Do women react differently to your songs than males?

Chordptrn

• Members

An interesting question.

I've certainly noticed that there are significant demographic patterns... although stereotypes are always a trap: you know, blue collar guys like metal, hip hop, or punk, secretaries like love songs and quiet storm stuff, strippers like hard rock, truck drivers like country, college students m/f like post-rock and indie pop...

... but, really, there are so many exceptions to those 'rules' that they're all but meaningless.

• Members

An interesting question.

... but, really, there are so many exceptions to those 'rules' that they're all but meaningless.

True but I think I need to rephrase. I guess I'm moreso looking for the differrences in feedback (like you give here)to your songs depending on whether it's from a guy or gal.

Not too many gals stray into these forums so it's hard to get a feel...

Do girls tend to compliment you on your smultzy love songs right away, whereas the guys will be like "corny" "cliche", "not enough lead breaks" and technical stuff. And do girls say "Yeah that's okay" to flashy lead breaks whereas guys are like "pump fist in the air".

• Members

Hard to say... I'm a woman so maybe women feel more comfortable telling me how they feel about my lyrics, but it seems like women mostly compliment my lyrics, whereas guys are more likely to go on about the guitar parts or whatever.

I try not to write corny lyrics though. Typical schmaltzy love ballads ain't my thing at all. I will often write about relationships but it's more tough adult stuff than mooshy ballads, and we are a rock band so there's not really anything that sounds like ABBA. :D Although I've written a few things that sound like the Beatles or Byrds.

• Members

Hard to say... I'm a woman so maybe women feel more comfortable telling me how they feel about my lyrics, but it seems like women mostly compliment my lyrics, whereas guys are more likely to go on about the guitar parts or whatever.

I try not to write corny lyrics though. Typical schmaltzy love ballads ain't my thing at all. I will often write about relationships but it's more tough adult stuff than mooshy ballads, and we are a rock band so there's not really anything that sounds like ABBA.
:D
Although I've written a few things that sound like the Beatles or Byrds.

Beatles or the Byrds?

I think you are in high company,

Rock on girl

• Members

What's your take on this?

What kind of songs appeal to the women in your life (met/know). Are love songs for girls and rock songs for guys?

Just in general, because I know there are metal loving girls out there too....

Not really. Although my mom is especially enthusiastic about my stuff. Whose mom isn't? But everybody else is like ... yawn.....white guy with a guitar......

• Members

I dunno..

Once a dear girlfriend of mine was swooning over a song I had written, telling me how the lyrics were perfect and summed up our relationship perfectly.

In hindsight I should never have corrected her and told her the song was written about my dog.

• Members

My wife is always complaining that I need to cut at 1KHz on the guitars to make the vocals stand out more, my kick drum isn't very clear, I should've bought UA610 preamps and better A/D converters.

Oh wait...that was a guy at gearslutz.

• Members

I love my ex-wife but she never much listened to me play and never listened to the tapes I gave her. Nothing personal against me but just not her thing; she is into AC/DC and such-like classic rock things, some Clapton... Still, you know? My children were and are much more interested in my music than her. I think she would have rathered I was really into home remodelling or something besides music. A very good woman, just not like me at all.

Some time after my divorce I called a woman on the phone to see about getting together (again) and I heard myself playing in the background, on her end. And she was playing the bass lines to my music on her bass. And of course we are now engaged to be married. Not because she's into my music (actually our tastes overlap some but differ) but because she cared enough to really listen and participate and she's like that about everything, not just the music.

I am not a public performer and more women have heard my music than men. More children have heard my music than adults. The only difference in reaction I get is that usually women can recognize a love song when they hear one. I believe women are usually more careful lyric listeners. Children like anything that isn't sad or profane, the more physical and danceable the better. Children are most rewarding people to write for. :)

• Members

My wife is always complaining that I need to cut at 1KHz on the guitars to make the vocals stand out more, my kick drum isn't very clear, I should've bought UA610 preamps and better A/D converters.

Oh wait...that was a guy at gearslutz.

Note to self - do not propose to the guy from gearslutz.

• Members

While lots of women groove to my simple jams i feel somewhat embarrased when a guy gushes over my tunes.

dudes buy me beers and throw dollars at me while girls put money in my jar and are seemingly quicker to buy a ceedee.

although at this point both men and women seem to buy my homemade ceedees on an equal basis.

Archived