Christ rectos are scooped sounding!

AgentOrange

• Members

One of the guitarists in my band bought around my old Rectoverb combo to jam with today, and {censored} me was it scooped. Maybe its becuase im used to playing my DSL since my diezels not working so well, but even with the mids cranked it just got pissed all over by the marshall. I thought it was tight and sounded good, but with another amp, especially a marshall, you just couldnt hear the thing when we were playing together unless it what a lot louder.

James

• Members

One of the guitarists in my band bought around my old Rectoverb combo to jam with today, and {censored} me was it scooped. Maybe its becuase im used to playing my DSL since my diezels not working so well, but even with the mids cranked it just got pissed all over by the marshall. I thought it was tight and sounded good, but with another amp, especially a marshall, you just couldnt hear the thing when we were playing together unless it what a lot louder.

James

yeah, not news to me, thats why I play a Marshall style amp now

for the record I DID own a 2 channel recto, sold it 3 years ago

• Members

James

I went from my dual rec to various other amps. Currently I'm playing an Orange Rockerverb which has a voicing that's sort of in between a Marshall and a Recto. It's got the chewy mids but it's got lots of thickness and girth. IMO, running a marshall and a Recto in stereo sounds great.

• Members

James

Yeah, playing a Marshall will do that to ya.

I could never seriously play a recto, the frequencies just aren't there without a lot of tweaking that shouldn't be necessary to make it sound good.

I like rectos for recording. But I wouldn't bother with them live.

• Members

-dares TU BE to spend some time with a good Marshall-

Spent PLENTY of time with good Marshalls. clay_finley on here has old school Marshalls out the ass. I've spent plenty of time playing through them. Love 'em!

I just think this "all Rectos sound scooped" thing is bologna.

Does mine have the same midrange voicing as a Marshall? No. Would a Marshall bury me in a band mix? I think not.

• Members

IMO, running a marshall and a Recto in stereo sounds great.

Absolutely it does. We always used to get compliments on our mix from people when i had that Rectoverb and my other guitarists boosted 2203. That said, the other thing they would always mention was that no one could hear me! The mix sounded good, because we were filling different parts of the spectrum, but any lead parts just got lost.

James

• Members

Spent PLENTY of time with good Marshalls. clay_finley on here has old school Marshalls out the ass. I've spent plenty of time playing through them. Love 'em!

I just think this "all Rectos sound scooped" thing is bologna.

Does mine have the same midrange voicing as a Marshall? No. Would a Marshall bury me in a band mix? I think not.

Thing is, this amp used to be mine, and when i plugged into it, i thought it sounded {censored}ing awesome, but the moment we tried to jam together, it just wouldnt sit right. The midrange dial is just in a really odd place in the spectrum compared to the marshall. I loved it, dont get me wrong, but i was instantly reminded of what made me get rid of it.

James

• Members

It was made in '94 so probably not. I don't have it here to look at the number it's at our practice spot.

Ah, the only reason I ask is because the first 600 or so had the OT from the Mark series. After that they changed to a recto specific OT.

• Members

Thing is, this amp used to be mine, and when i plugged into it, i thought it sounded {censored}ing awesome, but the moment we tried to jam together, it just wouldnt sit right. The midrange dial is just in a really odd place in the spectrum compared to the marshall. I loved it, dont get me wrong, but i was instantly reminded of what made me get rid of it.

James

They're not for everybody. I would love a Marshall to run in stereo for MY rig to be honest. Or maybe a 5150. :cop:

• Members

A Marshall with a typical G12T75 cab plus a Recto with a v30 cab should be total win as far as mix goes...but I can only imagine the holy sucking vacuum there'd be if you played a Recto with G12T75s....I hate that speaker.

Archived