Friday Influences Thread 11.13.09

Stackabones

• Moderators

That Falla is interesting music. I get lost harmonically which is cool. It all works in a sort of mystical and passionate way. I need to hear more of that.

So, what's been on my mind this week musically? Melody.

As a songwriter, it's actually pretty easy to overlook. You've got yer chords. You've got yer words. Yer beats. Yer sounds. Yer good to go Capitan...

All this work and no melody? So you sing some sort of thing that resembles a melody because it does follow the chords. And we call it good.

* Note: for those either adverse to classical music of just don't have the time dammit, skip to the 4th example

At the risk of classical overload, checkout this Solo Cello. Bach could write a single note line that implied the chords. He would sort of outline the chords with his melody. Sometimes it takes a scientist's heart to see the beauty in Bach and I understand that. But just give a listen to this single note line. One note at a time.

A melody...

[YOUTUBE]rIzKdmDxdD0[/YOUTUBE]

But it's Bach. It doesn't reach out and grab your heart. Make you want to dance or cry. At least not without a little work on your part. So, sometimes the simplest melody can do that. Dig the now dated (though I still love it) faux classical, pop arrangement by Mancini of this moving melody...

[YOUTUBE]UaA2WiyqO1E[/YOUTUBE]

If you're still with me and inclined... Holst. There is nothing like Holst. Nothing sounds like his work The Planets. And as wonderfully inventive as this music is, it never strays from melody. Just give a listen to how how many melodies spring up out of this 7 minute piece. Just when you think you're going into esoterica-land he hits with a... melody... If you've never heard this, don't miss it. It is a great piece of work and some of the most beautiful and inspiring melodies ever.

[YOUTUBE]3B49N46I39Y[/YOUTUBE]

*[YOUTUBE]fLWm-m6CuCY[/YOUTUBE]

• Moderators

It doesn't?
:idk:
I have had all those responses to Bach. Sometimes in just that one movement, especially in Casal's performance.

Of course... but there was a time, a long time ago that ti didn't for me. So my point is, for some, it might not... and I get that. I'm a Bach nut so I'm with you. :)

"But it's Bach. It doesn't reach out and grab your heart. Make you want to dance or cry. At least not without a little work on your part."

• Members

So, what's been on my mind this week musically? Melody.

I'm glad you posted this and I like all of your examples. It's what I sometimes try to get at when posting to this forum (including in a very recent thread). Some people regard the accompanying rhythm or chords as the backbone - I don't. Melody is the backbone and foundation for everything else. All the other stuff serves to make the melody be heard.

It's nice that you picked a frivolous tune like 'Junk'. It's nowhere near being profound and it's even a little maudlin. But some real skill was brought to bear in the construction of its graceful melody.

Back in the summer I was listening to some songs by Bread (a favorite of my late father's) and that stuff is really saccharine and yet there's some really quality song construction and melody in their work (mostly David Gates').

Lest anyone think I'm just thinking about old stuff, there are many contemporary bands who also know their way around a melody.

• Members

Here are a few slightly more current melodists. I've only ever heard the audio of these so the videos probably suck in their trendiness and narcissism and poseur-ness. I also tend to ignore lyrics so maybe they suck too.

[YOUTUBE]SRkX1Up1vnc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]hWnUwoZFw28[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]BEz8N8AT-yo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]kCeZzW54a2o&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

• Moderators

Eeglug! I like it. I am already a fan of Damon Albern's. His stuff with both Blur and The Gorillaz is great. He's the sort of writer who uses cool melodies yet his delivery suggests otherwise. If you know what I mean. Very off the cuff it's easy to overlook what's going on. Good call.

I bought the Kaiser Chiefs album for I Predict a Riot. Another great example. Shame they couldn't keep up with their other songs but... hey... that is a great tune. Tune, literally.

But Sick Muse? Edit: I see they're called Metric. I'm a new fan. I loved that. I'm going to check and see if I like their other stuff as much as this. And the last one brings back a lot of the 80's that was good. The stuff we forget about because it didn't do the kitsch 80's thing. I mean, 80's in a cool way. But not overly so.

Good stuff.

• Members

Hey gang cool stuff as always

Ealrier I got together with the song writer for the country band I've been playing with just to chill and play a little. Turns out we both like Eagles of Death Metal!

We did some impromtu riff rock. Took turns singing and nailed 5new "songs." All of them were super simple ROCK, 3 chords at the most. We decided to go ahead and book a show. We arent going to worry about a bass player right now and have a couple of drummers to try out. If things solidify then we will add a bassist later.

I was going to post a vid for Eagles of Death Metal since thats kind of what started this all but no embedding from the youtube. If you are curious here is a write up on them from their WIKI page

Eagles of Death Metal are an American rock band from Palm Desert, California, formed in 1998 by Jesse Hughes and Josh Homme. Despite the name, Eagles of Death Metal is not a death metal band. Hughes said that a friend was trying to introduce Josh Homme to the death metal genre. When he played music by Polish death metal band Vader, Homme called them "The Eagles of death metal". After hearing this phrase, he wondered what a cross between the Eagles and a death metal band would sound like.[1] In a 2003 interview Homme described the sound of the band as a combination of "bluegrass slide guitar mixed with stripper drum beats and Canned Heat vocals." Jesse Hughes is known and loved by fans for his enthusiastic and charismatic interaction with audiences at live performances.[2][3]

• Members

Here's a dude that had a big influence on Kathleen Edwards (though I must admit I find Kathleen Edwards very "trite"), but he often pops up on my musical radar and did so again today:

[YOUTUBE]IsJgZB33uGE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]W92Kj_3un4w[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]HJmzo6Ql4xA[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Here's a dude that had a big influence on Kathleen Edwards (though I must admit I find Kathleen Edwards very "trite"), but he often pops up on my musical radar and did so again today:

I like Bryson as well. He's one of the few writers who attempts to include humour in his songs.

I like Edwards too:)

Archived