Ceriatone HRM ('90s Dumble clone) incoming - must I now play poser blues?

rog951

• Members

Dumble-style amps actually have a lot more versatility behind them then the cork-sniffers who play them on Youtube really let shine through. Crank it and hit the front with a boost pedal, you could get some pretty killer lead tones in the ballpark of like David Gilmour and things like that. The tone really isn't that far off from like an early Mark Series Boogie, and we've seen those rock out time and time again.

• Members

Seriously ???

It is all up to your fingers!

HRM will work just fine for rawkin out a little

Naw, not being serious at all man. I couldn't play you a Robben Ford lick with two corks rammed up my nose! I just wonder why there's nothing, and I mean NOTHING on youtube that is played with any Dumble clone that doesn't have a Wurlitzer piano in the backing track! :lol:

• Members

alright... get a strat, learn every song from "The Sky is Crying," then come back to this thread.

Ah, forgot about the SRV/Dumble connection. From watching the U-toob posuers, I was thinking the amp would only work with a plaintop R8.

• Members

I tried out one of the Ceriatone D styles and dug it quite a bit. It is definitely similar to the old Boogie Marks. They don't have a ton of gain, but it is enough for most applications. I tried a BB+ preamp infront as a boost/slight OD and it was ripping. Very cool amps indeed.

• Members

:idk:

I'm hoping I will still be allowed to rawk a little, but from looking at all the youtube clips, I'm not sure.
:facepalm:
What say ye wise gentlemen?

:wave:

Haven't tried the HRM, but I had the standard OTS for a short time. It had a good amount of gain on tap for sure - DEFINITELY more than the youtube clips I've seen.

you also have the mid boost which bypasses the tone controls - it seems to add a bit more gain.

• Members

:idk:

I'm hoping I will still be allowed to rawk a little, but from looking at all the youtube clips, I'm not sure.
:facepalm:
What say ye wise gentlemen?

:wave:

yea i agree with your assessment of the 4 or 5 youtubes. its fuzak smooth jazz blues tones. maybe the overdriven clean side will give you more of an aggressive punch. the demonstrated tones are very milky.

• Members
Read the reviews, I guess there's a couple of trimpots which can get you into Marshally territory.

I couldn't really find many HRM-specific reviews, but from what I can gather it's the nastiest of Ceriatone's D-type bunch. That seems promising. Nik said that the OD on the HRM was gainier than the OTS, and that it was easier to get the clean and OD channels to balance with each other.

• Members

I tried out one of the Ceriatone D styles and dug it quite a bit. It is definitely similar to the old Boogie Marks. They don't have a ton of gain, but it is enough for most applications. I tried a BB+ preamp infront as a boost/slight OD and it was ripping. Very cool amps indeed.

Glad to hear the positive stuff! Anything to help stave off the buyer's remorse before the amp arrives! :thu:

• Members

Haven't tried the HRM, but I had the standard OTS for a short time. It had a good amount of gain on tap for sure - DEFINITELY more than the youtube clips I've seen.

you also have the mid boost which bypasses the tone controls - it seems to add a bit more gain.

I really like the smoothness of the tone on some of the OTS youtube clips. The sustain and harmonic complexity on some of them was truly amazing...when I use a Marshall, the only things that help sustain are either more gain or insane volume. It seems like these D-type amps can achieve greater sustain with less gain, which is something I'm interested in. Must be getting old! :lol:

I'm hoping the HRM will still be able to cop the lead tones of the OTS I hear on the best of those clips!

• Members

yea i agree with your assessment of the 4 or 5 youtubes. its fuzak smooth jazz blues tones. maybe the overdriven clean side will give you more of an aggressive punch. the demonstrated tones are very milky.

Yep..but it's not even that I don't like that smooth, milky lead tone. I just think that partucular tone could be put to good use in a more rockin' context.

We'll see...if I post yet another smoov youtube vid, playing a 335 thru this amp over a backing track of "Kid Charlemagne" while wearing a gaberdeen sweater vest, please shoot me! :facepalm:

Okay, not really...I kinda like that song.

• Members

Naw, not being serious at all man. I couldn't play you a Robben Ford lick with two corks rammed up my nose! I just wonder why there's nothing, and I mean NOTHING on youtube that is played with any Dumble clone that doesn't have a Wurlitzer piano in the backing track!
:lol:

It is because I cannot afford one otherwise it would be

68 SG sp --> Vox King Wah --> bad monkey --> orig Rat = raunch n roll on

Dumble clone! posted on YouTube for all to cringe at:thu:

Most people that used real Dumbles (that can afford one) are seasoned players that liked the cleaner side of the amp which it can do in spades.

+ that extra smoooth overdrive to add some life to the jazzy/bluesy licks

HRM can be tweaked via trim pots and from what I have read about them and

can be nasty! Not like the stock Dumbles.

:thu:

On the good side, those are hot selling amps, if you don't like it, I am sure you can sell it fast and then go get a Jubilee Clone instead :love:

• Members

Those Ceriatone dDumble clones are sweet. I took the opposite approach, though. I bought a Boogie MarkIV because I figured it could come close to a Dumble tone, but being a Rocker at heart I had to have something I knew could rock too. I've been really pleased with the awesome Robben Ford / Larry Carlton tones out I've been able to get from the MarkIV. Obviously it doesn't nail them 100% but it can get that vibe...smooth, sustaining, sort of low gain sounding but easily goes into harmonic feedback & sustain...not quite the Dumble or the Ceriatone but close.

I have searched youtube & the web trying to find a MarkIV getting that Dumble bluesy/jazzy tone & can't find a sample anywhere. I just assumed it could get those tones & I got lucky.

I bet your approach will work out...you will definitely get those Dumble tones & I bet you will be able to make it rock too. I'd love to have one of those Ceriatones. But for now (& probably a long time) the Boogie covers a lot of ground pretty darn well.

• Members

It is because I cannot afford one otherwise it would be

68 SG sp --> Vox King Wah --> bad monkey --> orig Rat = raunch n roll on

Dumble clone! posted on YouTube for all to cringe at:thu:

Most people that used real Dumbles (that can afford one) are seasoned players that liked the cleaner side of the amp which it can do in spades.

+ that extra smoooth overdrive to add some life to the jazzy/bluesy licks

HRM can be tweaked via trim pots and from what I have read about them and

can be nasty! Not like the stock Dumbles.

:thu:

On the good side, those are hot selling amps, if you don't like it, I am sure you can sell it fast and then go get a Jubilee Clone instead
:love:

Hahaha. Yeah, I won't be afraid to explore the higher settings of the OD knob either! :) I do hope the HRM will still be capable of the tones I hear from the original OTS...just be able to go beyond them as well.

• Members

Those Ceriatone dDumble clones are sweet. I took the opposite approach, though. I bought a Boogie MarkIV because I figured it could come close to a Dumble tone, but being a Rocker at heart I had to have something I knew could rock too. I've been really pleased with the awesome Robben Ford / Larry Carlton tones out I've been able to get from the MarkIV. Obviously it doesn't nail them 100% but it can get that vibe...smooth, sustaining, sort of low gain sounding but easily goes into harmonic feedback & sustain...not quite the Dumble or the Ceriatone but close.

I have searched youtube & the web trying to find a MarkIV getting that Dumble bluesy/jazzy tone & can't find a sample anywhere. I just assumed it could get those tones & I got lucky.

I bet your approach will work out...you will definitely get those Dumble tones & I bet you will be able to make it rock too. I'd love to have one of those Ceriatones. But for now (& probably a long time) the Boogie covers a lot of ground pretty darn well.

Hmmmm, I already have a MkIII...your post has me wondering how much they'll overlap. Both derived from Fender designs and both get most of their dirt from the pre section. I already know I can get that singing "violin" lead tone from the MkIII. Hmmmm. This will be interesting.

Archived