Multi-fx floor units

Hapless

• Members

Well, after bills and such are paid off, I will have ~$300 of my tax refund to play with. I've been interested in getting an "all-in-one" integrated multi-fx unit, and have been checking out my options. I've checked out the Vox Tonelab LE, Rocktron Utopia, Digitech RP-500.

I like that most of the above options have a "pedalboard" mode which allows you to have multiple presets, but you can switch individual effects off and on within the presets. I would be running this with my JSX, and I would be using it to gig with. I'd like to be able to use it as a decent sounding back-up if my JSX {censored}s the bed during a gig. I would mostly be using it for the effects and not for the amp modeling/cab sim stuff, although that would be important if my amp goes south.

Looking for experiences, recommendations, etc. Thanks.

• Members

I didn't vote because you never had the "none" option.

I've tried a few multi-fx units and found most of them were like eating at a buffet. Lots of choices, all mediocre.

Or like an all in one stereo compared to a component system.

For me, I prefer one or two higher end pedals. Bought used - cuz I'm still a cheap ass.

• Members

I didn't vote because you never had the "none" option.

I've tried a few multi-fx units and found most of them were like eating at a buffet. Lots of choices, all mediocre.

Or like an all in one stereo compared to a component system.

For me, I prefer one or two higher end pedals. Bought used - cuz I'm still a cheap ass.

This. Besides, buying and selling individual pedals is WAY more fun! Oh, using them is more fun, too.

• Members

Get the Vox Tonelab SE, or a TC Electronic G-System.

I local player who has great chops and always gets a really good sound used a G-system when I saw him last.

I sat in on a tune and he took 15 secs to 'splain it to me and I was working it! Sounded pretty good too. Of course I said "set it so I get a short slap back echo and nothing else. Oh, and where's the tuner?". Easy sounds.

Huge mo-fo though.

• Members

G-System is $1500 or so, isn't it?

yeah sounds GORGEOUS, but it has its share of bugs.

again, sounds amaaaaazing tho :love: I dont miss pedals at all, and that unit can do a LOT

i keep mine on the floor but i LOVE how you can split the floorboard and rack brain, connected by a STANDARD CAT5 cable (finally someone was thinking!)

• Members

I've made a mini career lately of playing in host bands at open mics and going to support my friends who are hosting.

With the exception of the TC electronics unit I mentioned above every multi fx unit that some schlub drags up on stage means painful, harsh, ear piercing, bees in a can is coming our way.

I don't know if it's the pedal or the user that's to blame.

• Members

I was pondering this exact same thing. Im going for pedals. I can pick and choose, and I know if it's good or not. Most of that all in one stuff is crap. The tonelab would be what I would get if I wanted cheap and decent. Who knows though, I could change my mind in a few months. However, I picked cakefarts/bugera in this thread.

• Members

In my experience, the units you mentioned do not work very well as effects only devices. although I am not really familiar with the RP500. The Boss GT series works well as an effects only processor (The amp sims and distortion are awful) and a used GT3 or 5 will have more than you will ever need effects wise and they work well in a loop. The POD XT Live which has some good amp sims is also very good in a loop and can still be found new for short money. Used they are a bargain since the X3 came out.

• Members

I used to have the gt-8. You can make it do the effects you want without the cab modeling or amp modeling. But it takes some work to program it all in. You'll have to create presets for each one you want. What effects you want turned on and off at that point so you'll be up all night doing that but once you get it set it's pretty cool. Also the amp models sound cool if you got a practice amp and would like to play in the bedroom. I used to run the gt-8 through a marshall valvestate for practice and I miss having fun with it.

Right now I use a KORG multi fx unit with my 5150. It only cost me about 80 bucks new and has all the fx you'll need. If you just want it for fx.

• Members
I used to have the gt-8. You can make it do the effects you want without the cab modeling or amp modeling. But it takes some work to program it all in. You'll have to create presets for each one you want. What effects you want turned on and off at that point so you'll be up all night doing that but once you get it set it's pretty cool. Also the amp models sound cool if you got a practice amp and would like to play in the bedroom. I used to run the gt-8 through a marshall valvestate for practice and I miss having fun with it.

Right now I use a KORG multi fx unit with my 5150. It only cost me about 80 bucks new and has all the fx you'll need. If you just want it for fx.

:idk:

I don't really recall setting up patches being that time consuming. Or no more time consuming than doing it on any other rig. Once you learn how to create assigns, they take the best part of 2 minutes to set up. I had the FS-6 dual CTL pedal thing to go with it, so I'd basically have 3 CTL pedals and the EXP pedal to work with. Plenty of options, and never seemed to be overly time consuming to me. :idk:

• Members

If you want just effects, get the Line 6 M-13.

The Tonelab sounds great, but as an effects processor, it leaves a lot to be desired as far as convenience and flexibility go. Very limited on what you can have on at the same time.

• Members

I don't really recall setting up patches being that time consuming. Or no more time consuming than doing it on any other rig. Once you learn how to create assigns, they take the best part of 2 minutes to set up. I had the FS-6 dual CTL pedal thing to go with it, so I'd basically have 3 CTL pedals and the EXP pedal to work with. Plenty of options, and never seemed to be overly time consuming to me.

Was for me. First off you get all the effects you want and then you got to tweak all the effects like you want. For example putting the delay where you want it and choosing what kinda delay, same with the chorus, same with the reverb. All the {censored} you want and then tweak and then save. Take all the stuff out you don't want too and adjust the level. I can't do all that in 2 minutes.

Archived