Dream Theater used to be awesome!

shredbadtone

• Members

good timing, I was thinking of watching this and the 5 years in a Livetime DVD over a few brewskies today.

I have to disagree tho, to me they still are awesome, been a fan since discovering them with their release of Images and Words.

By the time Jordon joined them for Scenes I feel they had done the Dreamtheater thing about as far as they could, many songs were becoming recycled and they sounded the same to me.

Train of Thought brought a bit of a harder edge and with Systematic Chaos they really started showing their love for Metal, which to me really invigorates Dreamtheater music.

They still find a perfect blend of Jordan's keyboards and John's guitar playing, a combination of prog and metal. I like how James is singing lower now and not straining so hard to hit those high notes, can get a bit shrill now and then.

As much as we would like our favorite bands to remain the same, it's necessary for them to evolve musically or they will become stagnant.

Like your YouTube example, we still have the older stuff to go back to listen to and enjoy.

I am looking forward to the new cd Black Clouds and Silver Linings, it sounds like it's going to be a great one.

I don't want to get bummed by Dreamtheater's constant evolving, I want to embrace it.:)

• Members

That is my favorite DT tune. A friend sent me a mixed tape with that song on it back in 94ish. Freaking great tune.

4:00 in is my favorite part!

Ive said it before....No Kevin Moore = No Dream Theater.

• Members

Too all the haters........

DT STILL {censored}IN ROCKS!!!

Great band, INCREDIBLE Musicians, great songs....

I do have to admit that I like alot of there earlier stuff a bit better, but they still write some GREAT stuff!!

:thu:

• Members

Hey look another post where 9ball tries to act cool.

still not happening for ya buddy.

coming from a 16 year old who still lives with mom and dad i'll go ahead and care about that a really whole lot right now. :lol:

• Members

Images and Words and Falling Into Infinity are enough to cement DT as among my all time favorites. The 2 Johns still bring the tones but the band as a whole just doesn't do it for me any more.

The new Amorphis and Anubis Gate are far superior to any DT album this century.

• Members
oh look another HCAF thread about how much an awesome band that pwns everyone here sucks and how everyone hates them
:rolleyes:

Are they better musicians than I am? Yup, but I am not a professional musician. A-Rod is better baseball player than I am and the Yankees still suck.

• Members
Are they better musicians than I am? Yup, but I am not a professional musician. A-Rod is better baseball player than I am and the Yankees still suck.

the sea has a lot of fish in it but it is still blue
or something......
:lol:

• Members

I love DT hugely; they are my favourite band, with the Pat Metheny Group very close behind. I am really looking forward to this album. A Nightmare to Remember and A Rite of Passage are both fantastic songs. The production, guitar tones, songwriting and vocal harmonies are all so very good.

I liked 'Chaos, but the lyrics did bug me, and the production isn't as good as what I've heard of Black Clouds.

Overall, very impressed, and eager to get the album. I've also very much enjoyed the Stargazer cover; I'm not going to buy the next ones, as I've ordered the 3-disc edition.

:thu:

• Members

i thought systematic chaos has some awesome stuff on it..... if you actually listen to it- the OP probably hasnt even heard the album lol

OK then, as someone who has heard Systematic Chaos, repeatedly, it's not a very good album. Especially not for Dream Theater, a band so deep in my musical DNA that no amount of sucking can ever extract it.

I think A Rite of Passage points toward a better album, combined with a few things Petrucci said at a clinic I attended a week or so ago. I don't expect it to top their early 90s work though.

• Members
yes it does
:cop:

Assuming that "does" means "is", then this is probably an old fan/new fan thing. Whatever. I love Images & Words and Awake, and will unreservedly say that they are prog metal landmarks. On Systematic Chaos, many of the riffs and licks strike me as retreads of those better records.

• Members

Assuming that "does" means "is", then this is probably an old fan/new fan thing. Whatever. I love Images & Words and Awake, and will unreservedly say that they are prog metal landmarks. On Systematic Chaos, many of the riffs and licks strike me as retreads of those better records.

i was around when they came out with images and words. i still like systematic chaos.

i think if you give it a good listen- you will find alot of good riffage in there. :idk:

i will say that i dont care for some of the more operatic/softer stuff they've done over the years and only have a few other albums of theirs.

Archived