what amp does this

Alchemist

• Members

Soldano SLO, while voiced way deferent, is the closest thing for feel to a Cornford that i've played.

so guess looking at the deferent Soldano's is a good idea?

lots of soldanos in town that I can try.....

I dont need two channels... I will look at the hot rod 50 and the avenger next chance I get

• Members
i found on my mesa that you can definitely get what you're looking for if you drop the bass-- i keep mine at around 3 (no numbers for you... but lower, for sure!), put the treble up around 6ish, mids where you like 'em.. but i run the pre at around 5ish, and really sock it to the output stage... but i have half as many watts! the key definitely seems to be in running the bass lower when it gets louder, or the same thing happens to me.

i dunno.. worth a crack.. i had my mesas for 15 years before i ever even TRIED that... i just figured 'it's the clean channel... why would i overdrive it?'... duh...
:lol:

for {censored}s and grins-- seriously, try reversing the master and gain settings (i.e. run the back end really hot with low pre gain and balance it for the best mix of output and volume... my amp works WAAY better with the master very hot, the front end not as..)

I'll give that a try this weekend when I have the house to myself.... either way, I am not getting rid of the F-30 (unless a great deal comes up), I'm likely just adding another amp

• Members
i found on my mesa that you can definitely get what you're looking for if you drop the bass-- i keep mine at around 3 (no numbers for you... but lower, for sure!), put the treble up around 6ish, mids where you like 'em.. but i run the pre at around 5ish, and really sock it to the output stage... but i have half as many watts! the key definitely seems to be in running the bass lower when it gets louder, or the same thing happens to me.

i dunno.. worth a crack.. i had my mesas for 15 years before i ever even TRIED that... i just figured 'it's the clean channel... why would i overdrive it?'... duh...
:lol:

for {censored}s and grins-- seriously, try reversing the master and gain settings (i.e. run the back end really hot with low pre gain and balance it for the best mix of output and volume... my amp works WAAY better with the master very hot, the front end not as..)

I think your right. Judging from his settings, his OT stage isn't working near hard enuff. Too much gain - too little OT can make things fizzy and less than desirable sounding on most any tube amp. Then again a lot of metal types seem to like that kind of sound.

• Members
I think your right. Judging from his settings, his OT stage isn't working near hard enuff. Too much gain - too little OT can make things fizzy and less than desirable sounding on most any tube amp. Then again a lot of metal types seem to like that kind of sound.

thats the settings I use for practice.... at that setting my walls rattle... I keep the gain at 5 because I like to roll off the volume to clean up, less gain and its no longer as fluid, its a finecky amp to dial in.... its just the way this amp and a lot of mesas are designed though, at least in my experience....

its great for certain styles, but not for others... really nice for fusion stuff where you want that thick almost sax like lead, but can be a bit too thick for faster more fluid transitions where you want the notes to stand on their own without background hiss...

judging by my gear I dont really think I fit your " alot of metal types " statement..... but sure :idk:

Archived