PEAVEY JSX...lets talk about it!

Kyle DiSanto

• Members

Hey Guys,

Ok, so I spend more of my "Forum time" these days over on the Recording forum...so its be a while!

So I am currently amp-less, and probably won't get annother one until around the summer time...so I've been going to the guitar stores here and there and I always end up playing the JSX. I don't know what it is..but I kinda like it lol.

So I figure I'd start this thread just to hear what some people think about it/what their reviews/experience was (not that I need a particular convincing or nething...more so for the good, the BAD and ugly lol).

So there you have it....what do you all think?

Thanks,

KYLE

• Members

I have a love/hate relationship with it. Sometimes It's hot sometimes it's not. Tubes used make a huge difference. I've tried both EL34's and 6L6's and like a little of each but can't make up my mind as to which to use permanently.:confused: I like the Crunch ch. with EL34's and like the Ultra ch. with 6l6's....(sigh):facepalm:

• Members

Mine was an absolute POS. It's one of those amps that sounds great for exactly 3 days longer than the return policy at the music store you bought it at. Then the fizzy, hishy, cocked wah, voicing coupled with a complete and total lack of clarity rear their ugly head and you're screwed.

At this point you explore every option under the sun to make the thing sound better. You boost it, you try NOS preamp tubes, you try different power tubes, You bias it, you fiddle, you tinker, you eventually go insane. At this point, depending on the antidipressant you're on from the stress you sell it at a loss and move on.

Shortly after you find you no longer need the antidepressants and you buy something that's actually got great tone. You're happy and the sun is shining at this point.

Life is good.

• Members

I like it. I'd like to try the 50W version they've got coming out.

Seems like the cab would be especially important for this amp, it has a very distinct voicing and you'd want to match it to a cabinet that you think it gets along with. The active EQ takes getting used to, smaller adjustments have a bigger impact on the sound.

• Members

Here's the thing that finally convinced me to sell mine regardless of what I got out of it. Load up the crunch channel and keep the gain at a manageable level. Now, play a basic Root-5 chord. Listen to the two notes and how they blend. Now, play the arpeggio of the same chord. Listen how the notes just sort of sound like ass. Sounds like cheap {censored} solid state clipping to me. No musicality, no clarity, no tone. Just this {censored} sounding fizz.

If you're playing metal maybe you won't care but for less money you can score a nice used Mesa DC series or a Mark III that'll actually sound good and cover pretty much the same area musically and give you similar features.

• Members

Mine was an absolute POS. It's one of those amps that sounds great for exactly 3 days longer than the return policy at the music store you bought it at. Then the fizzy, hishy, cocked wah, voicing coupled with a complete and total lack of clarity rear their ugly head and you're screwed.

At this point you explore every option under the sun to make the thing sound better. You boost it, you try NOS preamp tubes, you try different power tubes, You bias it, you fiddle, you tinker, you eventually go insane. At this point, depending on the antidipressant you're on from the stress you sell it at a loss and move on.

Shortly after you find you no longer need the antidepressants and you buy something that's actually got great tone. You're happy and the sun is shining at this point.

Life is good.

Either the amp was broken or your ears were. Mine was far from fizzy and had tons of clarity and tone.

If you didn't prefer the tone then fine....which is understandable considering your recommendation. Mesas don't even begin to overlap the same tonal territory as this amp.

That being said, for my tastes I found the JSX a bit too refined and smooth sounding. Still a great amp though and cuts through great in a band situation....I'd have no problem owning one again.

• Members

i had one of the first ones that came out and had a terrible problem with the noise gate not working. after talking with a PEAVEY rep. it turned out this was a common issue with the first series. they wanted me to ship it to them so they could look at it and fix it. this was a 1 day old amp. i said "no thanks" and got a full refund. i'm sure they must have the noise gate problem solved by now because this is going back 3-4 years. so don't let that turn you off.

now, if you are looking for a cab, i have a FRAMUS COBRA 4x12 i can give you a great deal on!;)

• Members

I had one for a while and it wasn't horrible but there was just somrthing in the mids that I couldn't stand. Tried different tubes and still couldn't get rid of it:confused:

I never ventured off the crunch channel because the solo channel was way too compressed and fizzy...the clean was ok but yet a bit sterile

I listened back to some live recordings and it sounded better than what I remembered...go figure:rolleyes:

• Members

I had one for a while and it wasn't horrible but there was just somrthing in the mids that I couldn't stand. Tried different tubes and still couldn't get rid of it:confused:

I never ventured off the crunch channel because the solo channel was way too compressed and fizzy...the clean was ok but yet a bit sterile

I listened back to some live recordings and it sounded better than what I remembered...go figure:rolleyes:

I agree with you. I love to crank my mids and there was something about it that I couldn't stand either

• Members

Um..ya might not wanna crank the presence and resonance..it gets boomy and buzzy quick that way. Everytime I think I want another amp my JSX finds a way to earn it's keep. The only thing I'd trade it in for is a custom shop version with some specs I have planned

what happened to the recto you were all jazed about?

• Members

Here's the thing that finally convinced me to sell mine regardless of what I got out of it. Load up the crunch channel and keep the gain at a manageable level. Now, play a basic Root-5 chord. Listen to the two notes and how they blend. Now, play the arpeggio of the same chord. Listen how the notes just sort of sound like ass. Sounds like cheap {censored} solid state clipping to me. No musicality, no clarity, no tone. Just this {censored} sounding fizz.

If you're playing metal maybe you won't care but for less money you can score a nice used Mesa DC series or a Mark III that'll actually sound good and cover pretty much the same area musically and give you similar features.

I can not relate to this statement in the least.

Heres some clips of mine

http://tindeck.com/listen/eayf

http://tindeck.com/listen/ijtl

http://tindeck.com/listen/nenw

• Members

hmmm so it seems that there's more hate than love for the amp!

I really liked it through a Marshall 1960. I noticed some fizz, but that can be dialed out or moded out with a resistor over the pres or treb knob if need be.

I definitly like EL34 tone, and I suppose I miss that from my Cobra, which I had a love/hate relationship with.

What I like about the amp is the versitility and that mid knob is pretty cool. Being a cobra and mesa owner in the past, I know what its like to have the interactive EQ section over the more passive "marshall" type design that just shelves at the hi, mid and lo freqs.

If I was to buy, I'd want to hear it really loud to get the full effect. Then again, it won't be a good half year till I can afford to spend $ on guitar stuff since its just for fun.

-KYLE D

• Members

I have one and really like it. I had a 5150-III and Marshall JVM in the last year and a half and this amp sounded better at practice than both of those.

That said, I'v had a few issues with mine but nothing major. When I first got the amp, I had it for about 20 seconds and a power tube blew. This amp was produced right around the time that bad batch of JJ tubes came out so it might have had something to do with that. A few weeks ago I had a volume drop issue but I went in and made sure all of the tubes were seated in the sockets and haven't had a problem since.

Peavey is sending me 4 brand new EL-34 tubes for free after hearing what happened. I'm going to spray some contact cleaner in the sockets, put em' in, and bias the amp. I should be good to go. Tube amps have issues and I'v accepted that I guess.

By the way, I play thru a Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 and it sounds outstanding. Down the road I'm going to get some KT-77 tubes for the JSX. I had a Splawn Competition a few years ago and the KT-77s really helped take the high mids out. Killer tube.

• Members

I love the jsx. It's an amazing amp. Some guys don't know how to dial it in. It will do a ton of tones man. To me it's one of the best amps to record with. Like Joe said when they designed it they designed the lead channel to sound like a lead channel that had already been recorded and is coming out of the speakers live. That's exactly what it sounds like to me.

• Members

I can not relate to this statement in the least.

Heres some clips of mine

Those clips sound great. You've got a great ear for production and the amp sounds great...just as I remembered it.

Essentially if you can't get good tones out of the JSX you are doing something very wrong. I think too many people here are expecting the typical Marshall/Mesa sounds and it really doesn't sound like them at all. The mid placement is completely different...which is why some may not like it but those same mids make the amp cut through very well in a full band context.

• Members

Those clips sound great. You've got a great ear for production and the amp sounds great...just as I remembered it.

Essentially if you can't get good tones out of the JSX you are doing something very wrong. I think too many people here are expecting the typical Marshall/Mesa sounds and it really doesn't sound like them at all. The mid placement is completely different...which is why some may not like it but those same mids make the amp cut through very well in a full band context.

Yeah I agree. People are doing it wrong. The JSX is a very fine amp. The only reason I prefer the 6505 in a band situation is because the JSX doesn't have the drive the 6505 does. The 6505 sounds better up loud.

I love the jsx though. I don't see how people don't like it. I mean they worked hard on this thing. It's near perfect for what it's meant to do.

Archived