Lonestar Special or Super Reverb?

shadow.dancer_

• Members

Love Super reverb's but I would have to say the Lonestar special is the better of the two amps. More versatility, can get great tone at lower volumes because you can select the wattage, built like a tank, better looking. Like I said I love the super reverb but it is a one trick pony, sounds best when cranked and if you are talking a re-issue there is no comparing the quality. Mesa win out for sure!

• Members

The Lonestar is one of the few Mesas I actually would love to own...

except the price of a used Lonestar can buy me something like.....

A Super Reverb which is far superior in every way possible. FWIW, I've heard about a LOT of reliability issues with the Lonestar, and there is so much crap going on inside those amps I'm not surprised.

Go take a look inside any Blackface or Silverface (nonmaster) Super Reverb, and unless you're retarded and blind you'll notice they are handwired and truly built well.

Also, Supers are not one trick ponies. Sure if you just plug straight in, you'll get one of the best clean tones ever produced by a guitar amp, but add a pedal or two and you're in a whole different direction.

• Members

Go take a look inside any Blackface or Silverface (nonmaster) Super Reverb, and unless you're retarded and blind you'll notice they are handwired and truly built well.

Also, Supers are not one trick ponies. Sure if you just plug straight in, you'll get one of the best clean tones ever produced by a guitar amp, but add a pedal or two and you're in a whole different direction.

Mesa had a crap batch of rectifier tubes for the Specials. The classics are bulletproof.

Here's gut shots of mine.

IMG_0056-1.jpg

• Members

I have owned both Lonestars and a SRRI. The Super is the only one I still have.

Fuck those Lonestar pieces of shit.
:mad:

I no longer own a Lonestar so I don't really have a dog in the fight but I'd hardly say they're a piece of shit. Care to elaborate? Mine was my main gigging amp for over a year and it never hiccuped. I've got a Mesa DC-5 that's over 10 years old and it's solid as hell.

• Members

Obviously some one who has never owned or even played one.

Can you read?

I owned and sold both models. The Special has practically no clean headroom, and the Classic I had was a {censored}ing nightmare from hell. Maybe it was a lemon, it spent more time in the shop or stored away out of disgust than being played. I finally got it working good enough to trade in for something else.

• Members

Personally I found the cleans of the Lonestar kind of sterile and the drive sounds a little buzzy and grainy.

A Super Reverb is simplicity in comparison and seems to sound better as a result. I'd rather get my gain sounds from pedals, which the SR seems to like better than the Mesa. I can see how the mesa might be a bit more versatile in the sounds it can get...but I'd rather get that versatility from different pedals and guitars instead of asking that from my amp.

I'd vote for the Fender.

• Members

The Lonestar is one of the few Mesas I actually would love to own...

except the price of a used Lonestar can buy me something like.....

A Super Reverb which is far superior in every way possible. FWIW, I've heard about a LOT of reliability issues with the Lonestar, and there is so much crap going on inside those amps I'm not surprised.

I would not say the Super Reverb is far superior to the lonestar. I played a Lonestar special and owned a Lonestar classic. I also owned a 68 Super Reverb. The Super Reverb is a great amp if you are getting an older point to point wired amp. If you are buying a re-issue I think the SR doesn't even come close in build quality. When I implied they are one trick ponies I meant that they do what they do great but you need to add pedals to take it somewhere else. The lonestar had the versatility without the need for pedals.

To be honest I am surprised the majority of people here have sided with the fender. I have always been a huge fender fan and Like I said I love the SR but honestly the lonestar is the better amp unless you are talking a legitimate point to point wired SR. Even then I would have to side with the lonestar for versatlity. Sold my SR for that exact reason.

Eventually sold the Lonestar because the weight of it was killing me taking it to practice. not for lack of great tone. As others have said the classic is a great amp just listen to some of andy timmons stuff to hear what an amp should sound like.

[YOUTUBE]00Heev2_94A[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

this.

i've compared them side by side (SR vs LC). the mesa sounds better to me, however i am not surprised by people siding with the fender; there's a coolness about rolling up in a place with a great old fender amp (i am a sucker for tweed fenders), and attitude that goes with it.

• Members

Can you read?

I owned and sold both models. The Special has practically no clean headroom, and the Classic I had was a fucking nightmare from hell. Maybe it was a lemon, it spent more time in the shop or stored away out of disgust than being played. I finally got it working good enough to trade in for something else.

But I don't think you can hear. The lonestar is probally the best amp that mesa makes. The number of tracks recorded using that amp is staggering. I don't believe you have owned one because no one that has would say that.:)

• Members

I think the Fender amp would make have to work harder for the tone vs the Mesa sugar coats everything so you can "hide" behind the amp and it sounds good no matter what.

Fender SR tones :thu: in the right hands however is GOD-LIKE

waiting for the pokes now!

• Members

But I don't think you can hear. The lonestar is probally the best amp that mesa makes. The number of tracks recorded using that amp is staggering. I don't believe you have owned one because no one that has would say that.
:)

You're right, not that many people have recorded with Fender Super Reverbs compared to the Lone Star Classic. In fact, I doubt the SR is even heard as much as the LSS. :rolleyes:

I know what amp I've seen in every studio I've ever been in... and which one Mesa fan boi's will tout as the best Fender tone Mesa has ever made. Personally, I'd just go for the real thing, and save some money in the process.

fwiw, anyone considering a used LS of any variety is looking at spending over $1,000. For that same money, one can easily find a Silverface nonmaster Super Reverb in good working order.

edit: BTW, keep in mind I really do like the way the Mesa LSC sounds. Jimijam and I heard a really good example a while back, and we were both blown away. The feature set is also really cool, and straight forward which is strange for Mesa. I'd just prefer the SR ;)

Archived