How can i discharge this?

Peaveyherman

• Members
:rolleyes:
Its very common to discharge filter caps with an insulated screwdriver. I didnt just make the idea up. :poke:
:idea:

Common for some who have experience with these things and don't give a {censored} if they ventilate any caps, but it's not sound advice to give someone inexperienced. "Sure, buddy, just poke around in there with a screwdriver!" :rolleyes:

• Members

Common for some who have experience with these things and don't give a {censored} if they ventilate any caps, but it's not sound advice to give someone inexperienced. "Sure, buddy, just poke around in there with a screwdriver!"
:rolleyes:

That's really just bad advice, experienced or not. A wire wound 10 watt resistor across both poles of the cap bank will get it all. No need to pick out tube terminals or take a chance of any leftover voltage. I kinda like the looks of that cap box Katillac referenced. That would be handy for lots of things, computer monitors or any large cap charge. When I was working telecommunication centers, we had caps larger than beer cans in banks, and I saw a dumbass totally blow off the end of a large screwdriver discharging them before working on trunk circuits.

edit: I guess you referenced that, duh.

• Members

I don't know if it could be this simple, but an article in the new Guitar Player, in the fix-it column, (i don't remember the name), said to take an aligator clip to pin 1 of a preamp tube and attach to ground for a few minutes.

Sounds almost too easy. Maybe it was for that particular amp?

Edit: It did say to uplug the power cord, and "ground" being the amp chassis.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Ok,so i opened this thing up today.I tried to discharge it via the screw driver method.Nothing happened. :idk:
Anyway,I noticed one of the internal fuses was blown,so i replaced it.
As i was testing it,i i notice something smelled "hot".I looked at the tubes to find 2 of them glowing super red hot(circled in red)After that,the fuse blew again and the sound went really low,almost to zero and was super distorted.Any ideas?
speakers009-1.jpg
567-1.jpg
Gut whore shot...
571.jpg

Archived