How can i discharge this?

Peaveyherman

• Members

Kill all power to the amp. Remove the tubes

Take a 1k or 2K ohm 5W or so resistor from ground to the big filter cap terminals or trace the Plate side (B+) of the output tubes.

You can make this with a couple alligator clips and some wire.

CLIP>Resistor> wire to ground (chassis) >CLIP

You can also buy insulated gloves at home improvement stores than can reduce the shock potential. Or if you want additional safety.

Leave the resistor clipped to the B+ sources for a min or more. Take a Multimeter and measure the DC voltage on the pins. When the voltage is very low (4-5v) or at best, Zero, should be safe.

• Members
Kill all power to the amp. Remove the tubes

Take a 1k or 2K ohm 5W or so resistor from ground to the big filter cap terminals or trace the Plate side (B+) of the output tubes.

You can make this with a couple alligator clips and some wire.

CLIP>Resistor> wire to ground (chassis) >CLIP

You can also buy insulated gloves at home improvement stores than can reduce the shock potential. Or if you want additional safety.

Leave the resistor clipped to the B+ sources for a min or more. Take a Multimeter and measure the DC voltage on the pins. When the voltage is very low (4-5v) or at best, Zero, should be safe.

finally a good suggestion that doesnt result in a massive instant discharge or death. :thu:

• Members

If you plan to ever do this more than once or twice, I think you'd be better off putting together a capacitor discharge box like those discussed in this thread. There also is the "resistor method" which uses a sand block resistor, but in my opinion, a discharge box is the best way in the long run if you're ever going to discharge other caps.

Archived