Rusty Cooley playing fusion

JoshuaLogan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As much as rusty's techinical abilities are amazing , itsjustlike the rest of his stuff . Flashy shred .... At what point did he gel with the original riff .

NO SOUL ... no real feel .... just weedly weedly weedly ....

If he based his lead playing off of the main riff he might of actualy finally used those chops in the right perspective .

I actually bought one of his CD's ... that vid was better than anything on his CD .

No just NO nope no way didnt make it see ya syonara bye bye ....

too bad !!!

FAIL !!!:facepalm::poke:

• Members
Some of it just sounds.... off. But I like it. I'm sure most people here don't considering that's a lot of gain. HCAF hates saturated gain like that. haha

I think the tone would be alright for shreddy stuff but I don't really think it fits what he's doing here. But that's just me :idk:

• Members
I think the tone would be alright for shreddy stuff but I don't really think it fits what he's doing here. But that's just me
:idk:

I think it sounds cool with that style. Kinda that liquid gain sound. I don't know how to put it words correctly but you know what I mean.

• Members

Some of it just sounds.... off. But I like it. I'm sure most people here don't considering that's a lot of gain. HCAF hates saturated gain like that. haha

Alot of his stuff sounds "off" . A friend of my were listening to rusty's stuff togther and he explained his note choices are off . I can understand using off notes for passing tones but too much off notes take you "out of the pocket" . Playing "in the pocket" gives you that sweetness . Too bad he really has amazing technical ability . I've been watching his vids for a while . He is a teacher in Texas and really knows his theory .

Z

• Members

Alot of his stuff sounds "off" . A friend of my were listening to rusty's stuff togther and he explained his note choices are off . I can understand using off notes for passing tones but too much off notes take you "out of the pocket" . Playing "in the pocket" gives you that sweetness . Too bad he really has amazing technical ability . I've been watching his vids for a while . He is a teacher in Texas and really knows his theory .

Z

Yeah I use passing notes too but I stay in key or I play passing notes that sound right. I mean I guess what he is doing is okay to people who are into guitar but the average listener won't think it sounds right.

• Members
I like it a lot better than most of his stuff.

Look, the guy's obviously got just superhuman, ridiculous,
insane
chops, but why is it, even over a slower vamp like this, he insists on showing
all
of them to you before the song is over?! I'd kill to have half his technique, and then be able to spend the other half developing songwriting skills. The guy would absolutely KILL! It just all gets to be a little too... "Look what I can do!" when you're bludgeoned with it over and over again. That kind of technique has always been much more impressive to me when it's doled out in much smaller doses, but that's just M.O.
:o

He actually does have a really sweet vibrato when he wants to, though.
:thu:

Well said, very well said....... He is an insane player but not a great song writer . Thats why I love players like Satriani, they spread out the shredding and hit you with it in smaller doses so it has more impact.

• Members

Z

He's the single most intimidating guitar player I've ever met. I take lessons from him and avoid playing in front of him as much as possible. :lol:

• Members
He's the single most intimidating guitar player I've ever met. I take lessons from him and avoid playing in front of him as much as possible.
:lol:

That's cool.... He came to my town a few times. A guy here I know is friends with him. They did some guitar seminars around here. I mean I was impressed but he's not my favorite.

I love guitar but I'm more into song writing rather than guitar songs or just shredding. I couldn't never listen to a whole cd of rusty cooley doing this. Which is why I haven't gotten into a lot of guitar players like this. Now if he was in a band writing good music and it had cool guitar solos with it I'd enjoy it.

• Members

I watched his old vids yrs ago and the guy freaked me out with his figer streches :freak: i meant he can strech from the 12th to the 20th and do a run cleanly as possible from top to bottom on a 7 stringer . INSANE !! but ... why does most of his stuff sound like a lot bad notes in between all that ?

• Members
I watched his old vids yrs ago and the guy freaked me out with his figer streches
:freak:
i meant he can strech from the 12th to the 20th and do a run cleanly as possible from top to bottom on a 7 stringer . INSANE !! but ... why does most of his stuff sound like a lot bad notes in between all that ?

yeah man, I have long ass finger and he has rather tiny ones and we have about the same stretch... his are usable though. :o

• Members
That's cool.... He came to my town a few times. A guy here I know is friends with him. They did some guitar seminars around here. I mean I was impressed but he's not my favorite.

I love guitar but I'm more into song writing rather than guitar songs or just shredding. I couldn't never listen to a whole cd of rusty cooley doing this. Which is why I haven't gotten into a lot of guitar players like this. Now if he was in a band writing good music and it had cool guitar solos with it I'd enjoy it.

Well I'm into song writing first and foremost as well. I go to him because it's the equivalent of training with a guitar olympian. :p

• Members

This is definitely fusion. Fusion is known as instrumental music with extended track lengths with a ton of improvisation (coming from jazz improv), and the playing itself is very similar to guys like Allan Holdsworth... a player defining the style, in my opinion. Some of you said he's hitting "random notes" or that it "sounds off".... playing chromatics and weaving in and out of scales is very common in fusion and jazz in general... there is a lot of dissonance and angular playing in the style...

Either way, whether you think it's fusion or not (which it is), the point wasn't to argue about genres. The point was it's different from the super speed prog metal he's generally known for. Sure, there are some fast bits, but overall the style is very different, and I think it has a lot of "feel" and "emotion" with good phrasing and nice use of vibrato and the tremelo bar... I think the tone is good too... nice and clear, but still fluid and warm sounding... a nice lead tone. I don't understand how anyone could say that it sucked... but this is HCAF, of course...

• Members

This is definitely fusion. Fusion is known as instrumental music with extended track lengths with a ton of improvisation (coming from jazz improv), and the playing itself is very similar to guys like Allan Holdsworth... a player defining the style, in my opinion. Some of you said he's hitting "random notes" or that it "sounds off".... playing chromatics and weaving in and out of scales is very common in fusion and jazz in general... there is a lot of dissonance and angular playing in the style...

Either way, whether you think it's fusion or not (which it is), the point wasn't to argue about genres. The point was it's different from the super speed prog metal he's generally known for. Sure, there are some fast bits, but overall the style is very different, and I think it has a lot of "feel" and "emotion" with good phrasing and nice use of vibrato and the tremelo bar... I think the tone is good too... nice and clear, but still fluid and warm sounding... a nice lead tone. I don't understand how anyone could say that it sucked... but this is HCAF, of course...

nice definition. BUT this sounds nothing like holdsworth, im not saying one is better or worse but it would be like saying killswitch sounds like metallica, both metal in genre but not even close to sounding the same. just my opinion

peace

A Wood

• Members

nice definition. BUT this sounds nothing like holdsworth, im not saying one is better or worse but it would be like saying killswitch sounds like metallica, both metal in genre but not even close to sounding the same. just my opinion

peace

A Wood

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaLogan

Either way, whether you think it's fusion or not (which it is), the point wasn't to argue about genres. The point was it's different from the super speed prog metal he's generally known for. Sure, there are some fast bits, but overall the style is very different, and I think it has a lot of "feel" and "emotion" with good phrasing and nice use of vibrato and the tremelo bar... I think the tone is good too... nice and clear, but still fluid and warm sounding... a nice lead tone. I don't understand how anyone could say that it sucked... but this is HCAF, of course... (end quote)

....What I meant was at the end like from around 5:00 and on he got back into his usual weedly weedly stuff . Most of the stuff in the clip is awsome .. but lost it in the end .

Well said Mr Wood ... You would know this with your level of playing ... cause YOU ROCK:rawk:!!!!! I've seen your vids .....Just awsome playing ...

PS ..so you got to hang with Ralphie and the boys at NAMM ... Mr. Gainfreak smokes !!!!

• Members

peace

A Wood

I just meant the angular playing style... holdsworth's lead style. Maybe not the backing track and everything about the video, but I see similarities in the style and phrasing here.... in the very least, I think it should be obvious that it's very different from his usual neoclassical prog metal shred fest... I don't see this being all that different from holdsworth or shawn lane (and I love both)... anyone complaining about the speed here would see much of the same speed with those two guys too, and I don't think anyone would argue that they don't play fusion...

And yeah, I suppose the tone here is more modern and more of a shred/metal type of sound with a lot more gain than you'd usually have in this kind of music, but I don't think that changes anything really...

Archived