Anyone use a Boss GT-8 (for FX) with their amp?

messenger

• Members

:mad:I tried a search but it won't work for GT8 So anyone using one just for FX and using their amp tone (OD). I read a few things about ground loop hum on the net and someone said you can get rid of it by cutting some of the ground wires on the cords. I'd like to use the 4cm and the amp channel switcher as well and ditch my pedals. Any input appreciated.

• Members

My luthier has a JCM2000 and a gt8 run in 4cm. he loves it. I was drilling him on it but he says he has had beers spilt on it and everything. even runs his clean sound off the GT8 through the loop and it bypasses his preamp on the jcm. of course he is gassing for a gt10 too

• Members

My housemate has a Boss GT-5 that he runs into a Marshall Valvestate & 4x12. He plays his acoustic guitar much more nowdays, which is why he's content with the GT-5, although I will say the GT-5 is a good piece of kit.

I wouldn't go cutting ground wires though, does not sound safe at all.

• Members

Ground hum. Either use a pedal board with a power conditioner or Ebtech Hum Eliminator - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?src=Ebtech

I have a GT-8 but I use other pedals in my chain. You can use the Full Range amp simulator to make it color your original tone very little. The GT-8 has a lot of good modulation / delay type effects and does dirt and heavy distortion very well if you tweak it. I use some dirt pedals for leads or heavier rhythm tones just because I want to be able to stomp on it right then without having to remember where the patch is.

The GT-8 is VERY tweakable. It has an "assign" function that makes it where you can turn on or off multiple effects at a time so you don't have to do so much pedal dancing; very handy. It would cost you a lot more if you bought all the individual pedals. Go to www.bossgtcentral.com if you want to know more but be warned. Once you get one, you will spend countless hours tweaking because you have so many options. It can be very addicting...lol

• Members

I use mine in my tremoverb's effects loop. It also works as a channel switcher for my amp. It's the best solution I've found for me to do 1 stomp channel/effects switches. No more tap dancing and I was happy with the effects. I'm not a huge effects guy though. I use the 4 cable method so I can use the GT8 preamps and the amp tone as well. I hate the GT8 modeling direct, but it sounds good through the mesa power amp.

I haven't had any problems yet with ground effect noise or loop noise. I haven't gigged this setup in a variety of places as my band ended right when I picked it up.

• Members

a year ago I had been using a GT8 for effects and amp channel changing only.

I was sick of tap dancing....and not being able to switch multiple effects, and channels in time.

Overall, it's great for what it is.....but having the GT8 in your signal chain at all KILLS your tone. You can compensate by tweaking the EQs and things, but then it just sounds artificial. YMMV.

• Members

hey Toshiro what settings are you using on the distortion around 0:40?

Also around 4:45? Sounds good.

I run the Laney pretty flat, bass-6, mid-6, treble-3, presence-9(tighter with this up and treb down), then I use the GT8 to do some EQ tweaking.

Gain and drive are on 6(I think?), and I have a Bloody Murder OD out front with the level on 5 and gain on 2.

The rhythm tone(0:40) has a boost at 100hz and a slight cut at 800hz, and the lead tones(1:30+) just have a boost at 125hz. :) The thing switches seamlessly, no drop out at all that I can tell.

4:45 is the GT8's wah added in, I think the Vox model? That's what I use now at least....

• Members

I run the GT-8 in the loop of my amp only. I used to use the 4CM, but now I use nice stompboxes in front of the amp for fuzz, wah, OD. The GT-8 was giving too much of the "digital fizz trailers" that you might notice from the distortions/ODs while using the 4CM. I also think part of the fizz is from sending the signal such a long distance.

I haven't used the regular amp switching; I use the MIDI amp switching, since my amp supports it. I'm in a cover band, doing 60 songs a night, rapidly. So, I can go to the next patch on the GT-8, it changes my amp's channel, reverb (on/off), volume (one/two). But probably the best part is having all my delays and tremolos, EQs pre-programmed for every song. Up to 128 patches.

The GT-8 also has its own effects loop. I plug an acoustic guitar in the return jack and set up an amp model for it. So that comes in handy.

Learning the Assigns functions is crucial. You can not only switch effects on/off, but also change parameters of effects this way. Or turn them on momentarily. The rocker pedal can be volume, wah, pitchbend or expression.

As mentioned, you can spend a whole lot of time tweaking. But reading guides written by users can help. If you need, I can send you some good material.

I don't know about grounding issues. Never had that come up.

• Members

Overall, it's great for what it is.....but having the GT8 in your signal chain at all KILLS your tone. You can compensate by tweaking the EQs and things, but then it just sounds artificial. YMMV.

+1

I've had a GT-8 for 3 years. Tried the 4CM and didn't like what it did to my tone. It was not transparent at all. The GT-10 isn't much better from my experience (bought one and returned it because, while it is a bit better, it did not improve enough over the GT-8 when I compared them side-by-side).

I later picked up a GSP1101 and used it with a TriAxis. It did not ruin my tone as much as the GT-8 and the models on the GSP1101 seemed a bit better. However, it gave a nasty hum when using 4CM and cutting the ground on the cables did not fix the problem.

Now I use an Axe-Fx without an amp, which is in a completely different category, especially due to the huge price difference.

Overall, however, the GT-8 is a decent piece of equipment for the price.

• Members

I don't notice any difference in tone when I have it hooked up via the 4 cable method or when I have my guitar plugged directly into my amp. It may be loop dependent, but when I'm using my amp only with the GT8 on or off, there isn't a noticable tone suck going on. I've heard others say this, but it's not been my experience with it. I'm using 20 ft cables too.

• Members

to me the GT-8 introduces a "muted" type tone......makes everything dull and 2 dimensional.
:idk:

Are your levels and global settings all set clean? I have the output on the GT8 set pretty low too. The gt8 can be a bitch to set up right, there are so many options and it's not that user freindly.

I noticed tone sucking with my POD set clean, but not the GT-8 and my tremoverb. Some amps may be more prone to this than others. Enough people say it sucks tone, I have no doubt it does in certain situations and with certain amps.

Archived