Friday Influences Thread 08.14.09

Stackabones

• Members

What has influenced you in the past ... or since the last FIT?

Black body. Gold pickups and hardware. Though it wasn't a Gibson, it was still a Les Paul that my dad gave me as my first guitar. I didn't know who Les Paul was, but I did know who Ace Frehley was. And he played a Les Paul.

[YOUTUBE]TgsoJrzplUI[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

:D

About 5 years ago I was hanging out with a friends band at a show and some girl kept asking them to play a KISS song. Finally, the bassist finally says "Only if I get to be Gene Simmons." Then the drummer chimes in "well, I guess I can be Peter Criss." Then they both look at the guitar player/singer and together say "You have to be Paul Stanley." He didnt skip a beat he comes back with "F* that, I'm Ace Frehley" and went straight in to the song. You would have thought this bit was rehearsed, but I know these guys, and it wasnt. Hopefully this doesnt come across as a you had to be there kind of thing. It was brilliant.

One of the threads in this forum got me writting one this week that should be done over the weekend. Cheers to you guys!

The wife had a playlist going the other day on itunes while we were hanging out with a bunch of Randy Travis on it. I'm not a huge fan and I wouldnt think she would normally be, but he reminds her of her papa. Then out of no where this next one came on and she says I put this on for you. I had no choice but to do some riffing after this.

This isnt the best quality recording but the riff is raw and infectious. Lately, I tend to folk it up for a week and then rock out for a week. I guess this is the rock week

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Moderators

Stack, do you know that I actually look forward to Fridays because of this thread?

So... when I was a kid I saw Hans Christian Anderson, just like a lot of other kids. But for me? I heard the music. I heard the 2 songs of Inchworm working to create 1. I heard the leading tones, the flatted 7th of the tonic chord resolving to the major 3rd of the IV chord, then dropping to a minor 3rd, then the 5th of the tonic, pedal the 5th right through the turn around... to create something both sad and beautiful and something sort of uplifting at the same time.

The drudgery of the kids learning intertwined with the joy of Hans lesson outside the classroom.

I hear this kind of movement in Gershwin, McCartney's song Junk, and I hear in my stuff and I always know where it comes from. I've loved it ever since I first saw this movie as a little boy...

[YOUTUBE]fXi3bjKowJU[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Stack, do you know that I actually look forward to Fridays because of this thread?

:D:thu::wave:

I love Loesser's "The Inch Worm". I once tried to get a jazz trio to do it, but they weren't hip to the idea. Had I know at the time that Coltrane had done it (he'd done it during the same period as My Fav Things), I could've out-hipped the squares in that trio.

• Members

From an ascended master... this slide-show accompanied studio track shows off Les Paul's fine, fun playing, not to mention his pioneering overdub techniques as he's joined by a choir of Mary Fords...

5mJHKaqjJTA

And a little sideways tribute to another recently departed auteur of a different kind:

C_pH-z1_KdE

... always loved that song and I guess the late John Hughes must have, too.

RIP, Mr Paul.

RIP, Mr Hughes.

• Members

Saw an old friend recently, he was always the forward scout in our group for new and different music. He turned me on to the Bellrays, been listening to these guys lately. Great funk/motown/rock mashup. Oh, and Beethoven. Gotta love the Beethoven.

[YOUTUBE]xQQ4ZTdhJDg[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

a little late to the dance but here's mine

From the movie Dancer in the Dark

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

One of only 3 musicals that I ever liked. (wonka, sweeny todd, dancer in the dark)

Not really a musical though. All the musical portions take place in the main characters imagination.

Anyhow, great movie and this song has haunted me for years for some reason.

• Members

One of only 3 musicals that I ever liked. (wonka, sweeny todd, dancer in the dark)

What?! :eek: You mean you didn't like ...

The Wizard Of Oz

Grease

Once

Pink Floyd's The Wall

Moulin Rouge

The Sound of Music

West Side Story

Mary Poppins

Chicago

Mamma Mia

The Producers

Hedwig and the Angry Inch