Chinese made VS UK made celestion blues: interesting

Vedder323

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah...

Break those speakers in, and decide if you should be pissed off.

Or, if you know it will bug you, just return it now.

At low volumes it sounds great, no reason to be upset yet... all my concerns have been based on internet research and youtube videos so in the end, it might not even matter at all. How long do these guys usually take to break in?

• Members

"I know at least two people who have given me bad reports on the Chinese blue speakers. From my point of view, the cone assembly is clearly not the original (Muller H1777) that is a central part of the blue speaker sound. I don't know the origin of the cone they now use, but it seems to have a different texture, density, and suspension, all of which are important. I understand the sound is harsh and over-bright compared to an original.

On the other hand I heard the same comment when some old blues were replaced with new Celestion-made ones, so perhaps its a question of "playing them in" to loosen up the suspension. I do this artificially here by injecting a 100hz test tone into the amp and leaving it at around 5 watts of output for a couple of days. The sound changes remarkably. Perhaps it would do the same to the Chinese speakers." - Dave Peterson

• Members

This is why I would never trust online comparisons of tubes, speakers, transformers, PU's ect...

You just don't know whats really going on unless you are there.

I just watched the vid, and then read your post.

I wouldn't have known, I was just going to bounce from this thread.

I can't believe anyone gets worked up of a comparison posted on Youtube. Youtube people. Youtube.

Think of the terrible sound quality, and then ask yourself how you're supposed to compare things like speakers. Plus read what the creator wrote. He sounds like a goddamn moron. I wouldn't trust him to properly convey the weather outside, let alone the difference in speakers.

• Members
...As I understand, there are quite a few OEM speakers still made in the UK plant that don't get advertised...

Mesa's 90w Black Shadow is a Celestion 80 that's always been made at the U.K. plant. When you buy 500 pallets of speakers at a time, I guess you have a little say on where you want them made.

• Members

Dear Forum

I write now officially on behalf of Vox R&D, we do of course monitor the dialogue that takes place on the forum but it is generally our policy not to partake as we do not wish to bias any opinions towards the discussions and our intention for the forum is to be a truly open communication platform for discussion on all Vox topics, be it positive or negative.

This said, we do however now feel it necessary to intercede on the subject of the Celestion Chinese Alnico speaker and the Celestion UK Alnico speaker:

Please also let us state that human nature especially when debating, and certainly with musicians, will never enable everyone to be satisfied with the final decision / answer, but having so many opinions on sound especially, is what makes our business so wonderful and is why one persons unacceptable amp or tone is another

Archived