a lower V1 if you want to clean it up.
Otherwise, if there is room to lower the gain, it will equal less preamp overdrive. That's why amp manufacturers put it there, to control how much gain you want.

this seems to be the op's problem... and if it is, then the speaker would not help...

and yes i agree with everything u have said in this post

• Members
this seems to be the op's problem... and if it is, then the speaker would not help...

and yes i agree with everything u have said in this post

It would be nice to know where the OP has the gain and volume set on the amp. Looks like the master is barely on which will give tons of room for for clean-ability. Should have read that more carefully initially.:facepalm: What is "normal" as far as the amp is concerned? If it is the channel volume, the OP should just be able to lower that and bring the master up a bit to compensate. If that doesn't work and he doesn't want to venture off of 10 on the guitar's volume knob, then a 5751 or lower in V1 would work. Or even an EQ pedal in front of the amp with the sliders lowered.

• Members

i guess you could lower the bridge pickup

but just using your volume knob like everyone else already said, pretty basic

I find Gibson/Epi's factory pickup height suggestions to just be too high. All my HB guitars that I use are a fair amount lower than what they suggest.

• Members
It would be nice to know where the OP has the gain and volume set on the amp. Looks like the master is barely on which will give tons of room for for clean-ability. Should have read that more carefully initially.
What is "normal" as far as the amp is concerned? If it is the channel volume, the OP should just be able to lower that and bring the master up a bit to compensate. If that doesn't work and he doesn't want to venture off of 10 on the guitar's volume knob, then a 5751 or lower in V1 would work. Or even an EQ pedal in front of the amp with the sliders lowered.

:snax: for u i think we agree :love:

Archived