Beginner metal songs?

AgentOrange

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

is probably the easiest metal song I can think of.
is a pretty easy one with a slower tempo, even the solo is pretty simple. Killswitch Engage's album "The End of Heartache" is also full of easy songs, at least for riffing.

Breaking The Law is a good suggestion. I'll add Living After Midnight and Heading Out To The Highway.

• Members

Actually, I can name you plenty of other guitarists that have difficult phrasing to master.

Go ahead, record yourself playing Symphony of Destruction and show us how perfect your phrasing is and how easy it is, so that I can laugh at you for talking like you're hot {censored}.

Again, no one is saying it's an exotic solo. It's an extremely well written solo that fits the song really good.

What Thinkpad and I are saying, is that Marty's phrasing is not something a beginner or even an intermediate player can easily pick up, {censored}bag.

AND IF YOU'VE BEEN PAYING ANY ATTENTION YOU'D REALIZE THAT I AGREE WITH YOU, {censored}BAG.

I didn't say any newb could learn it. I just said it's simple. Just because I didn't make it all politically correct for you doesn't mean that I necessarily disagree with you. And I'm not going to apologize for calling it simple just because you have a personality defect and are hypersensitive to all things Marty. ITS A {censored}ING SIMPLE SOLO FROM A TECHNICAL STANDPOINT. I ALREADY SAID THIS, ITS TRUE, CRY MOAR. ITS NOT SOME UP AND DOWN THE NECK EPIC EXPLORATION OF SOUND THAT SHOULD INSPIRE FEAR.

Simple doesnt necessarily mean it's automatically easy to do. Power chords are simple but it takes time and practice to do them well. Same goes for anything to do with the guitar. In the grand scheme of things, taking into consideration theory and all the different techniques a person could use to create a solo, the solo to Symphony of Destruction is not complex.

There's a lot of blues legends out there who have taken simple licks and turned them into something magical. And yet, you and I would easily agree that those licks are simple at their core. Minor Pentatonic. Beginner {censored}, right? Their simplicity doesn't account for the human element, the soul, the mojo, the whatever the {censored} you want to call it.

All of this is completely ignoring the fact THAT THE OP ASKED FOR EASY METAL SONGS TO RIFF.

READ THAT AGAIN YOU {censored}ING ILLITERATE MONGOLOID

EASY

SONGS

TO

RIFF

• Members

Lolling hard at the butthurt in this thread. :lol:

For the record: The tracks I posted I was thinking for the 1st year of playing and I couldn't think of anything easier. I wasn't expecting the kid to be able to play all parts flawlessly, just to be learning the simple rhythms and simple lead parts. I agree MOP would be the hardest and I wasn't thinking for him to play it at full speed or for the first piece. :facepalm:

Seriously, I'm confident I could teach a total beginner to play the main riff for Symptom of the Universe fairly nicely within a couple of weeks. Which would be a good start to develop solid chugging.

I've never had lessons but one of my bro's did. He got taught by a high level metal shredder. The teacher plunged him straight into learning Guns, Tallica , satch, etc. And he could pretty much nail everything I posted after a year and it's not like he's some guitar whizz or anything.

The OP is a competent metal based player. A good teacher and practice can go a long way.

• Members
Lolling hard at the butthurt in this thread.
:lol:

For the record: The tracks I posted I was thinking for the 1st year of playing and I couldn't think of anything easier. I wasn't expecting the kid to be able to play all parts flawlessly, just to be learning the simple rhythms and simple lead parts. I agree MOP would be the hardest and I wasn't thinking for him to play it at full speed or for the first piece.
:facepalm:

Seriously, I'm confident I could teach a total beginner to play the main riff for Symptom of the Universe fairly nicely within a couple of weeks. Which would be a good start to develop solid chugging.

I've never had lessons but one of my bro's did. He got taught by a high level metal shredder. The teacher plunged him straight into learning Guns, Tallica , satch, etc. And he could pretty much nail everything I posted after a year and it's not like he's some guitar whizz or anything.

The OP is a competent metal based player. A good teacher and practice can go a long way.

Wow glad to see someone gets it. Some of these guys act like should you even attempt to play something and not hit every note perfectly that you are somehow not worthy of it. Thats why shredding is boring. It's all a pissing contest to see who can get the Guitar Hero high score.

• Members

I'm going to stick my dick into an oven because it will hurt less than reading your posts.

I've never seen anyone go from one completely retarded argument to another irrelevant one.

I'm still waiting for your simple video on how to play the solo.

Just wondering, how are you defining the word simple? Because Marty uses very complicated theory in his writing.

• Members

Wow glad to see someone gets it. Some of these guys act like should you even attempt to play something and not hit every note perfectly that you are somehow not worthy of it. Thats why shredding is boring. It's all a pissing contest to see who can get the Guitar Hero high score.

Wow, way to go quoting and affirming a post that has ZERO to do with anything you said you putrid {censored} bag.

Yeah, Megadeth Man is right.

He's also making ZERO REFERENCE to a {censored}ing guitar solo.

It's not about shredding it's about phrasing.

Enjoy your AIDS.

• Members

man, i know exactly what you're dealing with, OP... i have some students who are like that, too. total noobs who can't even strum but want to be able to nail all those crazy ass, super fast, mega technical riffs and solos. i've tried giving them exactly what they want (i.e. showing them how to play these tunes that are WAY beyond their grasp) and it never really amounts to much.

anybody who says this n00b should try master of puppets and stuff is retarded. that song is fast as {censored}. i would bet my balls that nobody here could tell you that was the first song they learned and played along with... i would reccomend everyone that said he should try that do this: flip your guitar over to your other leg and try to play that {censored} with your normal fretting hand doing the picking. still easy?

i like to kind of turn it into a history lesson of sorts. tell them that in order to learn about today's metal styles, it helps to learn from the guys who influenced them. Take them back to the source, BLACK SABBATH, and tell him how Iommi pretty much invented the metal guitar style. Demonstrate his work with single note riffs (especially Electric Funeral, maybe Iron Man) and power chords (Paranoid FTW). Heck, you could maybe even throw in some stuff about how he used the flatted fifth (the devil's interval) to craft supremely evil riffage. that a start!

Judas Priest has some pretty influential stuff, too, so bust out some Breakin the Law. thats a good one! intro to The Trooper isn't bad for working on those pull offs.

from there move on to the bands that influenced a lot of todays bands, like Metallica. What people have to know is that almost all metal bands try to copy the riffing style of bands of yesteryear, especially Sabbath and Metallica. Show him some For Whom the Bell Tolls, that one is pretty easy. try to intro bit to One for some simple chord playing, and maybe even that first solo (this song is long as balls and hardly anyone wants to learn the entire thing... he'll probably just be happy knowing the intro). Some Enter Sandman is a little harder than the rest, but if he's showing enthusiasm and seems dedicated, throw that at him, too! Don't Tread on Me isn't bad, either, as is That Was Just Your Life.

And to branch out from just Metallica, kick him some Symphony of Destruction, thats a good one. Maybe even the chord intro to Hangar 18. A lot of young metal players excel only at single note riffing and can barely chord to save their lives! Its good to sneak them in this way.

if you're wanting to move onto some of the newer stuff from there, start with Omerta by Lamb of God. Thats a good intro to drop D, which is good as so many newer metal bands use drop tunings. Throw him some Mastodon (Wolf is Loose and Blood Thunder can both be played in drop D, aren't too hard, and sound {censored}ing badass) while you're at it. if he likes gay stuff like avenged 7 fold, show him Scream or Beast and the Harlot. Again, a little more challenging.

i hope that helps! I see n00bs struggle with trying the rock out every day, and these are just things that i would do to help.

• Members
i would reccomend everyone that said he should try that do this: flip your guitar over to your other leg and try to play that {censored} with your normal fretting hand doing the picking. still easy?

It would be quite funny to have a total beginners thread where we restring an axe in reverse then all try and learn the same riff and post clips of our progress and {censored}. :lol:

• Members

i never got into the all down picking thing myself. the other guitar player in my band was one of those strict downpickers and it caused alot of problems cause he just couldnt play certain parts the right way.

You gotta have both I say. If you can't play a certain part the right way with down-picking, you gotta adapt your technique, be able to do alt picking etc. Then again, if you can't down-pick fast enough, you're not going to be able to play other parts the right way.

• Members

It would be quite funny to have a total beginners thread where we restring an axe in reverse then all try and learn the same riff and post clips of our progress and {censored}.
:lol:

I've tried it once or twice... instant self-:facepalm::lol:

One thing that is super fun though is shredding right-handed on a left-strung axe (or vice versa if you're a lefty). You come up with some of the most bizarre wacky {censored} that you'd just NEVER get playing on a right-handed axe. One of these days I'm going to record a solo to a death metal song using that technique, and everyone who listens will just be like :o

• Members

Thats the problem, hes told me loads, but hes really into his technical metal, which is so far beyond anything he can do right now, which is why hes gotten frustrated i the past.

I think the best approach is to get some "at least it's metal" material that is approachable. This is about the best you can do. That'll get you in the ball park enough that if the kid's motivated he'll get into it (maybe he'll learn to appreciate something else, too). Trying to teach him stuff that is way over his head or that would require many advanced techniques (which are built upon basic techniques he has not mastered yet) would be a disservice to him as a student.

For example, Here's the first song I learned and I think it's a fantastic example of a song that is powerful but so straightforward someone can learn it with almost no base skill set:

Living after Midnight.

To that end, I'd focus on Early Priest, Sabbath, and AC/DC. The panties start to drop when you bust out "You Shook Me All Night Long" like a champ. What kid isn't going to dig that?

So, he's just going to have to be happy he's learning some rocking guitar and moving toward the skill set that will let him play the sub-style he wants to play someday.

It's like a chubby white kid going to basketball camp and wanting to learn "monster dunking" on the first day. There are simply too many other things to work on and its probably even dangerous to try at this point (for the hoops player broken legs or an injury, in the case of guitar you'll ingrain a bunch of crappy, sloppy habits, for example, playing stuff that is WAY too far ahead). Welcome to reality, son, I'll be your instructor.

Really, only the dedicated EVER learn to do it, so you might as well understand right up front that you need to bring some self-discipline to the table. When you listen to pros play mind-bending technical metal guitar really well you are listening to people who have built up years of expertise doing things most people cannot and never will do, even if they've tried to learn, just like when you are watching NBA players dunk. So, you need to bring your workout mind-set.

• Members

I never really thought about this but it must be a bitch to be inspired to play guitar by REALLY technical metal. The first song I learned to play was "Plush" by STP. Imagine if it was "Technical Difficulties?" Not that I can play that even now. I'm glad that I gradually got into more technical metal!

Archived