guess I'll have to think up something new

and she's two hours late now I'm worried about her

but I just can't decide what to do

and the sheriff is running the highway

and I'm sick but I'm cold as a stone

so no one says nothing as I scoop up my car keys

that's the trouble with drinking alone

• Members

Man... I've drank alone just a few times in my life at home. But I don't have it as one of my vices. And I don't hardly know my way around a bar. But I've seen it. And I feel it in your lyrics. Mix it with a woman that won't be back and you got me... some combination of my heart, my anger against demons and addictions and a life that allows them to control.

interested in the music that you have in mind.

• Members

Hey, I like it! You don't have to drink alone to HAVE drunk alone. It's one of those rites of passage (but all you whippersnappers do it at home willya!?!)

It's a good story, and I like the catch line a lot. Although it's ready-made for a steel guitar country tune, I'd like to hear it a little more southern-fried, not too bluesy. Just a thought. GL with it, I think it makes a catchy song. Are you going to record it?

And once again, I head to the gulf for disaster assessment, this time to Beaumont, TX. No phone, no lights, no motorcar... not a single luxury. Well, except for the motorcar. and food. and... you get the idea. Cya's.

• Members

This all works pretty good for me, assuming the meter works against the music.

It reads a little long but there's enough detail and nuance, I think, to keep us interested... even as nothing much happens on camera except our hero sinking ever farther into his own drunkenly solipsistic funk. (And I don't mean groove.) Still, we come out at the end with a character study of the guy.

I used to drink with him, I think. Well... along side him. You know, one guy says something deep and solemn the other guy doesn't really pay attention to but nods knowingly, then he says something that goes in one cerebral hemisphere and out the other and before you now it it's ten minutes to two, bartime, and the lights are on and the couple of people left are a whole lot scarier looking than you ever dreamed.

• Members

This all works pretty good for me, assuming the meter works against the music.

It reads a little long but there's enough detail and nuance, I think, to keep us interested... even as nothing much happens on camera except our hero sinking ever farther into his own drunkenly solipsistic funk. (And I don't mean groove.) Still, we come out at the end with a character study of the guy.

I used to drink with him, I think. Well... along side him. You know, one guy says something deep and solemn the other guy doesn't really pay attention to but nods knowingly, then
he
says something that goes in one cerebral hemisphere and out the other and before you now it it's ten minutes to two, bartime, and the lights are on and the couple of people left are a whole lot scarier looking than you ever dreamed.

I think it reads a litttle long because the first verse and chorus was cobbled on hurriedly and after the fact in order to introduce the woman. I started writing with the half-dead camel thing Saturday, then added the "beginning" Sunday night. To me the intro verse doesn't really gel with the rest of the piece yet.

• Moderators

I like it. I like the dusty bottles and the just the few new ones. The neon reflected in her eyes. Only good with my hands and not feet, the sheriff running the highway... I like this. But I don't hear it with steel guitar, I hear it with an out of tune upright piano played softly and sung in almost a whisper. That's what I hear... yep.

Oh, and in 3/4 time. I see our protagonist finally learning to dance in a solo stumble. Holding his glass and slowly spinning to this sad waltz... yep.

• Members

I'm drinking alone at this moment. Is it just words? Or is there a tune? I would like to hear it?

Yeah I sunged it to Kay to torment her some... It's telecaster music to me, not pedal steel and not acoustic. I play a homebuilt strat with a humbucker at the bridge. This has a coil tap so I use that tapped with the treble rolled up for songs like this. I don't use pedals anymore, just a beater 120 watt SS Crate head that really only does clean and dirty. I don't play loud, and I almost never play clean; it's just not my sound. I blame the noises that came out of crappy little radios in the early '70's; gave me a wierd idea of what music is supposed to be. ;)

Archived