Friday Influences Thread 10.30.09

Stackabones

• Members

I was traveling all last week and ended up driving through Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. I was expecting flat land but that was not entirely the case. There were what I would call hills (I'm from a Louisiana), a handful of beautiful sunsets, and leaves that were transforming before my eyes. I had tunes on the ipod and cds but did something I've not ever really done before on a road trip. I spent a great deal of time in silence. It was an interesting way to get out of ones own head while still being totally self absorbed. Once I got back home, I easily spit out a couple of songs

• Members

the white noise of the wind and the engine?

Interesting. For the past few weeks, I've been driving around (part of my job teaching lessons in homes) and I've had the radio off and no CDs turning. It's been a great way to reclaim some silence & solitude in my day-to-day.

btw, easilyspooked -- that's a great line.

• Members

Songwriters note: the first song Ian wrote was "Four Strong Winds." The first song Sylvia wrote was "You've Been on My Mind," which was a hit for a number of artists.

Wow, that's an old recording.

I & S were the first folkies to catch my interest. As well as their own compositions, I was introduced to the songs of Dylan and Lightfoot by hearing I & S cover them.

In 1969, I & S formed a country-rock band called "Great Speckled Bird". Unfortunately the group broke up soon after.

Ian's voice has deteriorated recently, but he's still performing.

• Members

Yeah... they were kind of my transition from folk to roots pop/folk rock in the mid-60s. I probably listened to them too much for a while and then neglected them too much for way too long but I fell back across them via my Rhapsody subscription and found myself digging through a lot of their stuff I never had access to back then. I remember when Ian had a TV show after they split up. He had some good people on but I think I was pretty deep into rock by then and probably only caught it from time to time.

• Members

I recently discovered Mina Mazzini's version of "Se Telefonando." I had been familiar with Francoise Hardy's French language version for a while, but this arrangement blew my mind. I also just learned the music was written by Ennio Morricone and the melody was inspired by the sound of a police siren.

The sound quality of this clip is a bit harsh, but all of the other videos on Youtube are from a lip-synced tv appearance which cuts out the last ten seconds of the song and I happen to be quite fond of the female choir which closes out the song.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

DNA and Suzanne Vega, Tom's Diner

I haven't been feeling the "Dance Music for Grownups" persona lately (I think "Tastes Like Chicken" might be a better characterization of my stuff from the past year or so) but one of the major inspirations for "Dance Music for Grownups" was the DNA remix of Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Diner". Self-consciously literary lyrics, a dance beat, and acoustic based source material coupled to an electronic setting - it was extremely innovative at the time, and I still think there are some aspects that bear further examination.

[YOUTUBE]8cy5Xn42Ymo[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

That's like saying Metal Machine Music is a little abstract. :D Cool tune, even if it sounds like it was recorded on my first tape recorder with the mic taped to the speaker of a portable TV. More than a little Spector Wall-of-Sound influence, too, obviously... wall of sound through a tunnel... ;)

MyFirstTapeRecorder-150.jpg

Archived