i changed to humbuckers and now my blues jr...

bluesboy

• Members
:facepalm:
:facepalm:

Are you aware that with a higher efficiency speaker, you are buying more clean headroom?

The preamp, not the speaker, is overdriving from the high output of his bridge humbucker.

What part of that do you have trouble understanding?

OP, turn your guitar's volume knob down. That's how the big boys do it. :thu:

• Members
The preamp, not the speaker, is overdriving from the high output of his bridge humbucker.

OP, turn your guitar's volume knob down. That's how the big boys do it.
:thu:

:mad: he already figured that out STFU AND GTFO:cop:

jk: on the anger part:p

• Members

OP, turn your guitar's volume knob down. That's how the big boys do it.
:thu:

None. I've already admitted that I missed the part about the low volume and the master being on less than 1. I'd bring the master up and lower the preamp volume a little. And yes, I understand that the speaker itself is not causing the overdrive.:facepalm:

• Members

This.

I'd leave V3 alone though. It's the phase inverter
and generally should be left as a 12AX7.

word. I was just saying in a general case that as you move down the line of tube they have less and less affect on your tone. I didn't know how many actual preamp tubes his amp has but i guess i should have said that the last one should be left alone as its the PI.

• Members

To sum up for the OP:

the thing you should take from this thread are:

1. turn down the volume on the guitar. this will be best as it will let you keep you amp the way it is and still get the tones you want from a single coil pickup'd guitar

2. try swapping out the 12ax7 in V1 for a 12at7 if turning down the guitar's volume isn't good for you. If that's too much of a difference, you can put the 12at7 in V2 and leave a 12ax7 in V1 OR, if its not enough of a difference then you could try a 12ay7 or a 12au7 but I'd really just recomend turning down the guitars volume

3. I'd but the speaker comment here if i thought it was right. Your problem is CLEARLY a preamp issue since it only came about since you started using higher output pickups. changing the speaker to a more efficient one would help a bit if poweramp breakup was your problem, but its not. And even if it was it would not be a cost efficient fix at all as the cost of a new speaker would not justify the very small difference it would make. Just turn the guitar's volume down!!!

EDIT:

• Members

this

changing the speaker won't help, the amp is producing the breakup not the speaker...

id go for new tubes

I know that this amp is SUPPOSED to be a tiny little crunch amp, but what does anyone think about replace the 12ax7 preamp tubes with maybe 12au/t/y7?

Archived