Getting in Shape

theinTIMidator

• Members

I've never really been in that good shape. I mean I'm not overweight, but I have essentially no muscle. I can barely do a real pushup. What's a good way to start building some muscle to look and feel better? All I have equipment wise is treadmill and I don't really have a lot of money to go out buying stuff. Anybody have a plan or dvd or something that might work for me.

• Members

Don't need gear to get in shape. Start off with goals and build from there. Walk 1 mile (listen to some loud music always helps) just start with the basics. 50-100 push ups and sit ups every morning. You won't belive how much the little things can do over time. Also don't eat fast food or mass produced {censored}. Hit salad bars and cook for your self. Pretty simple if you stick with it.

• Members

Don't need gear to get in shape. Start off with goals and build from there. Walk 1 mile (listen to some loud music always helps) just start with the basics. 50-100 push ups and sit ups every morning. You won't belive how much the little things can do over time. Also don't eat fast food or mass produced {censored}. Hit salad bars and cook for your self. Pretty simple if you stick with it.

I usually don't eat junk food and {censored} and have no problem walking a mile. I can try doing the situps and push ups. I'm more worried about building some muscle b/c I'm a weak mofo.

• Members

Fit TV is great, do one or two workouts of your choice every day. Stick to them.

If you have "on demand", there's tons of workouts that you can pull up and work from, they're all free if you have digital TV.

Barring that, just eat healthy and start moving around. Sex is great exercise, do lots of that. At some point you may want to pick up some resistance bands, they're pretty cheap (under $10) and that'll allow you do do pretty much any strength training that you need to do for the next year and go from there.

-W

• Members

If you want to build some muscle you have to lift heavy weight in smaller amounts.

Join a cheap small gym if you don't have a lot of money, and start training with dumbbells. Don't do 10000 reps just do sets of about 8 reps so that each set is very difficult.

Getting in shape or building muscle is all about consistancy. It has to become part of your lifestyle. Gyms are good IMO because once you get there, you are more likely to do a better workout than if you were at home and maybe not so much in the mood to. The key is getting your ass through that door and then theres nothing to do but workout.

• Members

Getting in shape or building muscle is all about consistancy. It has to become part of your lifestyle. Gyms are good IMO because once you get there, you are more likely to do a better workout than if you were at home and maybe not so much in the mood to. The key is getting your ass through that door and then theres nothing to do but workout.

This is my problem. I'm serious for about a week and then I slack off. Especially with my running. I'm thinking now that I'm about to get my drivers license maybe I'll join a local gym.

• Members

This is my problem. I'm serious for about a week and then I slack off. Especially with my running. I'm thinking now that I'm about to get my drivers license maybe I'll join a local gym.

If you have a local community college with a gym, you may be able to take a cheap one credit hour exercise class and possibly have free access to the gym during school hours.

Otherwise or additionally, you could always just get a cheap set of dumbells and start doing curls, the aforementioned pushups, and then lunges with the dumbells in hand, etc... If the weights are in your room and not buried under stuff then it may be easy enough to just get in the habit of grabbing them and getting a quick workout out of the way.

• Members

[YOUTUBE]IV5jI2Ezfx0[/YOUTUBE]

:27 on, just listen to that in your head when you slack off

• Members
What would a typical good workout be? I don't even know where to start. Like x amount of lunges, push ups, pull ups. When I go around the treadmill I usually do a 45 minute pre built workout twice a day, but a lot of times can only do it once.

If you go to a gym, try this to start:

All at 3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Bicep curls
Tricep Pull-downs
Shoulder Raises
Lat pull-downs

Behind back forearm curls
behindbackcurls.gif

If you really want to do push-ups, try 3 sets of as many push-ups as you can do properly without hurting yourself (count each time to track progress though)

3 sets of as many bicycles as you can do properly without hurting yourself:

[YOUTUBE]EEQYehfYnAw&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Google power90, or power90x if your up for it. Yes it is a cheesy exercise video but it seems like alot of people are satisfied....and you can acquire it for free if you know where to look.:thu:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=p90x+results&aq=0&oq=p90x+

I was doing regular p90 until i got knee tendinitis and it was working..... gets a bit boring though.

• Members

I started to do very intense body weight work with a friend of mine who is a very intense personal trainer. I am actually seeing some very concrete results. I am combining this with my usual martial arts classes and lots of walking. I really recommend talking and working with pro.

• Members

I've never really been in that good shape. I mean I'm not overweight, but I have essentially no muscle. I can barely do a real pushup. What's a good way to start building some muscle to look and feel better? All I have equipment wise is treadmill and I don't really have a lot of money to go out buying stuff. Anybody have a plan or dvd or something that might work for me.

Buy a set of dumbells. Basically the bars and about 50lbs of 10lb and 5lb plates. There's a ton of cool stuff you can do for upper body with a flat bench and dumbells.

• Members
Google power90, or power90x if your up for it. Yes it is a cheesy exercise video but it seems like alot of people are satisfied....and you can acquire it for free if you know where to look.
:thu:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=p90x+results&aq=0&oq=p90x+

I was doing regular p90 until i got knee tendinitis and it was working..... gets a bit boring though.

Yeah, check out p90x. My friend started that a while ago and got ripped.

• Members

Do you/anyone think this is for real? I mean, it looks almost plausible, due to the #of reps we're talking.... I'm curious.

But, for example, no one should believe that bowflex commercial when those bodybuilders/models tell you that 20 mins 3x a week will get you a body like theirs...

:cop:

Archived