What the best cheapo 5-watt combo currently out there?

Krank

• Members
Orange AD5

Blackstar HT5

Basically any map with a name consisting of an abbreviation constructed of two letters, followed by the number five.

I love my HT-5 head. But $399 for the combo kinda takes it a little beyond the cheapie category, IMO.

• Members

Thanks. Might add that I consider

Well, the Blackstar is solid state for the drive part, and the cleans I've heard on clips aren't really inspiring. Looks pretty solid though.

What can you tell me about the tone of the Vox and Orange models? What have you compared them to?

• Members

Thanks. Might add that I consider

Well, the Blackstar is solid state for the drive part, and the cleans I've heard on clips aren't really inspiring. Looks pretty solid though.

What can you tell me about the tone of the Vox and Orange models? What have you compared them to?

Solid state where :o

• Members

Solid state where
:o

It believe it has many opamps and active tone controls. It's not exactly a "pure" tube amp. That being said it doesn't matter to me. I think ot sounds pretty awesome.

I have the Blackheart Little Giant. I'm fooling around with some mods to the tone stack and to be honest it's not too shabby. It loves pedals.

• Members

It believe it has many opamps and active tone controls. It's not exactly a "pure" tube amp. That being said it doesn't matter to me. I think ot sounds pretty awesome.

I have the Blackheart Little Giant. I'm fooling around with some mods to the tone stack and to be honest it's not too shabby. It loves pedals.

I've just ordered a mod'ed Little Giant from the UK actually. Was just thinking ahead in terms of getting something else for higher gain.

• Members

The Blackstar is tube on both ends. I own one. Anybody who states otherwise has bad source information, either from rumors or conjecture. It's all tube, 2 footswithcable channels with an FX loop, & sounds great. Just don't expect too much headroom on the clean channel. If they made a 10 watt version to alleviate the lack of headroom on the clean channel, it'd probably be the best value in tube amplification anywhere, hands down. I do recommend...:thu:

• Members

The Blackstar is tube on both ends. I own one. Anybody who states otherwise has bad source information, either from rumors or conjecture. It's all tube, 2 footswithcable channels with an FX loop, & sounds great. Just don't expect too much headroom on the clean channel. If they made a 10 watt version to alleviate the lack of headroom on the clean channel, it'd probably be the best value in tube amplification anywhere, hands down. I do recommend...
:thu:

I have one too, along with an HT-Dual overdrive pedal that is the same circuitry as the preamp of the HT-5. There is SS circuitry in the preamp section of the amp, along with using both sides of the 12ax7.

• Members

I've just ordered a mod'ed Little Giant from the UK actually. Was just thinking ahead in terms of getting something else for higher gain.

I was just in the same position as you. I was thinking about selling the Blackheart for the Blackstar. I then reasoned that the Blackstar is really nothing more than the HT-Dual overdrive pedal into a tube power section.

I figured I could just run an overdrive pedal into the front of the Blackheart and it's essentially the same thing. I run a tube screamers or a metal muff into it and it screams.

Again nothing against the Blackstar because I think it's pretty sweet.

With the introduction and the Marshall Haze and the Vox Night Train there are some very compelling choices for a low power tube heads.

• Members

I have one too, along with an HT-Dual overdrive pedal that is the same circuitry as the preamp of the HT-5. There is SS circuitry in the preamp section of the amp, along with using both sides of the 12ax7.

Is this what Valvestate tech is? I have no clue, just thought it odd that this guy would dismiss them, he seemed to know his {censored}.

How do you feel about the HT-5 10'' speaker? Why the heck wouldn't they make it a 12''?

• Members

Is this what Valvestate tech is? I have no clue, just thought it odd that this guy would dismiss them, he seemed to know his {censored}.

How do you feel about the HT-5 10'' speaker? Why the heck wouldn't they make it a 12''?

The original valve states were great amps so don't knock it and they were invented by the guys at blackstar (they worked for Marshall) but they have also made some dame fine amps with true all valve circuitry.

I own a blackstar HT dual and that into a tube power amp actualy would be an awesome set up (I tried it with my Marshall) so don't avoid it try it.

• Members

Do you have something against 10" speakers?

• Members

I'm going with the Fender Champion 600, or the Fender VibroChamp XD.

The Champion 600 is as simple as it gets: one knob, two inputs (hi/lo).

The VibroChamp is a tube amp with numerous voicings: not all are good, but some are VERY good. It was a great deal when it could be had for $249 or less, but it's selling for closer to $300 since Fender raised prices.

I have a MicroCube: nice, doesn't compare to either of the above (both of which I also own).

Archived