Anyone put out a self released, DIY recorded EP or full length?

Say Ocean

• Members

Yeah, about 10 years ago my drummer got the notion that the world was waiting for a notey, fusionesque jam band. So I had an 01V, a Yammie MDR8, a Rode NT-1, Audix D5, an amp modeller and some DI's and went to the races. It being a jam band, we just rocked out, and I would edit on the MDR8 (a short lived MiniDisc 8 track). Using markers you could make playlists and move sections around, skip the {censored}ty bits and all. BUT...... it wouldn't save this stuff if you powered down. Mixing sessions were a commitment. Got it mastered by a pro, duped them, sold a few, gave away more, and I think a box of them still reside under said drummer's bed.

• Members

released a DIY 3 song EP last year.

releasing a full-length DIY next month.

samples are up online on MySpace or our website (see sig) if you wanna hear the quality of the recordings.

recorded in FL at Hestla's recording studio and printed everything with Discmakers.

-PJ

• Members

Our DIY 6-song release sold more copies than our studio-recorded 10-songs one :facepalm:

The studio one is the one you can listen on Myspace (see link below).

I tell you, once you know your way around gear, it's tough to leave someone else in charge!

That said, it felt good to have someone run the board while I was doing my tracks. And the rest of the time I could simply do the producer's job without handling the technical details.

The DIY sounded pretty good, I used my computer and a Mackie ONYX 400F interface, using mics I had on hand (rented a few for drum tracks, ended up spending a huge 100$).

But the studio one sounds better... we had access to killer preamps and mics. I'm just not 100% satisfied with the mix (never get your album mixed by someone in another city, we had to share via Internet and it took forever to get corrections made and it was never perfect).

If I had the choice to redo it again, I'd track in the studio, then bring the tracks with me for mixing. I love mixing.

• Members

DIY recordings are hard-- but i've been part of DIY+ an engineer (either me, or somebody recording a band i'm in) recordings for 15 years and have done quite a few of 'em..

all that recording was guerrilla style in spaces not meant for it. it's totally possible, and with some forethought and a few good mics, you can make some great recordings that make a lot of local studios blush.. and that're way more appropriate to the style of music.

with things like reaper and the available plugins nowadays... it's almost inexcusable NOT to try it-- the only cost of entry is a solid interface and microphones-- but for less than the cost of my first 2" tape project's TAPE costs.. you could get a mic collection that'd do the job... i just keep my eyes peeled for good deals on mics STILL-- mostly used-- and as you keep trucking along, you get the materials to make better and better recordings.

seriously-- 2 LDC overheads are a great place to start to make recordings a MILLION times better... use one for vocal recording. for less than $500, you go from constrained dynamic sound to a much more open and airy feel which makes every recording more 'pro' sounding.

then.. you start down the road of thinking sonically, and it's a lot harder to make BAD recordings because you realize just how much of it is just listening and mic placement, and you start to wonder how so many people get horrible results....

• Members
then.. you start down the road of thinking sonically, and it's a lot harder to make BAD recordings because you realize just how much of it is just listening and mic placement, and you start to wonder how so many people get horrible results....

:thu: The more you do it and the more time you spend learning the gear and how it responds and reacts, the easier it becomes. Learn how your mics and pres sound- their own character and how they relate to the source- and learn mic placement, and you can make a great sounding record with thoroughly run-of-the-mill gear you can just go to Guitar Center and buy.

Training your ears and learning your equipment will get you a lot farther than just having equipment. Gear is only as good as the ears of the person using it. Ever heard a guitarist with class gear and total {censored} tone? Recording equipment's the same way. You have to set it up- "dial it in", as it were- just like anything else.

• Members
:thu:
The more you do it and the more time you spend learning the gear and how it responds and reacts, the easier it becomes. Learn how your mics and pres sound- their own character and how they relate to the source- and learn mic placement, and you can make a great sounding record with thoroughly run-of-the-mill gear you can just go to Guitar Center and buy.

Training your ears and learning your equipment will get you a lot farther than just having equipment. Gear is only as good as the ears of the person using it. Ever heard a guitarist with class gear and total {censored} tone? Recording equipment's the same way. You have to set it up- "dial it in", as it were- just like anything else.

it's truly amazing how much better gear has gotten in 20 years, and how much CHEAPER really GOOD gear has gotten... granted-- it isn't like you get a u47 for $50 yet... or even $1000 ... but with convertors being WAY better... the 'home recording' market has a FANTASTICALLY high midline compared to where it was when i started 4 tracking with a single akg c1000.. and thankfully, the disaster caused by 'tipped up' condensors in the transition from tape to BAD early digital... that's all kinda gotten worked out...

• Members
it's truly amazing how much better gear has gotten in 20 years, and how much CHEAPER really GOOD gear has gotten... granted-- it isn't like you get a u47 for $50 yet... or even $1000 ... but with convertors being WAY better... the 'home recording' market has a FANTASTICALLY high midline compared to where it was when i started 4 tracking with a single akg c1000.. and thankfully, the disaster caused by 'tipped up' condensors in the transition from tape to BAD early digital... that's all kinda gotten worked out...

How much better does that Focusrite sound than an old 1604 and how much did each cost again? ;) And you can get a totally solid condenser or ribbon or a pretty great dynamic for what, three bills?

• Members

How much better does that Focusrite sound than an old 1604 and how much did each cost again?
;)
And you can get a totally solid condenser or ribbon or a pretty great dynamic for what, three bills?

ohmigod... to be honest, i'm not sure how much better the focusrite sounds than the 1604 because running to a 16 or 20 bit ADAT is SUCH a different beast.... and i've never run a 1604 to anything else but a power amp for live usage, or said ADATS, and i've surely never run a saffire pro to that!

but in the end... a 1604 was a WAY more expensive piece o' gear... and rightfully so... there's a LOT more routing in there.. and i'd go to it in a millisecond.. but damn thing won't talk to my computer... :mad::lol:

i remember when an AT 4033 (the first 'cheap' large diaphragm condensor i remember) was what-- $600? i bought rode nt1's for $299 each.. and THAT was considered CHEAP... i about died.. but i needed vocal/overheads and that was all i could afford! the spreads.. umm.. a little more sumptuous nowadays....

Archived