Work in progress: Than To Have Never Loved At All

kwakatak

• Members

I've floated this idea a few times over at the Acoustic Forum and even posted clips (so I'll add a link below) but lately things have gone from the back burner to high gear with this song. I got some wonderful feedback in the past and would like some serious input on where this is headed, but the AG has been going through another one of its transitions and drifts OT or focuses mostly on gear. Still, here's the last thread:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1871138

Here's my latest noodling; no set structure yet but all the pieces seem to be there. I'd just like to add lyrics which will also better illustrate the melodies I've been hearing in my head. Please give it a listen; I'd really appreciate some serious advice on how I can best build upon this idea.

http://media.putfile.com/TTHNLAA-08182008

BTW - I've also been trying to tab it out and am feeling even better about how it's coming along. FWIW, I've been using Powertab mainly because it's free and I'm on a tight budget. It works well enough for my purposes here as it's mostly a labor of love at this point.

• Members

I just about swallowed my tongue when I saw this post title -- since within the previous minute, I'd just got done puzzling over how to proceed with the recording of my latest song -- which also uses a reference to the same Tennyson quatrain:

I hold it true, whate'er befall;

I feel it, when I sorrow most;

'Tis better to have loved and lost

Than never to have loved at all.

Ah... it sounds like an instrumental -- and happily quite different than the music for my song (which only includes the Tennyson ref in passing, so not much to worry about there, probably; we'll hardly have been the only people who made reference to that well-worn phrase. ;) )

Anyhow, it's very pretty so far, a nice quiet, reflective mood. I'm looking forward to see how it develops.

• Members

I like that progression a lot. I have a couple similar pieces. I will say that the beauty of that melody can be it's downfall, though. I think you'll need to change the dynamics of it or it will just seem to (pleasantly) keep you in a loop. That alone makes writing lyrics a bit tougher too. Very nice so far, though.

• Members

I just about swallowed my tongue when I saw this post title -- since within the previous minute, I'd
just
got done puzzling over how to proceed with the recording of my latest song -- which
also
uses a reference to the same Tennyson quatrain:

Ah... it sounds like an instrumental -- and happily quite different than the music for my song (which only includes the Tennyson ref in passing, so not much to worry about there, probably; we'll hardly have been the
only
people who made reference to that well-worn phrase.
;)
)

Anyhow, it's very pretty so far, a nice quiet, reflective mood. I'm looking forward to see how it develops.

No, it's not an instrumental, though I've been tabbing it out lately and think that I may stick with an instrumental version. One of my favorite albums from childhood was the Eagles' Hotel California (I've always loved Don Henley's craft with lyrics) and it had two versions of a song entitled "Wasted Time" that were sort of like this. One version was your basic vocal-centered piece and the other was a shortened, instrumental arrangement done solely in strings.

Anyway, while I've been tabbing away in Powertab I've been listening to the MIDI playback and have used voices such as a grand piano, dulcimer and string symphony so as to preserve that oriental them that I mentioned in my other thread.*

I'm still trying my hand at lyrics and trying not to fall back on clich

• Members

Sounds like a great idea. I love the idea of the WWII star crossed romance. I'm really anxious to see what you come up with...

If it makes you feel any better, when I was writing my own 'better to have loved and lost' song, I had to google to remember the source (and refresh myself on the precise quote -- which I diverged from a fair bit) -- and then I had to google again only a week or so later when I saw this post because I'd already forgotten it was Tennyson. :D

BTW, I heard the second little piece just now. Quite nice in a very understated way.

• Members

Alfred Lord Tennyson's In Memoriam: 27, 1850:

I hold it true, whate'er befall;

I feel it, when I sorrow most;

'Tis better to have loved and lost

Than never to have loved at all.

[edit] ok, so b2b already posted this ... ok what am i supposed to be, a mind reader? :)

• Members

ok, so b2b already posted this ... ok what am i supposed to be, a mind reader?
:)

I was wondering where I'd heard that before. :D :D :D

Do you think I read every post in every thread I post in?

Ha!

I'd still be on post one thousand something if I did that... ;)

I'm the opposite of a lurker.

• Members

Nice piece. Hard to tell at this point where it should go - a vocal melody would be a good starting point.

Yeah, I've been working on that. I've even got a preliminary score in PTB format but can't seem to make the MIDI export to MP3. Unfortunately I don't have the budget for more functional software.

Sheesh, I've been at this too long. Time for bed and fresh ears and clearer mind tomorrow. :bor:

• Members

"...fresh ears and a clearer mind..."

Morning seems a better time for writing lyric for me, evening or night is more my music time.

I don't have speakers at work (again) so regret I can't hear what you're working on here right now but will check it out as soon as I get a chance.

I've been listening to a bass-and-drums recording for about a week with lyric writing to do but - pffft.

Seems like it could take forever, and it seems like I just have nothing to say right now or no ability to say it.

The person I am working with has a very underground/metal/punk outlook but a broad background; after going through the pile-o-poems and listening to my recordings she's handed me this new tape of very dreamy, emotional music and I am like, "NOOOoooooo!"

Anyway good to see you and I will find a way to listen to what you are doing.

:wave:

• Members

Thanks, myredshoes!

FWIW I have it all tabbed out in Powertab with a song structure and everything. I'd share it but the lyrics are still under construction and I can only export MIDI from the PTB file. Too bad, I'd love to use it as a BT to record guitar and vocals against.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Update:

In preparation for some upcoming open mics, I've been trying to put the finishing touches on this piece. Problem is that I'm getting so many ideas that the theme for the song has snowballed. So far I've decided on a set song structure but haven't nailed down the lyrics just yet. The melody for the lyrics has changed slightly but IMO the ideas for lyrics are also coming more easily.

Here's a slight improv of the song as it stands as of 9/15/08:

http://media.putfile.com/ThanToHaveNeverLovedAtAll-draft-09152008

Tonight I'm gonna work on lyrics a little more.

Archived