Small Tube Amp Advice Needed

slodge

• Members

I hope to be in the market for a small tube amp in the not too distant future, and am looking to educate myself.

Currently, I'm playing through a mid 80's Yorkville Bloc50GS, using a digitech RP300 as an amp modeler. I also use a Microcube sometimes, and I have a Fender Gdec that's essentially a fun toy.

The Yorkville gives me a decent clean tone, and the OD channel isn't horrible if used sparingly. I also have several OD pedals, including the Bad Monkey and the Blues Driver.

On the modelers, I spend most of my time on "Tweed-like" settings, "Brit/Vox" settings and "Crunch," and these are the types of tones I'm looking for in an amp.

What I'm looking for is a tube amp that'll give me good tone in the bedroom without shaking the house apart, and that can also be taken to a buddy's garage/basement on occasion.

I'm looking to put together a list of amps to start trying - Right now the list consists of the Peavey Valve King and Windsor, The Fender Blues Jr. and the less expensive Epiphones.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Members
I hope to be in the market for a small tube amp in the not too distant future, and am looking to educate myself.

Currently, I'm playing through a mid 80's Yorkville Bloc50GS, using a digitech RP300 as an amp modeler. I also use a Microcube sometimes, and I have a Fender Gdec that's essentially a fun toy.

The Yorkville gives me a decent clean tone, and the OD channel isn't horrible if used sparingly. I also have several OD pedals, including the Bad Monkey and the Blues Driver.

On the modelers, I spend most of my time on "Tweed-like" settings, "Brit/Vox" settings and "Crunch," and these are the types of tones I'm looking for in an amp.

What I'm looking for is a tube amp that'll give me good tone in the bedroom without shaking the house apart, and that can also be taken to a buddy's garage/basement on occasion.

I'm looking to put together a list of amps to start trying - Right now the list consists of the Peavey Valve King and Windsor, The Fender Blues Jr. and the less expensive Epiphones.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully you are referring to the Windsor Studio, not the 100 watt version. 10-20 watts is plenty for your situation and there are just hordes of decent to great possibilities in that area.

• Members

dl50watt.jpg

- 2 channels, switchable between 50 and 10 watts, great crunch tone- the combos are a bit big though so go with a head and a smaller 1X12 like I do. Best of all, you can find them all day around $500 for the head.

If you want something even simpler, I have a soldano astroverb I really like- 1 channel only, great crunchy tones- clean can be done if you adjust the preamp and vol on your guit but don't expect to be getting pristine cleans- prolly run you about $800 - at lower vol, they sound a bit thin but they cook really nicely when you turn the vol up and sound great with a band.

• Members

Egnater makes that 20 watt Rebel head too. That and the Orange Tiny terror would be two amps I'd check out.

I also tend to think I'm looking for a combo rather than a head/cab. But that could just be my ignorance showing.

Archived