Maple fret boards

Okieslims

• Members

There is Maple board acoustics floating around, some manufacureres still make them.. I think Ibanez does still..

In my adventures experiments in lutherie would suggest, that perhaps a maple board would be best suited for a big dread body as rosewood is a bit more porus and oily and it 'seems' to suck up some of the highs, while maple 'seems' to exaggerate the highs.. but this is mostly subjective.

I tend to think the biggest reason is simple asthetics.. the rosewood board makes for some nice color contrast, like pin stripe on a sports car, while the maple just doesn't have that 'look' to it.

Just my thoughts..

• Members

There is Maple board acoustics floating around, some manufacureres still make them.. I think Ibanez does still..

In my adventures experiments in lutherie would suggest, that perhaps a maple board would be best suited for a big dread body as rosewood is a bit more porus and oily and it 'seems' to suck up some of the highs, while maple 'seems' to exaggerate the highs.. but this is mostly subjective.

I tend to think the biggest reason is simple asthetics.. the rosewood board makes for some nice color contrast, like pin stripe on a sports car, while the maple just doesn't have that 'look' to it.

Just my thoughts..

There's no question in my mind that a maple neck creates a different sound on a solid body single coil like a Strat. When I was looking for a Strat about 12 years ago I played, conservatively, at least 60 Strats and Strat clones and, to my way of thinking -- and playing -- there's no question a real difference. The maple necks tend to have a harder, more defined tone, brighter, if you will, but with a little more string snap resonance (not like body resonance with a deep tone, but that hard, fast vibration resonance from the string vibrating against the fret and wood).

Now, whether that comes from the fact that the neck and fretboard are one piece or that the maple is so much harder than ebony, etc, is a good question. I suspect it's both in the case of Strats.

• Members

Now, whether that comes from the fact that the neck and fretboard are one piece or that the maple is so much harder than ebony, etc, is a good question. I suspect it's both in the case of Strats.

I don't think maple is harder than ebony, and I don't think strats have ebony boards...

• Members

There's no question in my mind that a maple neck creates a different sound on a solid body single coil like a Strat. When I was looking for a Strat about 12 years ago I played, conservatively, at least 60 Strats and Strat clones and, to my way of thinking -- and playing -- there's no question a real difference. The maple necks tend to have a harder, more defined tone, brighter, if you will, but with a little more string snap resonance (not like body resonance with a deep tone, but that hard, fast vibration resonance from the string vibrating against the fret and wood).

What did you end up choosing?

• Members
For the record, ebony is harder than rosewood is harder than hard maple. And Fender does make an ebony fretboard, but I think their "dark" fretboards are usually rosewood.

My bad, I slipped up -- I'm pretty darn sure you're right about the rosewood fretboards and I suspect you're right about the hardness (if only because you seem sure of yourself and I'm not a guitar hardware guy) -- but that's not my impression of the relative feel of the rosewood boards vis a vis the highly polished solid maple fretboard/necks.

• Members

My bad, I slipped up -- I'm pretty darn sure you're right about the rosewood fretboards and I suspect you're right about the hardness (if only because you seem sure of yourself and I'm not a guitar hardware guy) -- but that's not
my impression
of the relative feel of the rosewood boards vis a vis the highly polished solid maple fretboard/necks.

Hmmm... I own 2 BJ's and they both are a delight at low volumnes and the verb sounds great.. thats why I got them..

I have two ol vintage twins (that rarely come out from under the tarp these days, they basically sit there rotting), two Hot Rod Devilles and two Blues Jrs as they all sound and respond fairly similar in their respective rooms.. in other words I can play out doors at the beach with the Twins, and they are perfect for it.. I can play stage and large shows with the HRD's and they are perfect, and I can take the BJ's into your average home pub/bar situation and they are perfect.. each in their enviornment are very reminiscent of the other .. if that makes any sense..

----

My BJ's are newer green boards.. I know they used to have issues with the older runs but either they fixed it or I got the only two in existence randomly that work perfect for me..

But where Fender REALLY screwed the pooch is last year when they (with a smile on their face) said the economy dictated they were raising their prices across the board on everything from the accesories to the amps anb guitars a solid 20%.

Last year at this time you could get a Blues Jr for less than 500, now they are at 700, you could get a HRD for 700, now they are 1000..

needless to say the economy tanked and Fender is now sitting around scratching their heads wondering why their sales are at an all time comparative low..

Part of the reason I reckon is guys like me who used to recommend the amps like the BJ's and HRD's as the best priced amp in their class, now can no longer do that.. as our friends on a budget can get almost as good for much less money, and our friends who can afford it can get much better for the same money..

Ya.. long time Fender fanatic here.. I have seen them up and down.. at the m oment they are down and I feel inclined to kick them hard while they are there.

• Members

Yeah, my Blues, Jr is one of the very first. I'd really like it pretty well if it weren't so damn noisy. Also it's developed some hinkiness solvable by the occasional cab-slap -- but that probably just means the tubes they stuck in it need replacing.

The Strat tour back then was really depressing.

I found myself thinking, Man, if Fender would just hire Carvin to build their guitars for them... the difference in quality of build was just sinful. That said, Carvin's Strat-like solid body was just not there for me. The classic Strat design(s) are so close to perfection from my point of view.

That said, lately I've been listening to a lot of Jayhawks and sometimes they really get those SG's working pretty nicely. Never been partial to 'buckers (I have a Gibson 325 with mini-Humbuckers) but I'm starting to warm up to that SG thing a little.

• Members

I really want a Jayhawk.. you can get them used for pretty cheap. The SG's are tone dynamos too. I think Fank Zappa is in the top 5 or so when it comes to the greatest tone ever.. and he used an SG.

I picked up a mexican Tele last year. One of the ash ones. The quality was much higher than I have experienced in previous year. I think that makes the price hike worth it.. at least on the low end of their product line. I paid 450.00, then got a plek job, bone nut, and a set of 51 nocasters chucked in. 750 invested and I am really happy with it though I may decide to add an extra tone control so I can get this tone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgZFWCZLMJM from about the 1 minute mark he demos the flat front pickup mixed with the toned up bridge

Yeah, my Blues, Jr is one of the very first. I'd really like it pretty well if it weren't so damn noisy. Also it's developed some hinkiness solvable by the occasional cab-slap -- but that probably just means the tubes they stuck in it need replacing.

The Strat tour back then was
really depressing.

I found myself thinking,
Man
if Fender would just hire Carvin to build their guitars for them...
the difference in quality of build was just sinful. That said, Carvin's Strat-like solid body was just
not there
for me. The classic Strat
design
(s) are so close to perfection from my point of view.

That said, lately I've been listening to a lot of Jayhawks and sometimes they really get those SG's working pretty nicely. Never been partial to 'buckers (I have a Gibson 325 with mini-Humbuckers) but I'm starting to warm up to that SG thing a little.

• Members

The Strat tour back then was
really depressing.

I found myself thinking,
Man
if Fender would just hire Carvin to build their guitars for them...
the difference in quality of build was just sinful. That said, Carvin's Strat-like solid body was just
not there
for me. The classic Strat
design
(s) are so close to perfection from my point of view.

Well, you can go with the common setup I employ on most all of my Strats anymore..

I love the strat.. the look, the feel and the tonal possibilitys from them, but I also like medum output hummers in them, but I HATE the look of full size hummers, and they don't sound right anwyas. So I use stacked hummers in the single coil package in the nexk and bridge positions, and a nice medium output single in the middle.

Tap the coils and you have pretty much the best of both worlds.. you can even put the taps on pull pots and never even have to deface your vintage pickguard with another hole for a switch..

The sound of the single sized hummers in the neck position is to die for.. from Jazz to all out ballsy bottom line blues. The single sized hummers in the bridge give you enough ooompfh to drive your distortion if you like, and yet due to it's single size and placement it still retains a lot of the single vibe with none of the hum or excessive highs, but all the power you need to toss the gain stage into overdrive.

Then the middle pup speaks for it's self.. all single, pure strat.. mixed with the doubles it is very close to strat yet the tone is less harsh, and in the middle it is pure strat and all of it's twangy glory..

I can testify many many many many many strats later, this is a great configuration and perfect for covering most everything in one guitar.

It won't give you the SG 'snap' of the shorter scale. but if your used to the strat anyways you wont mind much..

• Members

I really want a Jayhawk.. you can get them used for pretty cheap. The SG's are tone dynamos too. I think Fank Zappa is in the top 5 or so when it comes to the greatest tone ever.. and he used an SG.

I picked up a mexican Tele last year. One of the ash ones. The quality was much higher than I have experienced in previous year. I think that makes the price hike worth it.. at least on the low end of their product line. I paid 450.00, then got a plek job, bone nut, and a set of 51 nocasters chucked in. 750 invested and I am really happy with it though I may decide to add an extra tone control so I can get this tone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgZFWCZLMJM
from about the 1 minute mark he demos the flat front pickup mixed with the toned up bridge

Wow, it's only been a few years (OK a decade or so :D ) since you could pick up a Mexican tele for under $200. I guess times have changed. One of my pals (who used to work QC at Fender, in fact, a job that barely paid above minimum but which suited his rock sensibilities at the time) won a hot rodded Mexi-Tele at a company function and it became one of his favorite guitars.

On the Jayhawks front, actually, I meand I was listening to a lot of that band, who often have a very prominent SG.

• Members
Well, you can go with the common setup I employ on most all of my Strats anymore..

I love the strat.. the look, the feel and the tonal possibilitys from them, but I also like medum output hummers in them, but I HATE the look of full size hummers, and they don't sound right anwyas. So I use stacked hummers in the single coil package in the nexk and bridge positions, and a nice medium output single in the middle.

Tap the coils and you have pretty much the best of both worlds.. you can even put the taps on pull pots and never even have to deface your vintage pickguard with another hole for a switch..

The sound of the single sized hummers in the neck position is to die for.. from Jazz to all out ballsy bottom line blues. The single sized hummers in the bridge give you enough ooompfh to drive your distortion if you like, and yet due to it's single size and placement it still retains a lot of the single vibe with none of the hum or excessive highs, but all the power you need to toss the gain stage into overdrive.

Then the middle pup speaks for it's self.. all single, pure strat.. mixed with the doubles it is very close to strat yet the tone is less harsh, and in the middle it is pure strat and all of it's twangy glory..

I can testify many many many many many strats later, this is a great configuration and perfect for covering most everything in one guitar.

It won't give you the SG 'snap' of the shorter scale. but if your used to the strat anyways you wont mind much..

You make ist sound pretty good.

• Members

I love my Blues Jr.....been playing it solo lately with no pedals or anything just running my '71 SG tone monster through it instead of through all kinds of pedals and my Peavey Classic 30 and my Carvin VT112. Carvin really makes great amps. I also like running my Strat through any of those amps especially since I switched out the custom humbucker for a P-90 and now it almost rocks like the SG.

No maple neck on that SG.

I love the direction(s) this thread has taken.

I am working on a new song.

EDIT: My strat has an ebony board. Oh, wait.....it's not really a strat....it was a one off custom.

• Members

For the record, ebony is harder than rosewood is harder than hard maple. And Fender does make an ebony fretboard, but I think their "dark" fretboards are usually rosewood.

I gotta call ya on this one bro,, maple is harder than rosewood

If I'm understanding you correctly. Or are ya sayin ebony is harder that rosewood or maple ? if that's the case I retract my statement :poke: cause to read it ,it appears you're saying ebony is harder than rosewood (which) is harder than maple :idk:

great thread, love all those lyrics,, you guys keep this up and you'll all be sharing royalitie

also , wouldn't trade my 62 rosewood strat for anything, did put in a SD little 59 in the bridge along with texas specials in mid and neck. the SD has a push/pull and with a HRD sounds really nice, can "almost" get that SG tone but not quite.

• Members

Wow, it's only been a few years (OK a decade or so
:D
) since you could pick up a Mexican tele for under $200. I guess times have changed. One of my pals (who used to work QC at Fender, in fact, a job that barely paid above minimum but which suited his rock sensibilities at the time) won a hot rodded Mexi-Tele at a company function and it became one of his favorite guitars.

On the Jayhawks front, actually, I meand I was listening to a lot of that
band
, who often have a very prominent SG.

Yeah..lol.. and I had a brain wiiiiiiifffffff.... I was talking about the Blueshawk by gibson.. I want one!

Archived