Friday Influences Thread 11.06.09

Stackabones

• Moderators

John Hiatt's a well known name among songwriters. But...before he became John Hiatt: Heartland Songsmith, he was doing drugs and playing the clubs in LA. And drinking, and trying to be Elvis Costello, Graham Parker and Tonio K. I liked him a lot back then. Still do, but man, he had a way with turning phrases. That whole Cole Porter on amphetamines thing that Costello did? Hiatt did it too early on. I saw him several times during this period and it was clear he was a bit uncomfortable with this role... but some of those songs from that era are gold. I'm revisiting a lot of my old faves from the skinny tie and stimulants era...

[YOUTUBE]JcBQlXTceJs[/YOUTUBE]

I went to the marketplace

They said they liked my face

Better than a digital watch

You got it, we're pros and we can spot it

So I thought it was some disease

But they were all on their knees

Shakin' hands with my picture

First we sterilize it

Then we merchandise it

Everybody tries

Everybody buys it

Well that's fine

Put me on the slug line

Punch a pretty hole in my mind

Show me where to sign

And put me on the slug line

They told me how to behave

Like any other public slave

Keep a smile on the face of the consumer

Or you'll become a rumor

So I got a band of angry sons

Now we're havin' so much fun

Tearin' up the nation

Weapons out of mic stands

Bitin' on the glad hand

They still don't understand

That they were marketing a madman

And that's fine

Put me on the slug line

Show me where to sign

And put me on the slug-

Well that's fine

Put me on the slug line

Show me where to sign

You made one mistake

You made me wait

That's fine

Put me on the slug line

Show me where to sign

And put me on the slug-

Well that's fine

Put me on the slug line

Couldn't lay a glove on my mind

So show me where to sign

• Members

My biggest influence this week would have to be this old upright piano I was playing. Had a rehersal this week to get at the bass player's house. The singer popped a string on his guitar and I gave him mine so I could jump on the piano that had been calling to me ever sense I got there. They knew I played a little but did not know I could "hang" with the songs we've been doing together. They are super simple country esc tunes about heartache that I've been playing on for months and didnt have a problem banging away at the piano. Now in addition to lap steel and guitar they want me to play piano too.

I thought they were kidding but they were serious. I told them I wouldnt be willing to pay for a decent key board and they said they said not to worry about it. They will get one for me and already have one lined up for a gig next week! I have a piano at my house I play on all the time but have seldom had the opportunity to play keys in a band setting so it was really nice to get some validation.

There should be some more of that same piano in my future tonight. The bass player is hosting a songwriter night at her house. There should be between 10 and 20 songwriters, a couple of fire pits, and lots of jamming!

• Members

John Hiatt's a well known name among songwriters. But...before he became John Hiatt: Heartland Songsmith, he was doing drugs and playing the clubs in LA. And drinking, and trying to be Elvis Costello, Graham Parker and Tonio K. I liked him a lot back then. Still do, but man, he had a way with turning phrases. That whole Cole Porter on amphetamines thing that Costello did? Hiatt did it too early on. I saw him several times during this period and it was clear he was a bit uncomfortable with this role... but some of those songs from that era are gold. I'm revisiting a lot of my old faves from the skinny tie and stimulants era...

Yeah, I remember being struck by how messed up he looked on the album cover:

200px-Hiatt_Slug.jpg

I really only got turned on to him a little later, after he sobered up:

[YOUTUBE]GG-iVJpJXkc[/YOUTUBE]

(rather unnecessary extended slide solo in this live cut, but it was the best sounding version I could find on youtube)

• Moderators

(rather unnecessary extended slide solo in this live cut, but it was the best sounding version I could find on youtube)

That's 'cause it's Sonny Landreth! He was an unknown then except around his own area of Lafayette, LA. Old story...

So, I'm a huge early 80's Hiatt fan. Then he goes sober etc. and hits with Bring the Family. Now I'm in a band called Four Eyes and we're due to be signed and we're getting all the plush opening slots for gigs that may be appropriate to theirs and our style.

We get the opening slot for Hiatt at an 800 seater. I'm freaked and the rest of the band is John who? I get to meet Hiatt!!!

Anyway, we play our set and get off and Hiatt is as nice as can be. Nice set boys. Etc. Very cool. He then says, this is Sonny. A shy kid (seemed young) extends his hand almost looking down at the floor...

Hi Sonny.

I'm a huge Hiatt fan ready to be at his boots as the show starts. Literally at stage's edge. Hey, I'm a fan. I'd seen him twice already presober and he was fantastic! I've got my beer in hand (I'm still drinking then) and the band starts. My eyes are locked on Hiatt. One of my few musical idols. Then, 3 songs in maybe, I start noticing the slide player... and I move over... and never moved back. Sonny Lendreth.

...and... Sonny...

[YOUTUBE]M9yXgjcqH2E[/YOUTUBE]

Archived